Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Would he?

Undoubtedly yes!
55%
Hardly
36%
I'm avoiding this speculation
8%

Total votes: 74

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

Post by drafsack »

No not by the main stream only by a few old acid heads - a bit like rocky ericson
henno

Post by henno »

ah, good old roky...

i walked with a zombie last night......
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

drafsack wrote:No not by the main stream only by a few old acid heads - a bit like rocky ericson
Add their kids, too ;) Not a big, but quite an army, anyway :) ...
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

No Floydo? What a scenario. I only bothered listening to the incoherent shit that is Barrett's two solo albums on the whim that they may sound a bit like Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Incorrect, they sound like a spastic with an acoustic guitar making it up as he goes along (which figures). Buuuut... if I hadn't heard Piper I wouldn't have heard any other Barrett stuff, and I'm not of the generation to have witnessed the Floyd first time round, so there you are, the answer would surely be no.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

my breakfast. wrote:No Floydo? What a scenario. I only bothered listening to the incoherent shit that is Barrett's two solo albums on the whim that they may sound a bit like Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Incorrect, they sound like a spastic with an acoustic guitar making it up as he goes along (which figures). Buuuut... if I hadn't heard Piper I wouldn't have heard any other Barrett stuff, and I'm not of the generation to have witnessed the Floyd first time round, so there you are, the answer would surely be no.
Dear oh dear, you are sad little man, aren't you? Why do you continue to post in a section of this forum dedicated to a musician most of us respect which of course, you obviously don't?

of course, you are absolutely entitled to your own opinions about Syd's music, but please have some respect for those of us that do appreciate Barrett's legacy and choose your words wisely. Thank you!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I think that he does respect Syd Barrett. Or at least, he does respect Syd Barrett as a guitar player before he lost his mind and got kicked out the band.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

PublicImage wrote:I think that he does respect Syd Barrett. Or at least, he does respect Syd Barrett as a guitar player before he lost his mind and got kicked out the band.
See, this is exactly why I rarely post on this forum! This is a great Floyd site but many of you make it impossible to enjoy the experience.

Everything related to Barrett appears to be nothing more than a big joke to some of you. Do you think mental illness is funny (not that I'm saying Syd was mentally ill; I don't know and neither do you)? Making rude remarks like that just shows your ignorance...it's a shame really!

Now I'm off to the Roger Waters section to discuss how he exploited Syd's condition in order to make money and build his corporate empire. Oh yeah, musn't forget to mention that his singing voice is one of the worst in the history of recorded music and that his solo output is nothing more than absolute crap! Apparently, he's considered the sane one... Bye!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Metal Mickey wrote:1. Everything related to Barrett appears to be nothing more than a big joke to some of you.

2. Do you think mental illness is funny (not that I'm saying Syd was mentally ill; I don't know and neither do you)?

3. Making rude remarks like that just shows your ignorance...it's a shame really!

4. Now I'm off to the Roger Waters section to discuss how he exploited Syd's condition in order to make money and build his corporate empire.

5. Oh yeah, musn't forget to mention that his singing voice is one of the worst in the history of recorded music

6. and that his solo output is nothing more than absolute crap!

7. Apparently, he's considered the sane one...

8. Bye!
1. Yes, that would explain why my favourite Pink Floyd album is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Just accept that some people don't like Syd Barrett's solo album. Tastes vary, and it has nothing to do with viewing him as a joke.

2. What gives you that impression? There are no humourous comments made on the topic by anybody in this thread.

3. How is it ignorant? It's been well established by the band that Syd Barrett suffered from some kind of mental disorder and was extremely difficult to work with or even talk to in his later days with the band, and there are plenty of accounts from people who he knew in the late '60s that suggest he was anything but sane. I've read enough about the topic to take a safe assumption that he was not mentally healthy.

4. I'm looking forward to it, although I don't see how it has any relevance to this thread at all.

5. Is it? I don't recall hearing any particularly unpleasant vocal performance of his. His voice is nowhere near as bad as Jon Anderson's or Geddy Lee's. I think that his generally brilliant songwriting ability makes up for these supposed poor vocals, anyway.

6. I disagree, but I can't say that I'm overly fond of Amused To Death. The production is ghastly and the album is too long for its own good.

7. Yes. This is because there is little to suggest that he suffers from a mental disorder, unless you have contrary evidence, in which case I'll gladly review my opinion. He's just very opportunistic and takes advantage of his situations.

8. Tinkerty tonk!
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i think he would be discovered after his death in much the same way as nick drake was.

of course nick drake is easier to listen to.

i like a lot of both of syd's solo albums but i prefer his first more acoustic album over the other one.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

PublicImage wrote:
Metal Mickey wrote:1. Everything related to Barrett appears to be nothing more than a big joke to some of you.

2. Do you think mental illness is funny (not that I'm saying Syd was mentally ill; I don't know and neither do you)?

3. Making rude remarks like that just shows your ignorance...it's a shame really!

4. Now I'm off to the Roger Waters section to discuss how he exploited Syd's condition in order to make money and build his corporate empire.

5. Oh yeah, musn't forget to mention that his singing voice is one of the worst in the history of recorded music

6. and that his solo output is nothing more than absolute crap!

7. Apparently, he's considered the sane one...

8. Bye!
1. Yes, that would explain why my favourite Pink Floyd album is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Just accept that some people don't like Syd Barrett's solo album. Tastes vary, and it has nothing to do with viewing him as a joke.

2. What gives you that impression? There are no humourous comments made on the topic by anybody in this thread.

3. How is it ignorant? It's been well established by the band that Syd Barrett suffered from some kind of mental disorder and was extremely difficult to work with or even talk to in his later days with the band, and there are plenty of accounts from people who he knew in the late '60s that suggest he was anything but sane. I've read enough about the topic to take a safe assumption that he was not mentally healthy.

4. I'm looking forward to it, although I don't see how it has any relevance to this thread at all.

5. Is it? I don't recall hearing any particularly unpleasant vocal performance of his. His voice is nowhere near as bad as Jon Anderson's or Geddy Lee's. I think that his generally brilliant songwriting ability makes up for these supposed poor vocals, anyway.

6. I disagree, but I can't say that I'm overly fond of Amused To Death. The production is ghastly and the album is too long for its own good.

7. Yes. This is because there is little to suggest that he suffers from a mental disorder, unless you have contrary evidence, in which case I'll gladly review my opinion. He's just very opportunistic and takes advantage of his situations.

8. Tinkerty tonk!
Oh, how very formal of you...

1. Making references to him "loosing his mind" and being "kicked out of the band" does imply to me that you have no sympathy for him what so ever. It also appears that you are making light of the situation...does it not? However, that retort was mainly aimed at the ridiculous things said by my breakfast concerning Syd's solo albums...those comments were incredibly rude! As I said in my first post, I have no problem at all with people disliking any of Barrett's music I just don't like people using that kind of insensitive language to describe their feelings about something they dislike, especially if it's mentioned in a section of the forum dedicated to the individual in question.

2. See #1

3. I had no idea that any of the other Floyd members were mental health professionals...thanks for the insight! In all seriousness, I don't think you'll find many Barrett fans that will disagree with the fact that he suffered some kind of prolonged breakdown in '67 that ultimately led to his leaving the band. Nor will many disagree that the remaining Floyd members had no other choice but to part ways with him. However, it is open to debate as to whether he got the boot or simply chose to leave of his own accord.
My comment about ignorance stems from your lack of respect for what he went through not b/c I believe he was sane or insane.

4. The RW rant was in reference to the fact that some people come in this section and p**s on Barrett continually. I was merely being ironic when I said that I was off to the Waters thread to diss him...I guess you didn't pick that one up. Next time I'll try to be a little clearer as you seem to take things too literally...sorry!

5. Like you said; I have to except the fact that some people don't like Barrett's solo work you should accept the fact that many people find Waters' voice unbearable. He is a great songwriter though.

6. Yep, his solo work is garbage but so is the solo work of the others (except Barrett, of course), IMO.

7. All I have to say is that people who fight legal battles over an inflatable pig are certifiable.

8. Right back at ya - what ever that means!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Metal Mickey wrote:See, this is exactly why I rarely post on this forum! This is a great Floyd site but many of you make it impossible to enjoy the experience.
Cos we don't say what you want to hear?
Metal Mickey wrote:Everything related to Barrett appears to be nothing more than a big joke to some of you. Do you think mental illness is funny (not that I'm saying Syd was mentally ill; I don't know and neither do you)? Making rude remarks like that just shows your ignorance...it's a shame really!
No, I appreciate Barrett's contribution to the early Floyd material, I just think that after he spazzed out (and was fired form the band for being too unreliable) his material lost all coherency and fusion. If you want to blame anybody, blame the gold brickers who squeezed albums out the poor sucker when he was in no mental condition. As for ignorance, I am a classically trained musician with perfect pitch, and I am adept at a wide variety of musical intruments, I view myself as a better musician than Syd Barrett, and therefore I feel I have an authority to question Barrett's solo albums for what they really are, incoherent stuff that would barely warrant a demo tape.

Perhaps this should be retitled "would Syd get a solo contract if Pink Floyd hadn't achieved success". I doubt it. He would have been farmed off quietly somewhere.
Metal Mickey wrote:Now I'm off to the Roger Waters section to discuss how he exploited Syd's condition in order to make money and build his corporate empire. Oh yeah, musn't forget to mention that his singing voice is one of the worst in the history of recorded music and that his solo output is nothing more than absolute crap! Apparently, he's considered the sane one... Bye!
Corporate Empire, thats what Gilmour is guilty of far more than Waters (and I weep when I think that people on this forum barely notice that, being gullible and falling for the lightshow and all). Also, you bash Waters a lot here, so whats stopping me calling you ignorant here, just because you would rather here people bash Waters (the guy who saved Pink Floyd from a boring psychedelic novelty act once Syd left) than bash Syd?!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

No.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Ok, reading Syd Barrett fan's stuff on this forum makes my eyes bleed, so I didn't read fully Metal Mickey (who I've been assured is a nice person even if she seems on Roger and My case the whole time in a vaguely troll-like manner) post. So here goes Metal Michael.

Metal Mickey wrote:Everything related to Barrett appears to be nothing more than a big joke to some of you.
No, only his disgraceful solo albums, but do carry on...
Metal Mickey wrote:Do you think mental illness is funny (not that I'm saying Syd was mentally ill; I don't know and neither do you)?
Hmmm, a guy who changes personality overnight after becoming too unreliable as a guitarist and singer to even be allowed in the public spotlight.... mental illness?

And whilst we are on the subject, your little astral forum thought mental illness wasn't serious enough for Barrett to deserve any kind of privacy, so don't come preaching to us.
Metal Mickey wrote:Making rude remarks like that just shows your ignorance...it's a shame really!
Nope, your close-mindedness and generally mislead opinion that everything Syd Barrett is undeniably excellent is the REAL shame here.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

my breakfast. wrote:Ok, reading Syd Barrett fan's stuff on this forum makes my eyes bleed, so I didn't read fully Metal Mickey (who I've been assured is a nice person even if she seems on Roger and My case the whole time in a vaguely troll-like manner) post. So here goes Metal Michael.

Metal Mickey wrote:Everything related to Barrett appears to be nothing more than a big joke to some of you.
No, only his disgraceful solo albums, but do carry on...
Metal Mickey wrote:Do you think mental illness is funny (not that I'm saying Syd was mentally ill; I don't know and neither do you)?
Hmmm, a guy who changes personality overnight after becoming too unreliable as a guitarist and singer to even be allowed in the public spotlight.... mental illness?

And whilst we are on the subject, your little astral forum thought mental illness wasn't serious enough for Barrett to deserve any kind of privacy, so don't come preaching to us.
Metal Mickey wrote:Making rude remarks like that just shows your ignorance...it's a shame really!
Nope, your close-mindedness and generally mislead opinion that everything Syd Barrett is undeniably excellent is the REAL shame here.
No comment because that's what you want! I have a feeling you enjoy rubbing people the wrong way which is a shame because you seem quite articulate even if you did call me a troll!

I will say one thing though. I have never ever considered stalking Syd Barrett...I don't even live in the same country as he did. You're way off the mark with that one!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Metal Mickey wrote:No comment because that's what you want!
Well I call it "lively debate" but each to their own. No comment.
Metal Mickey wrote:I have a feeling you enjoy rubbing people the wrong way which is a shame because you seem quite articulate even if you did call me a troll!
But this is a comment?!?! Anyway, I don't derive any satisfaction from rubbing people up the wrong way, I derive satisfaction by re-educating wildly delusional people who need a hand.
Metal Mickey wrote:I will say one thing though. I have never ever considered stalking Syd Barrett...I don't even live in the same country as he did. You're way off the mark with that one!
And what is your policy of making the fruits of such stalkings (commercially or otherwise) available?