Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Would he?

Undoubtedly yes!
55%
Hardly
36%
I'm avoiding this speculation
8%

Total votes: 74

Dream To Dust
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

Post by Dream To Dust »

Did someone mention fairies??!!
I
Image fairies!!!!!!!
May delightful fairy blessings of everlasting happiness rain down upon one and all (even that awful, awful Mr. Breakfast man).
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Re:

Post by GilmourGirl »

Keith Jordan wrote:Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but Piper was pretty much Syd's album. The others were just musicians! 8)
Well said!! But Wright had a great input on this album as well, he worked so well with Barrett that it's almost as much his masterpiece as well. Yes Barrett would be remembered, if only because of "Piper". That is a great album.
Dream To Dust
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dream To Dust »

Well, thank heavens the magical wee folk can transform all of this negative energy people aim at them into happy sunshiny rainbows which brighten our lives and turn frowns upside down....Image Image :) :)

By the way, the "yes" votes in this poll are winning and gaining more ground over the "no" votes every day. The fairies told me that the no people are really just a bunch of grumpy ol' stinkers out to poo-poo something any chance they get. :smt110

Of course Syd wouldn't be as well known if his ex-band didn't go on to become as famous as they did and bring extra attention to him. But to say he wouldn't be remembered at all may be going a bit too far; which is what could be implied by simply voting no to the question without explanation.

...unless the question is meant as "would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't ever achieved success (or gotten to be known) at all? In that case the answer would definitely be leaning more towards no (obviously).
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Metal Mickey wrote:I can't believe you called somebody's hard work, whether you like it or not, filth! :shock: That's just WRONG! Shame on you for being so vile! [-X
Nah, you'll get used to it, trust me - I've been on this forum for almost 3 years ;)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

oz1701 wrote:i think he would be discovered after his death in much the same way as nick drake was.

of course nick drake is easier to listen to.

i like a lot of both of syd's solo albums but i prefer his first more acoustic album over the other one.
Nick Drake dead - what about the bad seeds did they split up after??
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

*deep sigh* Some folks will just NEVER get it.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I have to confess that the first couple of times I listened to syds solo's I had dropped a few Q's before hand and it all seemed to make sense. I can now listen to Syds solo's without the Q's and it still makes sence.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

drafsack wrote:
oz1701 wrote:i think he would be discovered after his death in much the same way as nick drake was.

of course nick drake is easier to listen to.

i like a lot of both of syd's solo albums but i prefer his first more acoustic album over the other one.
Nick Drake dead - what about the bad seeds did they split up after??

That's Nick Cave love.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

kingfisher_flashing wrote:
drafsack wrote: Nick Drake dead - what about the bad seeds did they split up after??

That's Nick Cave love.
I know - just havin some fun
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Very good. 8) :lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Dream To Dust wrote:Did someone mention fairies??!!
I
Image fairies!!!!!!!
May delightful fairy blessings of everlasting happiness rain down upon one and all (even that awful, awful Mr. Breakfast man).
oh i see i get a special mention here. atleast ive contributed something to this thread, even if its not what delusional shit like yourself want to hear. would it kill you if i told you faries dont actually exist, retard? see, people, you dedicate a bit of forum space to syd and it attracts inbred hippy scum with their "positive energy" and total shit like that. why cant they just talk about barrett for what he was, a semi tallented poet with no guitar skills who fucked up on LSD? not this fucking religious figure some retards here pretend to have a connection with or whatever.
Dream To Dust
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dream To Dust »

I don't know how I could've made it any more obvious that the fairy comments were farcical. Nice comprehension skills. :lol:

atleast ive contributed something to this thread...
Back up and pay attention this time and maybe you'll notice that I have contributed on-topic serious comments to this thread.

Speaking of delusional: did you know that useless name calling, a ridiculously insolent demeanor, and wild exaggerations (and outright fabrications) do not make for very convincing arguments on any topic?

...and dude, I couldn't help noticing you're like radiating some totally harsh vibes, and it's freakin' everyone out and bringin' us down, man. Why don't you go like smell some flowers, commune with your spirit guide and mellow out for a while, man.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

Nice comments, Dream to Dust!

Actually, I'm not taking what this cat says seriously anymore, apparently, he's only in his late teens early 20's...that explains the harsh tone in his comments...he's just going through growing pains :lol:

Perhaps once you get some life experience, your ridiculous rants will hold much more weight. Until then, your youthful screams for attention seem a little on the pathetic side.

Oh yes, by the time Syd Barrett was your age he had legions of fans (the likes of which include Jimmy Page, Pete Townsend, Clapton, Bowie, to name a few) and a recording contract. If you profess to be so much better than he, then why don't you have the same? Perhaps you're one of those artists that people just 'don't get', huh? Or maybe you're just kidding yourself?

If you were truely a gifted musician, as you say you are, you would see the merit in all music whether you like it or not. Maybe you'll learn this once you become a man.