publius enigma

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

publius enigma

Post by white rabbit »

does anybody know anything about the so-called "publius enigma" and the secret message that's supposed to be in division bell? there were supposedly several clues that would lead you to the answer of the "riddle". and david gilmour claimed he knew nothing of it, but the words "publius enigma" turn up on the last pages of (i think) the division bell cd booklet, because for the booklet, they added to pages additional to the original booklet. i believe it was in the lower right hand corner on the page that had a picture of a tree i believe. it's been a while since i learned of this, so it may no all be correct. but i do remember the words were very small, almost invisible, and faint. but anybody who knows about this, i want to hear more. and did anybody ever figure out who it was, or what the secret message was?
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

It was all propaganda. This anonymous poster from the Pink Floyd newsgroup just started posting some crazy things.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

If you can find the Pink Floyd Encyclopedia in a bookstore or library, it's got an extensive explanation of the Publius Enigma. The big mystery was never solved, and people don't really know the real story behind it all. If you run a search for it online, I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of information.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

yeah, David said once it was the record companies idea. Just to get people to communicate. A sort of cult mystery like Wizard of Oz and such. You were to follow clues in the music, art work, live performances. Just something to talk about. And look at us, its still alive today. It was a neat little thing-
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The words "publius enigma" also appeared on the circular screen behind the band on some of their 1994 tour dates.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Below is a link to a site about the publius enigma

http://folk.uio.no/ericsp/floyd.html
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by white rabbit »

okay, i don't really care if it was the record company's idea or not, i just lost a lot of respect for david gilmour. that kinda seems sort of shallow if you ask me. but i guess it wasn't really a money-making scheme. so there's that at least. but still, that kinda seems like a cry for help. kinda like when soda companies start having big promotions on their bottle caps when sales become lax.

:?
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

I don?t know. Maybe he just wanted to exploit the concept of the album.

Post by mosespa »

Charade I am wrote:I don?t know. Maybe he just wanted to exploit the concept of the album.

You know...that's a pretty viable possibility...after all, I'm sure Gilmour was just glad that THIS album HAD a concept.
wgmw
Axe
Axe

Post by wgmw »

drafsack wrote:The words "publius enigma" also appeared on the circular screen behind the band on some of their 1994 tour dates.

I believe the words "publius Enigma" only appeared at the East Rutherford New Jersey show. It wasn't on the big circle light behind them but the lights in the front. Many people think you put the album
The Division Bell with the movie The Planet of the Apes though i've never got it to sync up correctly.
Last edited by wgmw on Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
senorklein
Embryo
Embryo

Publius

Post by senorklein »

The Division Bell tour was going on my freshman year in college,
where I was an internet junkie. My roomate and I were deeply involved in the enigma, and I must say, was an incredible experience to try to solve the enigma.

That said, I look back now and I think how absolutely cool, innovative, and hacker-ish for Floyd to do this. Think about it, back then there were maybe 1% of the people on the net compared to now
(Mosaic was just coming out), and PF was hip enough to know how it might play out.

Since I consider very innovative code, or tech. similar to art. I can draw an analogy from the enigma to the concept art that Floyd did
in the 60's. Just with more modern thinking.

Anyways.. just my .02, at least I don't feel duped by them.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

wgmw wrote:
drafsack wrote:
The words "publius enigma" also appeared on the circular screen behind the band on some of their 1994 tour dates.
I believe the words "puplius Enigma" only appeared at the East Rutherford New Jersey show. It wasn't on the big circle light behind them but the lights in the front. Many people think you put the album

Hey wgmw its nice to see you posting. We were both right the words "Enigma puplius did appear in the lights at the East Rutherford New Jersey show and the word "Enigma" did appear behind the band at one of the earls court shows. It can be seen during "Another brick in the wall prt 2" on the TV broadcast version of the show. The strange thing is on the "Pulse" version of the show it has been removed
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

mosespa wrote:
Charade I am wrote:I don´t know. Maybe he just wanted to exploit the concept of the album.

You know...that's a pretty viable possibility...after all, I'm sure Gilmour was just glad that THIS album HAD a concept.
For quite some time, I've felt the PE was a ploy to make people actually believe TDB had a groundbreaking concept that was so profound that nobody could really figure it out :lol:
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:
mosespa wrote:

For quite some time, I've felt the PE was a ploy to make people actually believe TDB had a groundbreaking concept that was so profound that nobody could really figure it out :lol:

It doesn?t have to have a "groundbreaking" concept.....just a concept, and it has one, and I think that PE was just an interesting way to interact with the public, and let them know what they wanted to communicate with this album. I think it?s a cool idea...I would?ve done it too.