I Don't Understand . . .

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
earpro
Embryo
Embryo

I Don't Understand . . .

Post by earpro »

There's all this promotion about NPF Live . . .

Yet the tribute CDs are not very available . . .

One would think the live shows and the CDs would go hand in hand . . .

wouldn't you say? . . .
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean by "not very available."

I've never heard of anyone having difficulty receiving them.

Perhaps you could try asking someone either to seed them or send them to you before you declare them "not very available?"

This isn't a department store...you should ASK if there's something that you want.

Unfortunately, the shelves on which we usually display things are in the process of being repainted :lol: :lol:
earpro
Embryo
Embryo

I Don't Understand . . .

Post by earpro »

Well the thing is . . .

I've been in the music promotion business for a long, long time . . .
That's one of our company's main functions . . .

And I know first hand . . . no matter how good your CDs are . . . if people have to go through more than one step to get them . . . many people won't bother . . . They have lives to live . . .

So this automatically gives the CD less exposure than it COULD have . . .

I love these two NPF Tribute sets . . . Many impressive artists on them! . . .

And I'm grateful to be included on both sets . . . in such good company! . . .
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I understand your points, but here's the thing about these sets.

Technically, they are bootlegs.

We cannot "sell" them and "proper" distribution requires a certain expenditure of funds...which no one (that I know of, anyway) has access to.

The only way we can distribute them is through vines, torrent and the random "copying it for a friend and hoping that they copy it for a friend, as well" methods.

Volume One was apparently downloaded over a thousand times, so...I think the distribution works pretty well.
earpro
Embryo
Embryo

Post by earpro »

Well I know the tribute sets can't be sold without proper rights deals . . .

But doesn't it seem like you're being a pest when you have to ask people to seed the CDs? . . .

As far as I've seen . . . there's no other project in the world like these tribute sets . . . Made by artists from all over the world . . .

And 1,000 amounts to zero when it comes to any kind of global notice . . .

Perhaps I'm the only one involved with these two sets to think they deserve greater notice . . .

And actually, it wouldn't be that hard for me to set up proper licensing to sell these sets for a small price . . . I've long been dealing with BMI and Ascap for licensing Pink Floyd material . . . Most of it's BMI . . . And they are extremely easy to deal with . . .

After that . . . our company works with a whole lot of distribution channels . . .

Sorry . . . I'm just really impressed with the phenomena of these CDs . . . And how many impressive artists are on them . . .
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Our 15 mins of fame, huh Sean :) ? I mean, if the deal is okay...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Hey Mr Lutes (earpro), perhaps you should get us the rights sorted on the next one and we can ship them at £5 a go to cover costs! 8)
earpro
Embryo
Embryo

Post by earpro »

I would be glad to set this up . . . if anyone's interested . . .

But it just seems logical to me . . . in my promoter state of mind . . . that if you're doing NPF Live festivals . . . you damn sure make obtaining the CDs as easy as posible at the same time . . .

You take advantage of the NPF Live publicity to distribute more CDs . . .
earpro
Embryo
Embryo

Post by earpro »

Actually . . .

I wish I had a big stack of the NPF Tribute CDs right now . . .

I'm going to the Roger Waters show in West Palm Beach, Florida next Friday May 18 . . . And I would hand them out all over the place there . . .

I know a couple guys in Waters' crew, and I wouldn't give a shit about slapping them down in front of Waters' face . . .
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Would we just be doing this for the new volume or for both of the preceding as well?

D'ya think Double Core would fit into this scheme? :D
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Something thats being overlooked here is that the NPF live show isnt actually connected to the tribute CDs from last year as such. While it wouldnt hurt for one to ride on the back of the other the festival is simply what we are doing next. The tribute CDs were a heap of fun in their own right and have been laid to bed. The only connection is that they are both NPF projects and now time is being devoted to one of those projects rather than both, I dont want to paint myself as a martyr but it is just me at present in the middle of all this and there is only so much I can do at one time. Something we have found from the previous tribute CDs we have compiled is that after the intial release interest is very minimal and as a fellow promoter Im sure you'll realise that it is energy deficient to expend time on a product that has run its course give or take a passing interest by one or 2 people every couple of months when you have something on the horizon that requires your full attention. This is what I do for a living and its not gone wrong yet....give it time tho :lol:
earpro
Embryo
Embryo

Post by earpro »

OK . . .

I'm dropping the subject . . .

Guess I was more amused by the Tribute CDs than most . . .

And by the way, I knew there might be other tributes, like the Radio Head tribute . . . What I meant was I hadn't seen any other world wide fan tribute CDs to just Floyd material . . .