Does Rick have a new album coming out or not?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Moom

Rule one - i dont expect everybody to agree with me and I am stating my opinion

Rule two - F##K off - your not my mother - she sits in a pot on the shelf
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I thought Broken China was ok but far too boring to be listened to the full way through very often. Excellent song at the end though
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Rick's two albums are patchy but aren't without their moments. There's no doubt that he's very talented and has had a hand in writing some essential songs in the Pink Floyd canon but I'm not expecting a masterpiece if this new album comes out. Mind you, if I am wrong I will be more than happy to eat my hat/streak naked down the High Street/eat my greens.
Ton Up Alvis
Blade
Blade

Post by Ton Up Alvis »

snifferdog wrote:Rick's two albums are patchy but aren't without their moments. There's no doubt that he's very talented and has had a hand in writing some essential songs in the Pink Floyd canon but I'm not expecting a masterpiece if this new album comes out. Mind you, if I am wrong I will be more than happy to eat my hat/streak naked down the High Street/eat my greens.
That's 3 albums.
:D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I wasn't including the Zee album in my calculations.... Or his new one. Just clarifying this so the locals can go about their day to day business :D
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Does Rick have a new album coming out or not?

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I love Wet Dream and Broken China and I hope he does come with some more, although I'm a bit worried about his voice, but after all, studio recording is not concert. Let's keep the fingers crossed.

BTW, I also listened to Anthony Moore's (collaborator on Broken China, AMLOR and Division Bell) band Slapp Happy recently. If there is anything like "pop in opposition" (like RIO, rock in opposition), then it's this band. Funny and charming.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Broken China is so amazing it destroys all Roger's solo albums, mwaha!
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

Eclipse wrote:Broken China is so amazing it destroys all Roger's solo albums, mwaha!
I wouldn't say that, but Rick deficiently proves that you can convey feelings without too many words. Waters does not seem to understand this.
Painmaster
Blade
Blade

Post by Painmaster »

I'd rather see this then more rerereremastering of floyd stuff
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I dunno, to me Broken Chine is kinda boring... And draf, you're even more rude than some.

P.S. 4000 at last :D :D :D :D :D !!!!!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

According to Brain Damage, Rick is indeed recording a new solo album, which will be instrumental and based around the different sounds of the piano.

He says he has got lots of stuff recorded for it, and it may be a real "solo" album with him being the only performer on it (although that remains undecided).

It is apparently going to come out next year. Believe it when you see/hear it, but that is what he says.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

moom wrote:I dunno, to me Broken Chine is kinda boring... And draf, you're even more rude than some.

i didnt care for broken china either but i only listened to it once. some albums do grow on you if you listen to them a few times. i have to say though - ive heard lots worse however they shall remain nameless (because they were so unmemorable i cant remember them) :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

oz1701 wrote:
moom wrote:I dunno, to me Broken Chine is kinda boring... And draf, you're even more rude than some.

i didnt care for broken china either but i only listened to it once. some albums do grow on you if you listen to them a few times. i have to say though - ive heard lots worse however they shall remain nameless (because they were so unmemorable i cant remember them) :lol:
Yes :) Only of the main things I hate about some albums is that tracks on them are repetitive. For example, about 5 years ago I was heavily into Korn's songs "Thoughtless" and "Alone I break", so I bought "Untouchables" when it came out. But maaaaan how boring the rest of the material is!! First track - a rhythmic "sludge metal", I thought "okay, next", and thext was 99% alike! Third one - again! The rest of the material I listened only in pieces, winding the tape forward. Or, the other example, NIN - Fragile. Some say it's like nowadays The Wall. Maybe the lyrics indeed, but the sounds... The Wall is not as heavy sonicly, firstly, and secondly, it doesn't need to - the inner athmosphere adds nervousity. NIN probably decided that very heavy melody would do the same trick, but I beg to differ.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i've only heard "with teeth" by NIN and i dont know how that compares.

much as i like the album i find the constant distortion (which sounds like overloaded mike pots)

a bit distracting.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Constant distortion actually even irritates me.