Will Roger ever Release The Wall Live from 1981 on DVD

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will Roger ever Release The Wall Live from 1981 on DVD

Post by snifferdog »

That's what I was wondering as well... I suppose "Big" David Gilmour is better than the alternatives.

On the question of who owns The Wall, my understanding is that Roger got the rights to the whole thing, concept and all when the great Pink Floyd divorce took place in 1987. My impression is that David couldn't give a toss about The Wall (apart from the three songs he co-wrote) and wouldn't be pushing for it to come out on DVD. It's getting ridiculous though - there's been the film, that Berlin Wall show ( :smt019 ), a live album and possibly a musical. But still no sign of the original concerts.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

I'm thinking Dave said if it was up to him it would be out already. But it's Roger's baby, so he's more concerned about the quality probably.
oh by the way
Axe
Axe

Post by oh by the way »

As mentioned by the thread opener, the Behind The Wall Documentary on VH1 had excellent footage. I have watched it numerous times, as it is very interesting hearing the interviews of those involved and watching the construction and tearing down of The Wall. I highly recommend checking it out if you have not seen it.

Snifferdog is correct about Roger owning the rights.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

But one thing you don't see on the VH1 footage is the FILM projections, which probably look horrible and dark and flicker terribly. This is one reason why the Wall shows were harder to film and do justice to than a regular concert. And it's not a matter of just superimposing Mr. Screen as in the DSOT video, because in this case the projections on the wall itself had people and objects moving around in front of them. And there are other things I don't think got captured correctly, like the apparently incredible effect of Dave's shadow going out over the audience during Comfortably Numb. I'm worried the parts on VH1 were the only good parts shot, though hopefully I'm wrong!