Syd Love Poem to be Auctioned

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Syd Love Poem to be Auctioned

Post by moom »

PublicImage wrote:
moom wrote:Do I have one, and now look at me - I mastered the thing myself, and so did Syd: his floydian and solo stuff IS pretty much poetical. It's just that EVERY poet makes mistakes in the beginning :).
Until one has mastered poetical metre, form and all of the other aspects of prosody, then
one is most definitely not a proper poet.

Don't you wory about that ;) If I say I've mastared, then I mean that :)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Personally I would hardly call Syd's floyd lyrics poetical, and i would say this poem is hardly a masterpeice either. Then again i couldn't say i cared for the Syd paintings that i've seen either so i guess i think Syd is overrated

Anyway, Moom, no offence but i strongly doubt you are a proper poet who has mastered 'poetical metre, form and all of the other aspects of prosody' if you have not been educated in it first.

Perhaps present us with a poem and i may beleive you, but the lyrics you have shown us have had no signs of poetry in them (i don't mean that as in insult, rock lyrics rarely do) so i would be very surprised

And Public Image, personally i also love a good bit of free poetry as long as that is really what it is. In a number of cases i have thought the linebreaks were fairly needless and it could work as prose though :) A fair amount of it is a load of wank though. Especially when written by amatuers who are in the same creative writing society as me :lol:

A nice set of iambic pentameters is also very welcome though
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I have to agree that this "poem" is a weak prose effort at best. But I also have to say that there are so many of Syd's lyrics that evoke poetic imagery, that I don't agree with your assessment. I could write pages about Syd's lyrics, but I will spare you the diatribe! :lol:

As for Syd's artwork, I am not a great fan of the abstract. But I still regret to this day (and will forever) not having bid on and won the floral still life from his Camberwell days. I do love that piece.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

David Smith wrote:Personally I would hardly call Syd's floyd lyrics poetical, and i would say this poem is hardly a masterpeice either. Then again i couldn't say i cared for the Syd paintings that i've seen either so i guess i think Syd is overrated

Anyway, Moom, no offence but i strongly doubt you are a proper poet who has mastered 'poetical metre, form and all of the other aspects of prosody' if you have not been educated in it first.

Perhaps present us with a poem and i may beleive you, but the lyrics you have shown us have had no signs of poetry in them (i don't mean that as in insult, rock lyrics rarely do) so i would be very surprised

And Public Image, personally i also love a good bit of free poetry as long as that is really what it is. In a number of cases i have thought the linebreaks were fairly needless and it could work as prose though :) A fair amount of it is a load of wank though. Especially when written by amatuers who are in the same creative writing society as me :lol:

A nice set of iambic pentameters is also very welcome though
Tomorrow, pal :) But as for announcement - I write two ways: whether to somebody else's tune that already has lyrics, or just myself, but then I always or almost always try to follow aforementioned rules. Besides, I am not exactly a poet, but lyricist, which is not the same.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

True, i know they are very different. It is just that at the top of the page you claim to have 'mastered' poetic techniques
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

David Smith wrote:And Public Image, personally i also love a good bit of free poetry as long as that is really what it is. In a number of cases i have thought the linebreaks were fairly needless and it could work as prose though :) A fair amount of it is a load of wank though. Especially when written by amatuers who are in the same creative writing society as me :lol:
Yes, I suppose it would be unfair to dismiss all free poetry. I have read some good poetry in prose, but it just seems quite lazy when it is put next to 'proper' poetry that contains metre and other technical apects to it.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

moom wrote: Besides, I am not exactly a poet, but lyricist, which is not the same.

Bob Dylan might argue that point.

moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Well, let us contact each other, let's have a fair and friendly argument :)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

PublicImage wrote:Yes, I suppose it would be unfair to dismiss all free poetry. I have read some good poetry in prose, but it just seems quite lazy when it is put next to 'proper' poetry that contains metre and other technical apects to it.
So what poets are you in to?

I've only recently started reading poetry out of choice, but have come across a lot of excellent stuff as an English student. Last term for example we read stuff by Pope, Milton, Dryden, Marvel, Burns and Blake (who i was most impressed by).

Term before it was all Shakespeare, but back in first year we did a lot of poetic theory looking at modern Laurence, Plath and Eliot stuff so i've covered a wide spectrum without really getting in to very much of it. Also read a load of Poe's stuff.

Got quite in to Paradise Lost and the works of Blake, Burns and Dryden though so gained a proper appreciation of poetry out of English class rather than just reading it cause i had to
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I also started reading it relatively recently but I quite like Wordsworth, Keats, Shakespeare, Kipling, Wilde (did I even need to mention him? The Ballad of Reading Gaol is just sublime), Browning and Burns so far. Still a lot to discover, really!

On an interesting note, I think that poetry works more effectively when it is read out loud instead of just reading it in your head. It adds something more to it for me, at least.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

PublicImage wrote:On an interesting note, I think that poetry works more effectively when it is read out loud instead of just reading it in your head. It adds something more to it for me, at least.
Absolutely. You get a far stronger feel for the sounds and the feel of it. I remember in class hearing Burns' poem The Epistle to Davey being read out and it was one of the first poems i can geuinely say i really loved

But yeah, i've definitely still got loads to learn about it. Never read any of Wilde's poetry yet but i think i've got that one you mentioned in our course anthology from last year so will look it up later tonight

Got a book of poetry today actually. The Ted Hughes collection Birthday Letters written for Sylvia. Made for really moving reading so far. Found it in Fopp for 2 quid

Reminds me of when i found the complete works of Dryden in Pound Land :lol:

So anyone here read poetry more often than prose? If so who are your favourites and what did you make of Barret's (to kind of keep this more on topic, not that i think it is neceassrily off right now)
spikex
Embryo
Embryo

Post by spikex »

Hi
Check this out for a few of the facts !!!!
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_b ... 666420.ece
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Thanks for posting that Spidex! :D I had read it a couple of days ago and had meant to post it and forgot! :oops:
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

The poem sold for an amazing 4,600 pounds!!!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/ci ... 07f6bc.lpf
momentaryhawking

Post by momentaryhawking »

what amount was gotten for the poem: http://www.kslx.com/Article.asp?id=433422&spid=8005