Is this Rick Wright on a saxophone....

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Is this Rick Wright on a saxophone....

Post by PublicImage »

She must be talking about a different picture, moom. He looked drastically different in the '90s!
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Yes, he was most definitely gray-haired, and is sitting with Nick and David playing. I will post the picture tomorrow as it is saved on my hard drive at work. I believe the photo was taken around the time of release of AMLOR, so latter 1980s.

EDIT...I did upload it into Photobucket, so here it is...

Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Judging by Gilmour's haircut, the photo must have been taken later, I presume somewhere around 1990.
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

Syd'sSexy wrote:My understanding is that it is a talent that was completely self-taught. Totally "by ear" and through his appreciation and listening to music. He absolutely cannot read music (and readily admits it), though over time he has learned the musical keys, chords, etc. He is so awesome and so totally talented!
He actually inspired me to start saving for a keyboard. I guess I am about the same age as him when he started, and I can read music. If I can get anywhere close to what he could do by teaching myself I will be in heaven.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Rick's talent is not seen only through his keyboard playing. He is not a virtuoso or whatsoever. He is a wonderful composer first, then a good keyboard player, but then again he also plays guitar, vibraphone, saxophone, trombone, and various other instruments, and all that he learned by himself. That is where his talent lies. And yet, he is so dissatisfied with his work...
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

generalhooha wrote:He actually inspired me to start saving for a keyboard. I guess I am about the same age as him when he started, and I can read music. If I can get anywhere close to what he could do by teaching myself I will be in heaven.
If you get lessons, you will probably be better than him after around three years.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Even after a year, if you practice hard.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I didn't say anything about the looks :-s Of course I know Rick, and well everyone, looked drastically different in 90's (most of all - David and Roger, and least of all Nick).
I only said that I remember a picture from late 60's, where Rick's playing guitar. Let me go check in my big PF picture archive, perhaps I can also find something that NPF doesn't have :)
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Here's another very early picture of Rick that I have...

narcissus
Axe
Axe

Post by narcissus »

Aww, nice photo, Syd'sSexy.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

Rick can play many instruments, but I didn't knew he played the sax!
Good job Rick!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Most musicians can play many instruments...once you know one, it is easier to know how to negotiate how to play another...I used to be quite the multi-instrumentalist myself.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

Mr Wright told in an interview in the '80-ies that he played saxophone, but only for his own pleasure. Anyway, I do think Mr Wright played saxophone on the demos for "DSOTM" and his first solo album "Wet Dreams". Why I do this qualificated guessing is that I read somewere that Mr Parry wasn't involved from the beginning before the recordings of DSOTM. Also, I do have a small reminding of Mel Collins being in another band (or on tour) when Mr Write wrote "Wet Dreams".

By the way, I guess mr Wright is the one that have been the one who have been most advance in bringing sex to the topic in the Floyd sphere; he was the one who suggested the title "Ummagumma" for the bands first live-album, and also bringing this another suspect title on his first solo-album. And "Zee" could perhaps be the name of a striptease-club (or a stripper) somewere in the US...
;-)

Oh, I have to add one more thing; wasn't Mr Wright playing both sax, guitar and keyboards with his Greece band?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Peter Harold wrote:I do think Mr Wright played saxophone on the demos for "DSOTM". Why I do this qualificated guessing is that I read somewere that Mr Parry wasn't involved from the beginning before the recordings of DSOTM.
That's true that Dick Parry wasn't involved in The Dark Side project from the beginning, but the whole thing was radically different in the demo stage and there were no saxophones added yet. The same goes for Claire Torry's input.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Anyway...