Is this Rick Wright on a saxophone....

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Is this Rick Wright on a saxophone....

Post by tea-set »

PublicImage wrote:
generalhooha wrote:He actually inspired me to start saving for a keyboard. I guess I am about the same age as him when he started, and I can read music. If I can get anywhere close to what he could do by teaching myself I will be in heaven.
If you get lessons, you will probably be better than him after around three years.

you know you may be a better player technically but you will prob never be a better composer/songwriter/musician
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

tea-set wrote:you know you may be a better player technically but you will prob never be a better composer/songwriter/musician
You're clearly over-rating him.

He has never been one of the best composers in the world. He usually uses obvious chords and progressions, and his experimentalism is minimal. He's not bad, but he's not great. The only notable composition of his is The Great Gig In The Sky, which itself is extremely repetitive.

His songwriting skills are only average, and songwriting is not even relevant in a conversation about pianistic talent. I wouldn't say that Remember a Day, See Saw or Summer '68 have particularly good lyrics.

And being technically better is the same thing as being a superior musician. If somebody denied that Vladimir Ashkenazy isn't a better musician than Richard Wright on the basis that he does not compose would be ridiculous. His performances are more fluent and his level of technicaly proficiency is much higher.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

all i'm saying is that anyone can learn to play their favourite songs on an instrument but writing such songs takes something else, and if anyone on this board had such a thing they wouldn't spend there time on here
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

How do you know that they wouldn't spend some of their time here? There are a countless amount of great songwriters who aren't famous and undoubtedly use messageboards like this one. Massed Gadgets is a great example of such a person.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

well as much as i like MG and dont want to cause offence to him has he been part of a group that sold many many millions of albums?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Are you claiming that only people who've sold millions of records can be good songwriters/musicians?
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

not exactly but to be quite honest i dont care enough about this to spend anymore time talking about it.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Good, then you're accepting that I'm right. Thank you.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

ha no im not but unlike you i have better things to do than argue with people about meaningless shit on a pink floyd forum,

lifes too short man :D
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Of course I have better things to do. I just don't want to do them.

And life is not too short. It's perfectly long.
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

Life is no way too long.

After education and then work you only have about 10 years to do it for the lulz, of which most will be in pain from them kidney stones and the rest would only be yearning for the good ol' days.
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

tea-set wrote: you know you may be a better player technically but you will prob never be a better composer/songwriter/musician
I couldn't hope to be, but if I ever want to try I guess a keyboard is the best place to start.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Cowards wrote:Life is no way too long.

After education and then work you only have about 10 years to do it for the lulz, of which most will be in pain from them kidney stones and the rest would only be yearning for the good ol' days.
If it's too short, then why haven't you committed suicide yet? Why do you waste your precious free time on the internet?
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

Being a pianist/keyboardist for about 10 years now, I can say that I am far better than Rick technically but as a songwriter/composer I am not really comfortable yet, maybe it's because I have yet to have recorded anything, but only put some stuff on GuitarPro and Powertab Files!

Hell I even think PI is better technically than Rick, and he's been playing for about a year? Am I right on the Piiiiiiiiii?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Narek wrote:Hell I even think PI is better technically than Rick, and he's been playing for about a year? Am I right on the Piiiiiiiiii?
Probably not. I'm only at grade 3/4 standard. But I will be better than that foo in a few months! Chopin, Satie and Bartók are fun to play. More so than anything by Pink Floyd, anyway...