ABITWall 2 and Wish You Were Here: most popular songs???????

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Eclipse

ABITWall 2 and Wish You Were Here: most popular songs???????

Post by Eclipse »

Don't you think these two songs are the most popular? I mean, almost everyone I know that is not a great PF fan or doesn't know many of their songs says that ABITW2 and WYWH are the best songs (or just know these 2 songs...).
What do you think??? Are ABITW2 and WYWH PF most popular songs????
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The reason they are known so well as they are often used on compelations or charity albums. Another one is Money.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

yes indeed. When i ask my students if they know Pink Floyd, i almost always get "NO", but if i say " we don't need no education", most will say, o yes, didn't know it was Pink Floyd. It's simply because that song gets a lot of airplay and is sometimes on compilation albums. With guitarists WYWH is very known
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Spinoza wrote:yes indeed. When i ask my students if they know Pink Floyd, i almost always get "NO", but if i say " we don't need no education", most will say, o yes, didn't know it was Pink Floyd. It's simply because that song gets a lot of airplay and is sometimes on compilation albums. With guitarists WYWH is very known
your students are stupid. You should give them detention or kick them out of school :x :x :twisted: :evil:

:)
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

Comfortably Numb gets a lot of radio play too. I loved that song before I became a fan of Pink Floyd. I'd say the three most popular ones are ABINTW2, WYWH, and Comfortably Numb. :wink:
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I'm very glad that there are only a handful of songs that get airplay. Many a band are ruined because the radio stations beat their song to death by playing it 3 times an hour all day long. Pink Floyd is like a hidden treasure!!!
rollinder_
Embryo
Embryo

Post by rollinder_ »

There's a chillout sompilation with WYWH on
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I hate ABITW2 and can't beelive how popular it is, everyone in my school knows it and nobody actually likes it
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Let alone undertsand it! They all think it's just a rebellious song...well, it's not. Or not 'only'.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

no, i think i came up for a list of the most popular songs that went something like this

1. ABITW
2. Money
3. Brain Damage/Eclipse
4. Wish you were here
5. Comfortably numb
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

ABITW and WYWH here are song which people who are very new to Pink Floyd or just pose to be Pink Floyd fans talk about. This irks me no less. Another one is Comfortably Numb. However I dont hate ABITW because a lot of people like it or it gets a lot of airtime.

On occasions I find myself listening to Floyd and people coming up to me (I am talking about Britney Spears fans here). They pick up the cover and go....wooo Pink Floyd...cool! Have you heard their song ABITW? Is it on the same album (I am listening to TDB) and I find myself going :shock: ....anyways.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

yep.. if these people listen to Floyd's true good songs, like Shine On, Echoes, Time, Pigs (3do), Dogs, etc. , they'll probably become TRUE floyd fans.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Tommy wrote:
1. ABITW Part II
2. Money
3. Brain Damage/Eclipse
4. Wish you were here
5. Comfortably numb
These are definitely the best-known PF songs. ABITW Part II and Money are in a league of their own, though. They've been played so often that I actually do not mind skipping them every now and then when I'm listening to DSOTM and The Wall.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

There's only two songs I have heard in radio by Pink Floyd: ABITW and Money. Most of the people who doesn't know Pink FLoyd, know ABITW2 and I have once heard it on radio, it was somekind of techno-version, included Happiest Days Of Our Lives.
Weird, I have heard many times Money from one local radio station, but no other Pink Floyd -songs. Maybe I listen wrong stations.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:
Tommy wrote:
1. ABITW Part II
2. Money
3. Brain Damage/Eclipse
4. Wish you were here
5. Comfortably numb
These are definitely the best-known PF songs. ABITW Part II and Money are in a league of their own, though. They've been played so often that I actually do not mind skipping them every now and then when I'm listening to DSOTM and The Wall.
I don't know about BD/E being third though. I've never spoken to anyone who just knew of a handful of Floyd songs, and BD/E was one of them. Maybe it's just me...