Waters Article on Poverty for CNN

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Jascierto
Blade
Blade

Waters Article on Poverty for CNN

Post by Jascierto »

Hi all

thought you'd be interested in this article that roger wrote for CNN's website

enjoy

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/afric ... ommentary/
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Waters Article on Poverty for CNN

Post by Hudini »

Great!

Thanks, Jascierto!
hummingman
Blade
Blade

Post by hummingman »

Interesting, and I appreciate what he's saying. But I come to the conclusion that, like most other charitable attempts by musicians and similar people of wealth, Roger is being hipocritical. "...make a lasting change in the lives of people surviving on less than $1 a day. Think about that over your next New York Times and Starbucks coffee" How many millions of dollars are in Roger's bank accounts? I dont imagine he thinks about starving children when he drinks expensive coffee or buys newspapers, reading them from the comfort of his mulit-million dollar home(s). Yes, he's a spokesman, and wow he sold a guitar (how many does he have?). He could do so much more - so could everyone else admittably, but let's face it, he's in a much more effective financial position where he can contribute millions to this cause.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Maybe he does contribute to charity but doesn't want it publicised?

<bono_rant>That's what annoys me about Bono. He preaches to us all about what we should do but I'm always wondering does he put his hand in his own pocket? Plus, when the Irish government changed their tax laws last year, meaning that U2 were going to have to pay tax for a change, they promptly moved all their business interests to the Netherlands. </bono_rant>
zuma
Axe
Axe

Post by zuma »

hummingman wrote:Interesting, and I appreciate what he's saying. But I come to the conclusion that, like most other charitable attempts by musicians and similar people of wealth, Roger is being hipocritical. "...make a lasting change in the lives of people surviving on less than $1 a day. Think about that over your next New York Times and Starbucks coffee" How many millions of dollars are in Roger's bank accounts? I dont imagine he thinks about starving children when he drinks expensive coffee or buys newspapers, reading them from the comfort of his mulit-million dollar home(s). Yes, he's a spokesman, and wow he sold a guitar (how many does he have?). He could do so much more - so could everyone else admittably, but let's face it, he's in a much more effective financial position where he can contribute millions to this cause.
So it's his fault he got rich and can enjoy the fruits of his labor? Sorry but I don't buy that. Roger can't end world poverty by himself and is hardly a hypocrite. Is Gilmour a hypocrite too, for helping the homeless? I'm sorry but I don't agree with your assessment at all. Should they give every last dime they have and live in a box beside the road to prove they truly care? Roger cares and is doing something... and that's all that should matter.
Jascierto
Blade
Blade

Post by Jascierto »

I agree Zuma, it's an unfair criticism

Hummingman: Do you think that Rog should do what Peter Green did and donate every last cent to charity; or maybe become a monk and renounce all worldly possessions.

Seriously, though, are you saying that anyone with money that donates that money is hypocritical for having that money in the first place?

It seems as though people are never viewed as negatively as when they seek to do something positive.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

for as long as Ive been a Pink Floyd fan Rogers been speaking out about poverty, the inequities of capitalism and the victims of war (which he more than once hypothesises is itself a result of the inequities of capitalism)
he's written songs on almost every album about these topics, theres songs on Dark Side and theres songs on Amused to Death
in interviews he usually talks about these things, and he has always conspicuously donated to charity
according to the Schaffner book he spent much of the money he made off of Dark Side buying a block of flats in London for the poor
and he once put on this concert I saw in Berlin, where all the proceeds went to help the victims of war, there was an associated live album where the profits also went to the same charitable cause

I seem to recall he also performed a reunion with his old bandmates two years ago expressly for the purpose of raising awareness of poverty in Africa, but perhaps I drempt that one up
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

I think a lot of people do things anonymously too. One of Freddie Mercury's friends once said he used to write out big checks to charities when their commercials would air on TV, yet never talked about it.
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

I think that what Waters is doing is great. He is not a hypocrite; he has every right to live in a big house. Unlike other famous songwriters, Waters solely dedicates his songs and lyrics to his beliefs in helping people.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I gather that both Waters and Gilmour have quietly given away huge sums of money to worthy causes over the years. I see no hypocrisy in Waters now asking people to give a small amount of their/our money. He isn't asking for anyone to give their very last cent, just a small amount of money each would do, and I believe he is leading by example.