Guy Pratt's book

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guy Pratt's book

Post by snifferdog »

Is anyone else reading Guy Pratt's book "My Bass and Other Animals"? I'm only on Page 74 (in other words, not a sign of Pink Floyd yet) but enjoying the read. Nobody could accuse the man of having led a boring life. :arrow: The book on Amazon
whizzyfinger
Axe
Axe

Re: Guy Pratt's book

Post by whizzyfinger »

I've got it but I'm saving it to read while I am away on Holiday at the end of the Month.....I have seen his live show so I hope it has me LOL just as that did.

Snifferdog...Have you seen his live show?.....if so, does it compare ?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

No, I haven't seen his live show. He hasn't made it to Ireland with it...yet.
whizzyfinger
Axe
Axe

Post by whizzyfinger »

snifferdog wrote:No, I haven't seen his live show. He hasn't made it to Ireland with it...yet.
That's a shame...It was one of the Funniest standups I've been to.... :lol:

I saw him at the Midland Arts Centre in Birmingham and he came and chatted to 4 or 5 of us in the bar afterwards...very 'down to earth' bloke...He got through a 'few' glasses of wine and told us some of the stuff he doesn't do on stage...the dodgy and incriminating stuff.!!..

He is doing some gigs around the S of England, and also Liverpool but I hope he brings it back up to the Midlands at some point as I would love to see it again...

I am just hoping the book will be as good.... 8)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I saw his stand up.

Didn't actually find it particularly funny, he was obviously not a natural comedian in my opinion, but it was really interesting and worth seeing because he tells a damn good story rather than him being great at comedy
whizzyfinger
Axe
Axe

Post by whizzyfinger »

David Smith wrote:I saw his stand up.

Didn't actually find it particularly funny, he was obviously not a natural comedian in my opinion, but it was really interesting and worth seeing because he tells a damn good story rather than him being great at comedy

I thought it was hilarious....Did you see him at the Fringe, one of his early shows ?...

I think he has fine tuned the delivery.....at the MAC he was very good...
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Well, I finished the book. Some parts are very funny, though as you'd expect, not a lot of dirt dishing on Pink Floyd. I can understand why it took six years for Rick to properly accept Guy and Gala being together (by this time they were two years married) - there's plenty of sex, drugs and rock&roll in there. What a pity there are libel laws out there.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I might get that - I assumed that as Guy had written it there would be lots of big pictures inside
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

whizzyfinger wrote:
David Smith wrote:I saw his stand up.

I thought it was hilarious....Did you see him at the Fringe, one of his early shows ?...

I think he has fine tuned the delivery.....at the MAC he was very good...
Yeah, saw him at the Edinburgh Fringe so i beleive it was a very early show so that maybe explains it

It was early on in to the run so i think some of the material was altered shortly after the festival
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

good read i like i will be taking it along to get signed by Guy after i see him next Saturday at Windsor Arts Center the same venue were David Gilmour and co turned up to last year 8) :shock:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Anyone else seen Guy Pratt's brief bit of acting in Spaced?

It is the episode in series 1 where Tim and Diasy rescue their dog (episode 5, entitled Choas i think) and he is the guy who appears in the black and white bit and has the dog that attacks rich people that then goes on to attack him :)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

is that clip on youtube............
Found it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQdV0PBjf0

Never knew he was in this until now thanks for the info David :D and he also made the music for that show.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

azza200 wrote:Never knew he was in this until now thanks for the info David :D and he also made the music for that show.
Yeah, when i noticed his name in the credits for the first time i was like 'wow that's really cool' being that the only other show he had done at that point was The Young Persons Guide to Being a Rockstar... But the less said about that the better

Ah Spaced, what a show. Got the triple disc set and watch it constantly :D
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I've only ever seen one episode of Spaced, being attracted into seing it by the fact that Mark Heap is in it, and I thought it was totally hilarious. But it hasn't been on TV since and I don't have the DVD set, which is quite annoying! I guess I'll just have to live with Big Train in the meantime.

Anyway, on the topic of Guy Pratt, I have neither seen his show or read his book, but I'll see him at the NPF festival in August, which should be good.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

PublicImage wrote:I've only ever seen one episode of Spaced, being attracted into seing it by the fact that Mark Heap is in it, and I thought it was totally hilarious. But it hasn't been on TV since and I don't have the DVD set, which is quite annoying! I guess I'll just have to live with Big Train in the meantime.
Should get it someday. Is a show you'll find yourself watching a lot and also the sort of show you want to introduce all your freiends to. Big Train was quality too, although i am in the minority that preffered season 2 to the first one by quite a lot.

As far as shows with Mark Heap go i preffered Brass Eye and Jam to Big Train.

Well... Obviously Green Wing too, but that goes without saying

On Pratt i shant be attending the show i don't think, but quality that he agreed to do it, and on his book can anyone who has read it tell me what sort of standard the writing is at?