One for the KAOS fans

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Hearitwow
Embryo
Embryo

One for the KAOS fans

Post by Hearitwow »

It's hard to believe that it's been 20 years since the album first appeared. To celebrate, I'll be airing a new mix of Radio KAOS that includes the commercially released demos, songs from "When the Wind Blows," and material from the KAOS videotape.

You'll have two chances to hear it--first this Sunday at 2PM Eastern Time during the "British Accents" show, then again on July 5 at 6PM Eastern during "Hear It Wow."

Both shows are on WMFO, 91.5 FM, Medford, Massachusetts. You can listen online by visiting wmfo.org, and a podcast of the show is available for a week after it airs. Said podcast is a paltry 64kbps (not my fault, blame the engineers!), so it's better to listen live.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: One for the KAOS fans

Post by drafsack »

Thanks for the info :D
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

I'll be sure to tune in on this one at home. I live about and hour from Medford.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Is the content and/or song order different from the "Project KAOS" ROIO?
Hearitwow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hearitwow »

It's quite different, actually. I'm a fan of Project KAOS, but there's always more than one interpretation of where a song could go in something like this.

Project KAOS opened with "Get Back to Radio"...I've gone a different route, because that song seemed to me a fitting lament for Benny while he's sitting in jail.

Part of this version is about creating a greater dramatic reason for Billy to simulate the attack. Without giving too much away, I think it works.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I won't be hearing this show...do you think you could PM me the running order?
Hearitwow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hearitwow »

I'll be posting it on Monday, along with a link to the online podcast.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Hearitwow wrote:I'll be posting it on Monday, along with a link to the online podcast.
Thanks in advance for that.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yes, thanks for that.

That's how ya do that :D
Hearitwow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hearitwow »

Out of respect for the new posting rules here, I won't give a direct link (even though it's a radio station & a legal podcast, etc.), but if you go to http://wmfo.org/schedule.shtml, find British Accents under Sunday's schedule and click the "Last Show" link, you'll be able to hear the podcast in glorious 64Kbps sound. There's a bit of soul at the start, as our bot tracks the last minute or two from the previous broadcast.

As for the playlist...

1. Hilda's Hair - When the Wind Blows
2. Intro dialogue - Radio KAOS VHS
3. Radio Waves Extended Mix - Single
4. "Welcome to the Machine" dialogue - Radio KAOS VHS
5. Who Needs Information? - Radio KAOS
6. Me or Him - Radio KAOS
7. Going to Live in L.A. - Single
8. The Powers That Be - Radio KAOS
(Station ID, PSA)
9. Towers of Faith - When the Wind Blows
10. The Fish Report With a Beat - Radio KAOS VHS
11. Sunset Strip - Radio KAOS
12. "Information is power" dialogue - Radio KAOS VHS
13. Molly's Song (Live) - Single
14. Get Back to Radio - Single
15. "It's time to go home" dialogue - Radio KAOS VHS
16. Home - Radio KAOS
17. Attack confirmation dialogue - Radio KAOS VHS
18. Four Minutes - Radio KAOS
19. "Powers that be" dialogue (live) - Radio KAOS VHS
20. The Tide Is Turning - Radio KAOS
21. Folded Flags - When the Wind Blows

And that's the KAOS part of the show. I threw in some favorites and oddities to fill out my two-hour slot, including the radio edits of Money and Not Now John, along with Roger's 1990 remake of Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 and the live version of Money from one of the KAOS singles.

I'll be broadcasting this show one more time on July 5, and I'm thinking of including the other original songs from When the Wind Blows.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

looks good, makes me wish Roger would put out a re-edited Directors Cut of this album
but he's apparantly lost interest in his solo work, so we're forced to cobble together an approximation ourselves

another way to round out the 2 hours would be to mix in the Floyd toons Roger did for this tour, as they were rearranged for the new band and concept, and Roger said at the time the old floyd songs were meant to flesh out the narrative
theres FMbroadcast versions of most of them on the Goodbye Mr Pink Floyd boot (which of course only bad people would ever listen to so dont listen to boots or youll be bad mmmkay?)
I particularly like the way Jim Ladds summary of environmental issues of the day segues into the "Fuck all that!!" song

still I like the way you used these other bsides and rarities from the period, I'll bet some folks taping the broadcast at home heard those versisons for the first time
Hearitwow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hearitwow »

I've been scouring record stores looking for a vinyl copy of one of the FM broadcasts. There were three commercials that Roger created for the live show that I wanted to include. At the same time, I did want to stick with what was released commercially. I've got nothing against boots for personal consumption, but broadcasting them isn't *quite* nice, and the quality of the recordings gets to be an issue.

I believe the French FM broadcast is the only one that even contains the commercials.

I'm hoping that we'll get a home video release of the concert. At least some of it was shot--it's on the KAOS VHS.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Listening to this right now and really enjoying it. Good to hear an NPF namecheck on air too 8) :D
Hearitwow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hearitwow »

The rebroadcast was delayed, so you've got one more chance to hear Complete K.A.O.S.

Tune in tonight at 6PM Eastern to 91.5FM in the Boston area, or listen online through the miracle of telecommunications at http://wmfo.org.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

What are good VOIOs of this concert that show more of the stage visuals (Mr. Screen, etc.)? The live one from Quebec right now on YouTube only has the camera pointed at the performers the whole time...I can't see any of the films, etc.