Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Post by Hudini »

I haven't been here for a while due to my internet disconnection, but I just wanted to let you all know I'll be fully back on work for this project soon, with the finished music for Tanner's hitch hiking song (which I can't attach here right now since it's back home on my computer). I'm also eager to start working on the booklets.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

I have submmitted my lyrics and the two other tracks I have donated to this project, both of which I am quite proud of.

I hope you like listening to them as much as I did when I made them. I guess the measure of a tune is that I can still listen to them several years later.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

I have Dan's lyrics and various submitted mixings. I'll be posting one of his songs, Jericho, tonight.

Mastering has begun as well. I have went through a first sweep of the tracks for volume one and have done about 5 mastering passes and tweaks on the first 4 tracks. The interview track is a gimme, as it is just voices, so all that I will do with that is the standard lineal multiband compression that will make it the same peak volume as everything else, as it should on a proper album.

I brightened up and remixed Some Of Them, removing the cheesy sounding drum machine sound and replacing it with a more realistic sounding set of filtered samples. The improvement is immense.

Broken was pretty much in the bag. Multiband compression and a slight decrease on the mid to high frequencies really locked that track in nicely.

I'm bringing everything up to the standard -11dB level that is the modern rock album specification. A typical remaster setting in other words. It's what they do when they make a compilation like this from thirty years worth of sources. They bring it all up to a certain average peak level, balance it all out with EQ filtering, apply a very light type of reverb across the whole album to give it a fingerprint that ties it together. So that's what I am going for here, an Echoes type of compilation mastering.

I got to a good point with 3 of the songs last night. I will do 3 more tonight and the following night, the remainder. I will then go back and re-listen on many different systems, making tweaks, remastering, and re-tweaking. For me, it's usually a 3 week process. That allows the ears to have proper rest between listens and also allows for the natural human tendency to pick up things the second time that weren't noticed the first time.

What Dan said is very true. Good music can endure many listens. It can also yield something new after many listens.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress and will let you know when the first string of listening will be required. One important thing I have learned from other engineers over the years is to always seek second opinions and multiple sets of ears. It has served me very well.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

*BUMP*

Here is the first track for Volume Two. It's called Jericho, a tale of one seeking sex like one of the Knights Templar would seek the Promised Land. :lol: Very nicely done. I hope you enjoy it as I have:

http://www.artistopia.com/coldironfusio ... album/5532
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

It's got a catchy little riff. I like it! 8)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

[quote="bpmolder"]*CIIIIBOLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAA........BUMPETY BUMP BUMP* (for you Stephen King fans out there)

[quote]
And thanx for the suite :D
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

bpmolder wrote:*BUMP*

Here is the first track for Volume Two. It's called Jericho, a tale of one seeking sex like one of the Knights Templar would seek the Promised Land. :lol: Very nicely done. I hope you enjoy it as I have:

Sounds really good...has a nice, late 70's AOR feel to it.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

Massed Gadgets wrote:
bpmolder wrote:*BUMP*

Sounds really good...has a nice, late 70's AOR feel to it.
Thanks, It was inspired by a Radiohead song, oddly 8)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Just dropping in to say hello. My connection troubles haven't been sorted yet, and I actually wanted to attach the music for Tanner's hitch hiker song, but the board doesn't allow attaching of GuitarPro files! :evil: I will make an audio file out of it and attach it in the next couple of days. Until then, I will send the gp5 file to Geoff and you guys just have to figure out the vocal lines and the solo.

See you again soon. :wink:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

filthyfish wrote:
Massed Gadgets wrote: Sounds really good...has a nice, late 70's AOR feel to it.
Thanks, It was inspired by a Radiohead song, oddly 8)
What's even more odd is that I can see a connection between the two. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

Cool, but do you know which song? thats the important question... its a great tune too..
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Mastering, tweaking, mastering, tweaking, etc, etc, etc.

I have a first cut of volume one just about ready. I will be giving it a car listen on my errands today and if it is up to snuff, I will update the tracks on Artistopia so everyone can listen. Then, I will be making a second and third pass. It will be done right on schedule.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

filthyfish wrote:Cool, but do you know which song? thats the important question... its a great tune too..
I haven't listened to your song, Dan, because my computer's seriously glitchy these days. But even without listening to it, I can tell you that I probably could NOT tell you which Radiohead song you had in mind because I've not heard a whole hell of a lot by them.

The "connection" that I referred to seeing is between Radiohead and 70's AOR radio. I mean, to me, "Everything In It's Right Place" wouldn't sound at all out of place sandwiched between...say, "Bloody Well Right" by Supertramp and "In The Light" by Led Zeppelin.

Just for one example.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

Ah! Ok, well you should make a point of listening to Ok Computer and the Bends, there's not a bad song on both albums, it all gets a bit sketchy after that, the track that Inspired it is called Maquilladora, its a unreleased tune written around the time of The Bends.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I rather like The Bends...but it's an album that I really don't know the individual track names of. It's one of those albums that I just throw on and let it play out.

I've heard good things about OK Computer...but I think I've only heard Paranoid Android off of it.