live earth and roger

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: live earth and roger

Post by drafsack »

If you missed it MSN.com are showing all the concerts
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

CDWheeler wrote:It looks as if they are about to repeat Roger's appearance now on MSN Live Earth online if anybody missed it before.
Thanks. Because I, like everybody else in Europe, of course missed out on Waters' live earth gig. But thanks to msn I can watch it on my PC in cell phone quality. :( Hopefully somebody posted it on one of the well known torrent sites that DO remain after Gilmours management bullied Neptune's torrent tracker away.

[edit] And indeed it has been posted!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I liked the Foo Fighters' set. They were easily the best band there.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

ok so i'm watching live earth. they cut to some pointless interview with Al Gore and while he is talking i hear In The Flesh in the background and the crowd going crazy. Gore continues to talk while In The Flesh continues. Finally he finishes talking and the reporter says, "ok back to some music!" and just as the opening notes of Money starts playing they cut to some shitty performance earlier in the day! NBC screwed me out of most of the performance and all i got to see was ABITWpt2 like 3 hours later!

p.s. the whole interview with Gore was so that he could say they officially finished counting the number of attendees and viewers and that it was the largest global event in history. he doesn't even care about helping people, he just cares that HIS event is bigger than live8!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

cue the Republican talking-points
pfco

Post by pfco »

I happen to agree with Geldof when he said it was a waste of time, and he learned that the hard way, since the last similar thing he did on this scale has turned out to be a big flop. You don't have to "cue" the Republican side, or any side, to have an opinion on it...most people know it was partly politically motivated, hypocritically at that, album sale motivated, PR motivated, etc. etc. Some people in the crowd who were interviewed said they didn't care about the reason they were there only for the music. That's not to say some people might get all emotionally "green" motivated, for a day, but I wonder how many of them are out shopping for a Hybrid today or putting notes on the fridge about turning out lights in rooms they leave? I wouldn't take a Las Vegas bet on any enormous numbers, not even if it included those on stage lecturing the rest of us.

Sandy

Live Earth? Why?
by Paul Cashmere - July 8 2007

So Live Earth has been and gone. What was it meant to be about … well, apart from an exercise in raising Al Gore's global awareness?

Let's face it. Live Earth really is about global warming. That is, warming the globe to the idea of Al's impending run for presidency. And if there isn't enough warmth, then Al won't run. It's pretty easy to read between the lines in this one.

How ironic that Gore is using the energy of music to "fuel" his re-entry into politics. Wasn't this the guy whose wife Tipper in 1985 mounted a campaign against the music industry as a founding member of the Parents Music Resource Center? Al is on record as supporting the movement. John Denver, yes harmless John Denver, stood in court and argued against the Gore's because people like them tried to have his innocent lyrics for 'Rocky Mountain High' banned because they considered it a drug reference.

John Denver thought the Gore's were dangerous. John ******* Denver!

So here we are 22 years later (a long time in politics) and Al is using the same music industry he tried to destroy to raise his profile.

I can't believe the artists who have fallen for it. Well maybe we can believe Madonna. She'd appear at the opening of a fridge door if there were a photo op in it. Roger Waters? What was he doing there? Is this the same Roger Waters who wrote 'The Wall' or is an impostor doing the rounds in his name.

It's a shame Peter Garrett put his name to this. The former Midnight Oil singer, now an Australian senator has always been honourable in his fight for the environment. I believe he was there with best intentions. His track record proves his sincerity. What a shame about his placement on this one.

You'd expect all the bands with current "product" to do it for the publicity. Hey, good on Smashing Pumpkins, Crowded House and Bon Jovi. If they did it just for the publicity because they all have new albums, then good luck to them. Kelly Clarkson? Wow, we've come a long way from the gut wrenched protest rock of John Lennon, haven't we? All we are saying is give us a break.

The event is probably better recorded by the bands who didn't do it. There was no U2 and there was no Bob Geldof. The Who also passed. Geldof was highly critical of the event, calling it "a waste of time."

"I would only organize Live Earth if I could go on stage and announce concrete environmental measures from the American presidential candidates, Congress or major corporations," he told Holland's De Volkskrant. "They haven't got those guarantees, so it's just an enormous pop concert or the umpteenth time that, say, Madonna or Coldplay get up on stage.
"I hope they're a success. But why is Gore actually organizing them? To make us aware of the greenhouse effect? Everybody's known about that problem for years. We are all conscious of global warming."

So who needs to learn about global warming? Well, Al Gore for a start. Fronting an event like Live Earth is pure hypocrisy. His house in Nashville is reported to use as much energy in one month as the average US home uses in two years.

And that's an inconvenient truth.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=2417
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

when I said "cue the Republican talking points" I was being ironic
but that was an impressive example nonetheless
better get that spin in fast before anybody does change their consumption habits
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Either way I'm glad I got to see RW. He was great and he's a good-lookin thing. :lol:
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Rog's performance was a good one indeed. No lip synching (as far as I could tell). By the way, did you notice that they muted out the "shit" from "do goody good bullshit" in Money? Ha ha! Also proves that ever since Janet Jackson's nipple gate everything live in the USA is aired with a few seconds delay to allow for some last minute censoring. Hi hi. :)
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

pfco wrote:So who needs to learn about global warming? Well, Al Gore for a start. Fronting an event like Live Earth is pure hypocrisy. His house in Nashville is reported to use as much energy in one month as the average US home uses in two years.
This argument continues to bother me (though I agree with most of the rest of the article). Even if Al Gore IS a hypocrite, that doesn't mean what he's saying is wrong. If a smoker tells someone to quite smoking because it's unhealthy, that's still the correct advice whether the person saying it is a hypocrite or not.

And even if all the doom and gloom about global warming is wrong, I don't see what's bad about trying to conserve energy and reduce pollution even if we don't absolutely have to. Scaring people into it isn't right but that doesn't seem to really be happening IMHO.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

Yeah, the cynics are having a field day with this... The thing is, cynicism offers no solutions. It's a cop-out. Live Earth raised environmental awareness, which is something positive.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

...double post...double post...ha ha...

Was that the first time Roger's played an instrumental "In The Flesh"?
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Maybe. The lyrics may have actually gone well with the occasion too (Pt. 1's lyrics I mean, not Pt. 2...the whole thing about "queers" may have caught some people off guard hah).

He should have let the pig go! But I suppose there's heightened security at this gig rather than regular RW shows.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Post by bmet »

ok so i'm watching live earth. they cut to some pointless interview with Al Gore and while he is talking i hear In The Flesh in the background and the crowd going crazy. Gore continues to talk while In The Flesh continues. Finally he finishes talking and the reporter says, "ok back to some music!" and just as the opening notes of Money starts playing they cut to some shitty performance earlier in the day! NBC screwed me out of most of the performance and all i got to see was ABITWpt2 like 3 hours later!
Sounds like what CTV in Canada did to us on Live 8!! All I saw that night was Breathe and Money!
You'd expect all the bands with current "product" to do it for the publicity. Hey, good on Smashing Pumpkins, Crowded House and Bon Jovi. If they did it just for the publicity because they all have new albums, then good luck to them. Kelly Clarkson? Wow, we've come a long way from the gut wrenched protest rock of John Lennon, haven't we? All we are saying is give us a break.
I can just hear Fergie saying: I'll play with the other members of The Black Eyed Peas-but you have to let me perform my new hit single!....which she did! :lol: :lol: :lol:
pfco

Post by pfco »

J Ed wrote:when I said "cue the Republican talking points" I was being ironic
but that was an impressive example nonetheless
better get that spin in fast before anybody does change their consumption habits
Perhaps Mr. Cashmere is a Republican, I don't know. Regardless, I agree with the majority of the points he made in his article. Notice I said points...which to my way of thinking means facts which also to my way of thinking has nothing to do with spin. As I said, certain things can sometimes be so glaringly questionable that it's almost blinding...to those who care to look close enough..and you don't have to be of either the Democratic or Republican 'persuasion' to see it. I am neither...something that these days I am extremely happy not to be afflliated with either, btw :)

Sandy