Disturbing: Pink Floyd Russian Nesting Dolls

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Anna-Roza wrote:I suppose that it is a very creative development of idea of the "Ummagumma" cover.
"Mise en abyme" idea in its fullness: smaller and smaller and smaller, one inside another, inside another...
:lol:
:lol: Oh my God, you are RIGHT! I never thought about that! :lol: :lol: It all makes perfect sense!
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

Charade I am wrote:I think they are unique. they don?t have to look exactly like them. It?s craftsmanship
I think you mean "artistic license," which gives the artist free reign to do what he/she desires. Craftsmanship would be how well the actual object is put together.[/quote]

Well, yeah, but couldn?t those objects be consider as craftsmanship? Specially if they are made by hand?
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

I got that exact thing for Christmas! I didn't get it for Christmas, exactly, since it was on back order. It came in around New Year's Day (my birthday) so that made it a great Christmas/birthday gift. I like it as the wooden 'dolls' were hand-painted and crafted to fit inside another. When I first opened it, the smell of paint and lacquer hit me as if they were just painted. The dolls were wrapped in Russian newspapers. lol My Mom (also a fan) thought the artist must have been a pro-David Gilmour advocate as his doll was bigger than Roger, especially as the dolls were painted to reflect what they looked like during the "Ummagumma" era.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

My destiny seems to be to go to Russia and buy those Matushka's. If I go to Viipuri (Vyborg)...
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Hee-hee...matreshkys are always funny lookin'...but I think if I tried something like this, I'd do a better job...
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Would have been better if there was a 5th doll(the biggest)of a pyramid from DSOTM.Then the rest of the band could fit inside of it.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

flashback wrote:Would have been better if there was a 5th doll(the biggest)of a pyramid from DSOTM.Then the rest of the band could fit inside of it.
See, if it were a bunch of nesting pyramids, each a different color of the prism from DSOTM, that would be cool. I guess I'm much more into the abstract, and once you start putting people's faces on it, it becomes gimmicky. I think PF realized this themselves as well, which is why there are so few albums with their faces on the covers.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Repugnant. Why am I not surprised by the order and size of them? Some people just don't get it. Oh well.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:
flashback wrote:Would have been better if there was a 5th doll(the biggest)of a pyramid from DSOTM.Then the rest of the band could fit inside of it.
See, if it were a bunch of nesting pyramids, each a different color of the prism from DSOTM, that would be cool. I guess I'm much more into the abstract, and once you start putting people's faces on it, it becomes gimmicky. I think PF realized this themselves as well, which is why there are so few albums with their faces on the covers.
Awesome! I can imagine those pyramids in my bookshelf or table... I hope Storm will design them quickly so I can buy...
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

wgmw wrote:Rick kind of looks like the lead singer of Def Leppard.
Rolling on the floor LMAO!!!! :lol: :lol:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Charade I am wrote:Well, yeah, but couldn?t those objects be consider as craftsmanship? Specially if they are made by hand?
They would be considered hand-crafted items, if that's what you mean.
Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Repugnant.
At least someone agrees with me! When my husband saw them, he said they looked like psycho killers.
Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Why am I not surprised by the order and size of them? Some people just don't get it. Oh well.
Maybe the artist was just going by body mass. :lol:
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Why am I not surprised by the order and size of them? Some people just don't get it. Oh well.
If my guess about interpretation of the "Ummagumma" cover is right :lol: , it simply has to be in that order - David was in the centre of the first photo, and Roger was much smaller, in the second one... :lol:
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Good idea
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

If my guess about interpretation of the "Ummagumma" cover is right , it simply has to be in that order - David was in the centre of the first photo, and Roger was much smaller, in the second one...
WHAT!!!! You mean it's not another Gilmour conspiracy to assert superiority of Waters????? :lol:
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

seamusz wrote: WHAT!!!! You mean it's not another Gilmour conspiracy to assert superiority of Waters????? :lol:
:-k Probably... You know, I am not much into conspiracy theories, but it is very possible... :lol: