To all Pink Floyd tribute bands.................

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Floyd Factor
Embryo
Embryo

Re: To all Pink Floyd tribute bands.................

Post by Floyd Factor »

Well then, let's put any controversy to rest...

THE BEST Pink Floyd tribute band of them all was fronted by David Gilmour, and was called Pink Floyd. They last toured in '94. :lol: :)

I agree completely that the problem with the Waters/post-Waters PF/Aussie approach is the ridiculous size of the bands. 10+ piece bands just water it all down, until it sounds like a Vegas revue compared to the old PF tours. I'm with Blade - give me 4-6 guys busting their ass to make this music come alive, with some actual chemistry in play onstage, every time.

And I too would love to hear these acts with all the satellite players removed sometime. I know in the case of the Waters tour, which I just saw wrapped up here in Toronto (2nd time), I'd love to know what it would have sounded like if Roger had actually been singing live for 75% of the show - which he sure as hell wasn't.

I guess I am less impressed when one of these giant acts manages to cover all the bases. Sequencers, redundant players, session jobbers,... they aren't really all neccessary, IMHO.

No disprespect to the Aussie show, though. As long as they've been at it, and with all the financing they have in place, it isn't surprising that the best also wants to be the largest. And if people expect a Pulse-type show from them, then that's what they deliver.

TCOY's, Steve / Floyd Factor
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Yeah, we do most of our set with 5 people (guitar/keys/bass/drums/vocals) and its great to get the connection on stage like that.... when we then bring on our backing singer or sax player, its a nice lift to the sound.
For some songs we do it 4 piece (echoes, coming back to life, wish you were here) and thats nice too.
I feel that the huge 10 piece bands are losing sight of the music and concentrating on the spectacle.... which is fine if thats what your into....

I for one would rather play all the guitar parts myself (cos im a git...... and a big egomaniac possibly) which i enjoy the challenge of...

Anyhoo..... odd question, but in your opinion, what the worst and the best Floyd tributes currently doing the rounds?

I would say the worst are ............. and not solely because of the music or anything .... but im not keen on either Off The Wall, or Shine On.

The best: Pink Fraud (even though they are a bit........ too much at times), Dark Side (ooh, im a big crawler), oh ant Think Floyd.

Sorry to the bands i mentioned i dont like...... its nothing personal, and my opinion is normally pants anyway
Floyd Factor
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Floyd Factor »

Well, since you guys were brave enough, I guess I'll have a go...

Via MySpace, I have heard some great & some awful PF tribs. But the worst I've seen person was probably Think Freud, from here. They're a little better now than then, but are still miles from being correct on a lot of stuff. And a few weeks ago I saw them in a bar, and they fired two cheap lazers, on one boring pattern, directly at the faces of the front audience. For ENTIRE songs in length. Beyond annoying, it was pointless & dumb.

The best I've heard are all very good: Which One's Pink, Think Floyd USA, Eclipse UK, The Surrogate Band, and The Machine. My personal fave is The Machine, even though they go bare-bones with the stuff musically. W1P is probably the best complete production, I think. But I haven't seen most of these bands in person.

So there ya' have more Canuck perspective. Hangovers not included. ;-) Steve / FF
Floyd Factor
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Floyd Factor »

Oh, and thanks for the kind comments, Dan!

From what little I have heard, none of those UK bands have anything on you guys, either. I would love to see/hear more of your show, because I really like what I've heard so far (on MS)!!

There's lots of bands with a better production than us, but it was awful nice of you to mention us in the same breath with the old Aussie show, that's for sure. We are not worthy!.... Yet. ;-)

Keep shining on out there, Steve / FF
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Hi

I just realised that almost every band name is repeated several times..... so when i say i did like "Think Floyd", it turns out there are 3 of them.... and i dont know which one i heard... likewise, the other bands i mentioned..........
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

Hello Fellow Floydian Tribute Bands:

Very interesting post.

I am in a Pink Floyd tribute located in New Jersey, USA called "Brain Damage" http://www.braindamageband.com. It's nice to see some of the posts about the trials and tribulations of being a tribute act, I don't feel so alone now.

Our band started out 2 years ago we currently have 8 members.

2 guitar players
1 bass player
2 keyboard players
2 female backup singers
1 Drummer

We have a booking agent but he is about worthless, we book more gigs on our own. We play large clubs and theaters. We would prefer to do just theaters but the costs involved are very expensive. We tried getting theaters to book us at a flat rate but we have found that just renting the theaters ourselves work out better all around. Typically a 1,000 seat venue around here costs an average $4,000.00 for the day this fee does not include stage hands, electrician (if needed for power tap) sound and lights, and insurance. A typical rental of sound and lights for about 8 hours runs us $2,000.00 respectively. So in order for a band like us to do a medium size theater show it costs us about $6,000.00 out of our pockets, this does not include advertising. A typical theater show ticket would be about $20-25 a ticket. If we do well at a then we take that money and roll it right back into the band and schedule another theater show and we started purchasing more and more of our own lighting to help offset the production costs. We still have to rent lights but we are starting to accumulate more and more lighting so eventually the costs for lighting will just be an engineer to run them...but that's a little bit down the road. We usually work a door deal with clubs or bars and just take what we earn at the door and put it back into the show as well. Needless to say we don't put on a full blown production when we play a club or bar unless the room can accommodate it. We do our best to slip in some lighting and projections when we can at clubs and bars but it's usually a power issue and a venue size issue at these clubs/bars. So we rarely make money at this...we may eventually but for now we just put the earnings back into the show so we can do the best show we can. It's a good thing we all have day jobs. :)

The band are all huge Pink Floyd fans which helps because we really love playing Floyd's music and we hope we are giving them the respect they deserve when we play. We really try hard to sound and look like a Floyd show when we play.

We have another issue in regards to Floyd tributes where I live. I am from New Jersey which is very close to another Floyd Tribute, The Machine. I have seen The Machine and they do a very good job at reproducing the Floyd sound and atmosphere. They have been doing this for I think about 10-12 years now so they really have the corner on the Floyd market in our area. This makes it tough for us because their are places that they play that we would love to play and can't because they have been grandfathered in. They have gotten to a pretty big level so there are still alot of places that are probably too small for them play where we can fit right in....but it's not without it's difficulties. For example we wanted to book a show at a place called The Starland Ballroom in my area and they said we have The Machine play here once a year no thanks. That is one of our biggest frustrations but like I said we manage to play alot of places that they don't play.

I don't know of very many more Floyd tribute bands in our area...thankfully.

The reason we started doing a Pink Floyd tribute is we used be in a cover band and we would do a handful of Floyd songs and the audiences always used to go crazy when we did them. So me and my brother sat down one night and said why don't we do a Pink Floyd tribute? We all love the band but I only want to do it if we are doing it justice. So we rehearse alot and try our best to reproduce a good show.

As Floyd fans ourselves we are very picky about the songs and all the little details that go into trying to pull this off....it's not easy....and you get alot of real critical Floyd fans...I understand that completely and we welcome it. Again, I only hope we are doing a respectful job at playing this music we all love. I know we all put alot of effort into doing this so I hope it shows.
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

We had the same problem here as regards getting past an existing band who seemed to monopolise the market......

We just kept battling... sending our cd and press pack to venue managers, offering deals, playing venues close by so that they could see us themselves or at least get feedback from the locals.

Eventually we did it, and now we are established in lots of great theatres and halls, with advance bookings already filling 2008.

:)
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

That's great. We just have to keep plugging away. 8)
NeilS
Axe
Axe

Post by NeilS »

Craig Marion wrote:Hello Fellow Floydian Tribute Bands:

Very interesting post.

I am in a Pink Floyd tribute located in New Jersey, USA called "Brain Damage" http://www.braindamageband.com. It's nice to see some of the posts about the trials and tribulations of being a tribute act, I don't feel so alone now.
Believe me Craig, you are definitely not on your own! Much the same with us really, coming up against the 'we already have a Floyd band' response - imagine what the motor industry would have been like if back in the day people said 'we've got a Model T Ford, don't need a Chevrolet' etc. It's the love of the music and the rapport we have between us that keeps us going, also the belief that if we keep plugging away, it will all come good in the end. Joe's posts reinforce that belief as well, as we are in a similar position with another band on our doorstep - but we will get there I'm sure!

Neil.
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

I think that this thread illustrates the beauty of the NPF festival shows.

It gives us all a chance to showcase our own tributes and pick up ideas on future performances from others. I learned a hell of a lot from the Brighton and Glasgow gigs.

I'd not seen any tribute shows up until this point, nevermind ones for the Floyd, so seeing how the other acts would convey their tribute and engaged with the audience and fellow 'tributeers' was a real eye-opener.

Rivalry exists in all aspects of performance, however, the common ground afforded to the NPF shows, in that we're all Floyd fans playing their songs, led to what I feel was a degree of hostility from certain performers.

Competition is inevitable and I reckon it's pretty healthy in terms of bringing an fresh element to shows that can become stagnant after years playing. But this hostility and 'who's better than who' attitude can't really do anyone any good, eh?

I like to keep an eye on fellow tribute acts and pick up ideas for my performance of what's good and what's not. I like to think I compare and alter things where necessary. For instance the reaction of crowds to the aforementioned pub shows compared to theatre gigs and what songs seem more popular with audiences, down to what gear and equipement is used and to what effect.

The whole bitchy attitude really ain't my bag.

Edit: One big upper hand I do have on fellow bassmans is that I'm part of the Stevie G rhythm section.

Sorry chaps.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

Remember that rubbish band i mentioned going round? well they apparently don't play "Theatres Only" anymore, probably because they lose too much money. with only 30 people in the door, that'll happen. :lol: :lol: enjoy the Gig at the Beacon lads, make sure you do a head count because the Landlord will skim the take.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Can tribute bands not be friends and support one another? Why are you making nasty comments?
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

8)
Last edited by SurrogateJoe on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

Keith Jordan wrote:Can tribute bands not be friends and support one another? Why are you making nasty comments?
Ok, with good reason, but I am editing this because It seems the venue concerned will be booking Both theirs and My band, we shall let the music do the talking and let the audiance make a discerning choice. I already know how it will go, so I don't care.
Talking Head
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Talking Head »

There are some damned good tribute bands out there and they do everyone a big favour. Excellent live performances, by professional and highly talented musicians, definitely motivate audiences to keep on coming back to live gigs.

On the other hand, the poorer, less worthy outfits put the public off from ever going near a tribute show again - their's, or anyone else's. Despite claiming to be "the best in the UK" (doesn't everyone? :) ), and blaming other (far superior) bands for their own lack of success, the public will only be conned into parting with their money to see them once.

Good venues, advertising/marketing whatever....don't mean diddly squat if the goods aren't delivered on the night. Glory can't really be claimed for pulling a good crowd at a first time venue when some other band has paved the way a few months previously. Play the same venue time and time again and build the audience numbers....then you can be reasonably sure that you've got a good thing going.

One last thing, those who accuse other "better" bands of not playing live should ensure that they've got their facts right. Going to actually see them perform would be a good start as it would extremely obvious, even to a non-musician, if they were not the "real deal". Making unfounded and unsupportable accusations calls your own musical integrity into question and not that of those who simply outclass you.

Shine on.