Ummagumma!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

David Smith wrote:
Feeling Very Pink wrote:Sex... Doesn't really have anything to do with the songs on the album, does it? Or does it? :shock:
Isn't there a song called syphalus (or however it's spelt) on it? That's an STD innit?

It's Sisyphus and yes, it's from Greek mythology.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yes...he committed some kind of offense against the gods and his punishment was to spend eternity rolling a stone up a hill.

It's funny...there's an energy drink that uses Sysyphys in it's commercial.
SyladO
Axe
Axe

Post by SyladO »

The commercial is for Red Bull! It's awful!! Sysyphus kidknapped someone that had something to do with death. He did this to try to cheat death. So he was punished. His punishment was to continually push a stone up a hill. When he reached the top. The stone would fall to the bottom again and he'd start over. I think the song portrays this well.
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Wait, if all Greek mythology was created to explain and moralize the mind of men, and it's at the same time the genesis of both the subconcious and conscious mind of the modern man, then what does this myth mean in our modern wolrd?
That we're all a bunch of stupid gits doomed to perform the same boring, pointless job over and over again, unless we...do something about it or whatever?
Is that it? Or am i just rambling? Have I been to too many Art History classes, oh, God, why???
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Well what was i thinking off then?
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

SyladO wrote:His punishment was to continually push a stone up a hill. When he reached the top. The stone would fall to the bottom again and he'd start over.
God! Those greek punishments were stupid then! Nowadays man would try once to push it to the top and if the stone would roll down again, he would escape, or at least ring to his friend with his new Nokia 7650 camera/cell phone and his friends would come with a van and and tools and....................T......H....E...........E...N...........D........
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Or he'd pay someone else to do it for him... :lol:
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Tinkerbell wrote:Or he'd pay someone else to do it for him... :lol:
Yeah! It would solve the large unemployment -problem. Because the stone will eternally roll back, there's allways at least one job open.
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

David Smith wrote:
Feeling Very Pink wrote:Sex... Doesn't really have anything to do with the songs on the album, does it? Or does it? :shock:
Isn't there a song called syphalus (or however it's spelt) on it? That's an STD innit?
David the one you are talking about is Syphilis. That's an STD no doubt. And a merciless one at that. :shock: Hitler's notorious for suffering from syphilis. :roll:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

That's the mystery solved then :D

Don't know how i managed to mix the 2 up, i really don't