your 10/10 albums

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: your 10/10 albums

Post by Syd'sSexy »

zag...how organized are you having all your albums in alphabetical order!

Dream to Dust...I have figured out your identity! :shock: I thought for sure you were someone else, but the Voivod and Celtic Frost gave you away! :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

floyd - animals / wywh
Rush 2112 / moving pictures
sanatan /Abraxas
Genesis / Foxtrot / a trick of the tail

oh gotta go door bell get back to the list later BYE !
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Dream To Dust wrote: Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
Black Sabbath - Born Again
Glad someone else beside me likes these :D

Btw, folks, what do you think of my selection (search above) :) ?
Dream To Dust
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dream To Dust »

Dream to Dust...I have figured out your identity! I thought for sure you were someone else, but the Voivod and Celtic Frost gave you away!

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

*disappears in a cloud of violet fairy dust*
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Dream To Dust wrote:
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

*disappears in a cloud of violet fairy dust*
The High Priest has spoken! :lol: By the way, I still have those unearthed and exceedingly rare Joy Division outtakes... :wink:

:twisted: :twisted:
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

ladies.... ten albums :D
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

corie..... :smt019 :lol:

Thanks for the gentle reminder. :wink:

I had forgotten about the Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus! A definite 10! 8)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The Verve Pipe--Villains
Mr. Bungle--Mr. Bungle
Pearl Jam--Ten
Temple Of The Dog--Temple Of The Dog
KISS--Destroyer
Pink Floyd--Meddle, OBC, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut.
The Beatles--Revolver
TOOL--Aenima
Foo Fighters--The Colour And The Shape
REM--Green
Lou Reed--Berlin
Smashing Pumpkins--Siamese Dream
Bush--Sixteen Stone
Nirvana--Nevermind
Green Day--Insomniac
STP--Core and Purple
Bruce Springsteen--Born To Run
Eels--Blinking Lights And Other Revelations
The Who--Tommy and Who's Next
White Stripes--Get Behind Me Satan
Jeff Buckley--Grace

I think that'll do for now.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Pearl Jam-Yield
Cat Stevens-Tea For The Tillerman,Teaser and The Firecat
STP-Tiny Music...
Pink Floyd- Animals, Meddle
Weezer-Pinkerton
Flaming Lips-Yoshimi
The Clash-London Calling
The Beatles-Help, White Album, Abbey Road
The White Stripes-Get Behind Me Satan
Live- Mental Jewelry
The Killers- Sam's Town
Gn'R-Appetite For Destruction
Foo Fighters-Colour and Shape
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Syd'sSexy wrote:zag...how organized are you having all your albums in alphabetical order!
:lol: You´d be surprised !

(not really, it just stops me buying the same stuff over and over again)
Vidar
Blade
Blade

Post by Vidar »

The Band: The Band
Bob Dylan: Time Out Of Mind
Bootleg Series Vol 4: Live '66
Bruce Sprinsteen: The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle
13th Floor Elevators: Easter Everywhere
The Beatles: Abbey Road
Cream: Disraeli Gears
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

The Protomen - The Protomen
DEVO - DEVO Live
DEVO - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are DEVO!
They Might Be Giants - The Else
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Wings - Wings Over America
Phish - A Live One
Klaatu - Hope
Ringo Starr - RINGO
Yoko Ono - Approximately Infinite Universe
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Pink Floyd - PATGOD, AHM, everything from DSotM to TFC, P*U*L*S*E
ELO - everything until The Night The Light Went On, Time
David Gilmour - About Face
Lemon Demon - First three albums
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

Pink Floyd:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Dark Side of the Moon
The Wall (maybe)
The Division Bell (maybe maybe)

The Beatles:
Sgt. Pepper (maybe)

The Moody Blues:
Days of Future Passed

Jethro Tull:
Thick as a Brick
Songs From the Woods (maybe)

David Bowie:
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Bob Dylan:
Highway 61 Revisited

None of these albums are perfect, but pretty close. I only own a complete collection of Pink Floyd, which is why there are more of their albums up there.
Tenniru wrote: David Gilmour - About Face
Nice to see someone else likes that album.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

PublicImage wrote:Here's a few:

David Bowie - Everything from 1972 to 1983, Outside and Earthling
CSS - Cansei De Ser Sexy
Muse - Showbiz, Hullabaloo, Origin of Symmetry
Can - Ege Bamyasi, Monster Movie, Future Days
Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
Julian Cope - Jehovahkill
The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Radiohead - Kid A and Hail To The Thief
Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box and First Issue
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle
Sparks - Almost every album
Faust - Faust IV
Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
Dude, you have an awful taste in music, how can you listen to that shi...:) nah Im just fucking with ya! Top choices!!! I'll do a swift 10/10 albums, I'll restrict it to 10 to be thematic...(but I'll miss out Floyd because everyone knows Saucerful of Secrets is their best album anyway, dont they?)

1.Sparks - No.1 In Heaven
Non-Glam Glam Rockers find themelves in another unsuitable pigeon hole as disco divas, Simple fact: Electronic pop would not exist without this record, some might say thats would be a good thing, come back to me when youve dreamt of a top 40 filled with Throbbing Gristle!!!!! (ace that they are of curse!). This is an album with all the clever wittisisms of Ron Maels most renouned work but returns to the sonic adventure of their pre-island era (pre-This Town Aint Big Enough For Both Of Us-era for the uninitiated). This is a record where you can consistantly discover new things within it, its been my favourite record since 1979 and I only recently discovered that it can be a concept album of sorts, you just have to imagine your own charachter. The album opens with Tryouts For The Human Race which is basically the story of sperms trying to get to the womby thingamybob first and closes with No.! Song In Heaven which is obviously where wed hope to end up (if you believe in that sort of thing of course...for the record, I dont, but lets not get drawn on that). In between are stories of growing up (Beat The Clock), losing your virginity (Academy Award Performance, Ron is the master of Metaphors!!!), and of course meeting women prior to that (La Dolce Vita). While the album may not have a chronological theme in terms of the 4 songs in the middle it works thematically in a Highlander kind of sense. Musically its Moog heaven! only YMO, Jarre, the BBC Radiophonic Orchestra, Kraftwerk and Hot Butter had come close to presenting electronic music with such a pop sensibility and even so the bands in question tended to favour more avant garde leanings. Only one other player had taken the work of the others further and that was Giorgio Moroder who became a pivotal architect in the No. 1 In Heaven album. If you want big synths with epic songs then start here, everyone else did but no one else ever managed to out-do it!

2.New Order - Substance
A major bi-product of the 80s was the 12'' single, which featured an extended version of the 7'' single, New Order bucked the trend by making 12'' singles that were edited into 7'' singles. Substance features every important New Order 12'' singles, and every single one broke ground, the charts, and eventually Tony Wilsons bank balance! This is prog rock in its finest electro form and I defy anyone to come up with a band that can draw more paralells to Floyd without sounding like them!

3.Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
Because thematic conceptual albums isnt just for prog noodleists!!! This is where the band finally found their feet and boy did they run!!! every song is perfect experimental pop and Im slightly proud to say my personal favourite from it was only ever played in Brighton :) guess who was there at the time ;)

4.Pet Shop Boys - Please
Easily dismissable as high-camp unlikely gay icons, as anyone that saw their groin thrusting theatre show could vouch, there is another side to the band tho. A side that only existed before Neil Tennant finally announced that he was gay (as if we didnt already know Neil!). Back in those days of innocence lay a duo that talked about the world around them and politics of a non-dispositional-sexual world. Opportunities is possibly the most 80s song that has ever been recorded with its electro backing and vocal stabs at Thatchers ''all consuming consumerist Britain'', whereas Suburbia takes a sideways glance at what its like to live on the otherside of the coin which given the comparisoms made between the 2 bands is the perfect anti-Soft Cell song! The crowning moment tho is a tale of runaways in love that head to the city to seek their dreams, Two Divided By Zero will always be the PSB's finest moment and what is clearly the follow up on side 2 of the record, Tonight Is Forever, is something that the band themselves still recognise over 21 years on! If only someone could get them to dig out the prequel again!

On a personal note, thinking of that record 21 years on is particularly scary, I bought the album the day it was released in 1986, I begged my Mum to let me take the money Id been given for my Christianing some 12 years previous out of the bank so I could buy it. She said that money was for ''something special'', I told her there would never be anything more special than that record, I was almost right!

5.Suede - Dog Man Star
A band in crisis is a band at their best. The worst always brings out the best in people and this record is a musical statement of that very ethos (only The God Machine's One Last Laugh In A Place of Dying comes close). Its perfect guitar pop with an unhnging angst, its dark fucked up piano solitude and its haunting melodramatic prog-indie. Nothing had sounding like it before, nothing has sounded like it since!

6.Electric Light Orchestra - Time
A band that defies category continue to do so by moving with the times and adding the 1980/81 new romantic/futurist movement to ELO's already quite healthy mix of styles. So, what the hell is this record? Well, its literally a time capsule, perhaps that works on a more personal level for me than most tho, last year I gave my Mum a copy of the album on CD the exact same day I reached the age that she was when I bought her the same record on vinyl as a kid! We listened and sang our arses off!!! The album tells of a Langian future that as yet hasnt come to pass. Laden with hooks, Lynnes trademark ridiculously infectious melodies and ideas that would have the most established sci-fi writers kicking themselves for not getting there first, this is a record that somehow remains undated by being dated, its vision of the future has been the subject of many novels and movies since, whether knowingly or not so. For those that think outside the box its a record that continues to inspire and continues to deliver on repeated listenings, even after 26 years of repeated listenings!

7.Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
I grew up listening to Oldfields first 3 records (and subsequent ones too), they were always there and have always remained good friends of mine. It was hard to make a decision, Tubular Bells may be a tad obvious and I must admit that Oldfields over-milking of the theme has caused me to lose interest in it. Hergest Ridge is perhaps a little too hard to penetrate at times but never steps outside of genius while retaining its heady claustrophobic shell once youre inside! So, the first 2 albums have a lot to get your head round, why is Ommadawn even more important? Well, its a true example of what you can do with 1 idea, its the first time a musician has blatantly said fuck it, I only have 1 melody for my next album but its a fucking good one so I'll see what I can do with it! An ethos that has inspired thousands of musicians since! Whether or not that is a good thing I cant really say but I do like The Orb! Despite the genius of part 1 of Ommadawn tho the piece that really sends me into ''blithering nostalgic idiot mode'' is what became known as ''On Horseback'' on the ''In Dulci Jubilo'' 7''. Its brilliant in its simplicity, and I defy the most hardened of punks to sing along!

8.Rick Wakeman - The Myths & Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round Table
I love this album because I love Arthurian legends, altho if the truth be told, I love Arthurian legends because I love this album! I was only 1 year old when it was released and my Dad bought it the day it came out, apparently because he loved the Henry the 8th record so much but oddly never bought that, dont worry, I still cant fathom him either. Anyway, this is yet another big nostalgia trip, but what a trip! Altho this isnt the full tale of Arthur we join the story right at the moment that everyone wants to jump to anyway and are greeted with a surprisingly restrained Wakeman, already famed for playing what seemed like a million notes a second with sometimes little regard for melody placing showmanship over musicality he holds back this time around and scores a fantastic orchestra with chords and melodies to die for! The opening number remains one of my favourite songs even to this day and the reprise of the theme in the closing number has an ultimately heartbreaking quality. The record is beautiful, mad, evocative, and above all...moving! Its essential, leave your preconceptions at the record sleeve!

9.Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
This came out in 2000. In July 2001 I finally stopped carrying a copy of it around with me every day, that was already my 4th copy! I was determined that every single person I met must hear this record, its Dark Side of the Moon for The Pixies generation, with a dash of ELO for good measure! A testament to how much I love this record is in my username on every forum, p2p, torrent site etc that I use. The opening number, He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's The Pilot, is the greatest song this millenium has seen, nothing else Ive heard carries so much variety but yet seamlessly melds, only Floyd's Echoes carries the same ideals in the same way, this is the little brother of Echoes!. Every song is a killer from the emotive double finale of Miner-At-The-Dial-A-View and So You'll Aim Towards The Sky (which still brings tears to my eyes with its unbelievably beautiful yet simple vocal passage) to rock out beasts like Chartsengrafs to the experimental and haunting simplicity of Beautiful Ground. No one will ever make a record like this again, Grandaddy didnt!

10.Payola Disco - Payola Disco
Just because Im proud of it, everyone should achieve something that they are proud of creatively and this is what I did. It was a long process of ups and downs and BIG fall outs but 3 years on from the first day we stood in a rehearsal studio together to jam we got something together that I can play my grankids and say ''Damn, we were good!''. We've all got back together again by the way and will be playing a few gigs for old times sake in a few months. If anyone fancies coming along I'll keep you posted!
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

simpledumbpilot wrote:last year I gave my Mum a copy of the album on CD the exact same day I reached the age that she was when I bought her the same record on vinyl as a kid! We listened and sang our arses off!!!
Oh thanks for that. I now have the task of working out your mum and your ages. Cheers.