References in Hello (I love you) lyrics

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

References in Hello (I love you) lyrics

Post by moom »

The thing is, Wikipedia claims there are references to The Wall and The Dark Side... i these lyrics. I've just read them, and couldn't find anything... A little help, please :) :?:
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Re: References in Hello (I love you) lyrics

Post by mhspiper »

There's a reference to DSOTM in the line "You can make your peace song the Dark Side of the Moon," and the line "Is there anybody in there?" is repeated a few times throughout. Hope this helps :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I thought they were less than subtle. The lyrics made me cringe a little actually :?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Thank you :D Whether the lyrics were incorrect on that page, or I didn't notice these lines as I was in a bit of a rush :)
narcissus
Axe
Axe

Post by narcissus »

David Smith wrote:I thought they were less than subtle. The lyrics made me cringe a little actually :?
Same here. All those pointless, blatant references sort of annoyed me. What, did Roger have writer's block that day?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Maybe he was jealous that Syd had a "Love Song :lol: .
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It could be worse. It could be people getting upset that it's got the same title as the old Doors song 8)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Why would he choose it then ;) .
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I guess he perhaps wanted to reinforce to the world that he once wrote The Wall and Dark Side. Not that he'd really need to remind anyone though. I assume the film wasn't a huge success so the main audience would be floyd fans any way who know what he wrote
snifferdog wrote:It could be worse. It could be people getting upset that it's got the same title as the old Doors song 8)
Ah but in fairness he does use the brackets to alter the meaning of the title
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

David Smith wrote:I guess he perhaps wanted to reinforce to the world that he once wrote The Wall and Dark Side. Not that he'd really need to remind anyone though. I assume the film wasn't a huge success so the main audience would be floyd fans any way who know what he wrote
He said Live8 did that pretty well, reminded people of what and who he is. There would be a question before Live8 among non-fans, "Is that the guy who wrote lyrics for DSOTM?", now they have the answer, "Yes, that's the one ;) " .
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

David Smith wrote:I thought they were less than subtle. The lyrics made me cringe a little actually :?
Me too...Pink Floyd don't normally allude to previous works so blatantly...makes it sound like he's out of ideas. I guess this song's for a non-PF audience, but still....
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

except for when DaveFloyd sing "On the Day the Wall Came Down"
and segue the Division Bell intro out of the line "...the tolling of the iron bell..."
or when in Dogs of War he says "we all have our dark side and thats the fact jack"
cuz those are all just coincidences
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Well the segue of Time/High Hopes just works when putting the two songs together live...it's just part of the show, not the songwriting. And if they intended the other two then they're not too overpowering IMHO, because I didn't notice them until your post :)

Roger actually says "the dark side of the moon" which, along with all the other PF references in the song, just seemed to overdo it for me. Plus Roger's supposed to be the better lyric writer.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

J Ed wrote:except for when DaveFloyd sing "On the Day the Wall Came Down"
I took that as being inspired by the fall of the Berlin Wall rather than being related to the Pink Floyd album
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, I have begun a mixed cd of more recent Waters' tracks for my personal listening, and here is how it starts:

The Gathering Storm (ca ira)
Overature (ca ira)
Hello (I Love You) (Last Mimzy)

I'm still working on the order of the other songs, but, Hello (I love you) fits perfectly after the bird sound in the previous song, and as a prlude to the songs to come (To Kill The Child and all the other assorted songs and a few Amused to Death songs).

The bird sound, then the kid talking at the beginning of Hello (ILY) forshadows all the child references in his recent songs in a way...I'm enjoying this building of the mixed cd...way better than a recent Gilmour mix of reletively recent songs...