1974 Studio Sessions

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

1974 Studio Sessions

Post by mhspiper »

How much is known about Syd's final 1974 studio sessions? I don't have a copy of "Random Precision," so I can't check there. Do we know what order the available tracks were recorded in, and how about whether or not it was going to be completely instrumental? Were there any accompanying musicians? Just me, curious as usual :)
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Re: 1974 Studio Sessions

Post by dgsyd1 »

mhspiper wrote:How much is known about Syd's final 1974 studio sessions? I don't have a copy of "Random Precision," so I can't check there. Do we know what order the available tracks were recorded in, and how about whether or not it was going to be completely instrumental? Were there any accompanying musicians? Just me, curious as usual :)
OK, off the top of my head, as I don't have my copy of RP handy........

The basic plan was, to provide Syd with all the instruments and see what happened (something which those who were there think was a bad idea now). And so Studio 3 at Abbey Road was booked for several days starting on August 12th 1974. What basically happened was that Syd would mess around on his guitar, which for the '74 session was a Fender Stratocaster, and producer Pete Jenner would try to find anything coherent that further work could be done on.
It became obvious pretty quickly that nothing releasable was going to come out of these sessions. Syd was not in a good way mentally and emotionally, engineer John Leckie describes Syd as being "more vacant" that the Barrett sessions. Although interestingly enough Syd was still thin, unshaven, and had long hair at this point, in total contrast to the picture of him taken at the Wish You Were Here sessions, less than 10 months later.
The tracks that have been leaked are from a reel that was made of the bits of Syd playing that Peter Jenner thought could be worked on some more. However, apart from some basic bass overdubs, nothing more was done. And Syd would never take part in any more recording sessions for the rest of his life.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

And, I suppose, Floyds never met Syd while he still had his "old" look, right?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

somebody should do a mashup of these shapeless fragments and Shine On
remember he said "Im ready to add my guitar part now" that day he dropped by the studio
thatd certainly be better than trying to sync up Ummagumma with Plan 9 From Outer Space
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

J Ed wrote: remember he said "Im ready to add my guitar part now" that day he dropped by the studio
Before David responded that guitars were already done...
Evilio
Axe
Axe

Post by Evilio »

Does anybody else wonder what it might have been like if they'd let Syd record something for WYWH...I know the bad were distraught and confused, and Syd wasn't in a good way...but I can't help but wonder what it might have been like. Although, in all honesty, the recording would have probably ended up like a freakshow soughta thing..."Hey, look what the madman did!". I dunno, just me thinking out aloud.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Answering your question, Evilio, I think the album would sound something like a proto-punk or blues. Not really what the band was pursuing at the time, they rather wanted such a follow-up to Dark Side... that would be as popular, and that meant no or little experiments. Otherwise why do you think they declined the "Household objects" project, all-instrumental with real household objects as instruments? Because they knew it would fail commercially.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Evilio wrote:Does anybody else wonder what it might have been like if they'd let Syd record something for WYWH...I know the bad were distraught and confused, and Syd wasn't in a good way...but I can't help but wonder what it might have been like. Although, in all honesty, the recording would have probably ended up like a freakshow soughta thing..."Hey, look what the madman did!". I dunno, just me thinking out aloud.
that would probably have been the end of Pink Floyd, because considering the condition of Syd it would probably have been some unlistenable crap
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

something like Final Cut ? :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

You're joking, right :lol: ? Just as I thought.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Final Cut is a joke. I rather listen mindless rambling á la Syd -74 session anytime than F.C.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

You've never actually sat down, listened to the album from start to finish while reading the lyrics and then wondering where it's all gonna lead to, have you?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

I guess I tried that in ´80s but it didn´t work. I guess country music standards makes me shiver, how about you ? :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Yeah. You, zag, MUST be kidding ;) .
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

well it says a lot about you if you prefer "mindless rambling" over a record like TFC that needs some real attention... :lol: TFC country standards? please.... :roll: