bob dylan blues

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

bob dylan blues

Post by tea-set »

so whats the story with this song then?

Is it Syd really paying homage to an idol of his or is he taking the piss?
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Re: bob dylan blues

Post by dgsyd1 »

tea-set wrote:so whats the story with this song then?

Is it Syd really paying homage to an idol of his or is he taking the piss?

Both!
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

It sounds to me as if he was just messing around.
The lyrics are genius though:
"Well I sings about dreams and I rhymes it with seams
Cause it seems that my dream always means"
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

generalhooha wrote:"Well I sings about dreams and I rhymes it with seams
Genius? :?
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

my breakfast. wrote:
generalhooha wrote:"Well I sings about dreams and I rhymes it with seams
Genius? :?
Clearly you know nothing about Bob Dylan otherwise you'd understand what generalhooha means by lyrical "genius".

Then again, you are an all knowing 17 year old, so maybe we could actually learn a few things from you about what is good and what is shit musically. :lol: :lol: :lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Metal Mickey wrote:Clearly you know nothing about Bob Dylan otherwise you'd understand what generalhooha means by lyrical "genius".
He wasn't talking about Bob Dylan's lyrics **************, and if he was he should make his posts clearer.
Metal Mickey wrote:Then again, you are an all knowing 17 year old, so maybe we could actually learn a few things from you about what is good and what is shit musically. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well I try, but stupid old hippy *******like you just wave your flowers and shit around and go on pretending that Syd Barrett actually had an ounce of musicality to his name, so I think my efforts are entirely wasted on people like you.

Edit.

Do not insult other members of this forum
see rule 2
2 - No attacking, flaming or flooding on the forum. see http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

Henno
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Musically, lyrics don't mean anything. So shut your mouth, you old fool.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

my breakfast. wrote:
Metal Mickey wrote:Clearly you know nothing about Bob Dylan otherwise you'd understand what generalhooha means by lyrical "genius".
He wasn't talking about Bob Dylan's lyrics *************, and if he was he should make his posts clearer.
Metal Mickey wrote:Then again, you are an all knowing 17 year old, so maybe we could actually learn a few things from you about what is good and what is shit musically. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well I try, but stupid old hippy ********* like you just wave your flowers and shit around and go on pretending that Syd Barrett actually had an ounce of musicality to his name, so I think my efforts are entirely wasted on people like you.
Temper, temper little one! Didn't your mummy tell you that name calling was very bad? Listen loser, I'm well aware that he was not making reference to Bob Dylan's lyrics...but, as I mentioned, if you knew anything about Dylan (which you clearly don't! Nor do you know anything about Syd.), you would understand that Barrett's word-play all make reference to some of Dylan's lyrics (and they're quite well done). You're such a knob! If you want to argue (or should I say, bitch like a baby), at least learn a bit about the things you're questioning otherwise, it's you who sounds like a **********.

BTW, I wasn't even born when that "hippy shit", as you so eloquently put it, was going on. But, I am older than you so I have learned to respect my elders, unlike you I'm afraid.

As always, your posts make me laugh...keep up the good work! :lol:

Edit.

Do not use abusive or insulting language.
See my edit on my breakfasts post above.

Henno
Last edited by Metal Mickey on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

PublicImage wrote:Musically, lyrics don't mean anything. So shut your mouth, you old fool.
Oh look, it's my breakfast's shadow...I was wondering when you would pop in to defend your buddy's nonsensical rants. Isn't it always the ones that can't write lyrics that say; lyrics don't mean anything? Don't tell me you're a wanna-be musician as well. Good luck with that one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, aren't you considered the 'real' Floyd fan out of the two of you? Why are you allowing this nimrod to disrespect Barrett like this? I guess you just can't help being a follower, huh?
Dream To Dust
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dream To Dust »

EDITED BY ADMIN - Don't post random pics in threads please.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

:D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Easy, guys...otherwise people will start accusing Filthyfish and I of constructing other identities to keep our little bitch fest going on.

Do I need to lock this thread?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Metal Mickey wrote:Didn't your mummy tell you that name calling was very bad?
Metal Mickey wrote:Listen loser
Metal Mickey wrote:You're such a knob!
Metal Mickey wrote:it's you who sounds like a ************.
There's enough irony in there to hypontize a donkey.
Metal Mickey wrote:Oh look, it's my breakfast's shadow...I was wondering when you would pop in to defend your buddy's nonsensical rants. Isn't it always the ones that can't write lyrics that say; lyrics don't mean anything? Don't tell me you're a wanna-be musician as well. Good luck with that one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, aren't you considered the 'real' Floyd fan out of the two of you? Why are you allowing this nimrod to disrespect Barrett like this? I guess you just can't help being a follower, huh?
Firstly, I'm glad you have decided to do the intelligent thing for once and not contradict the point made in my post. Well done, you made a good decision that makes sense. What does not make sense, however, is to claim that I cannot write lyrics entirely on the basis that I said they have nothing to do with music, which is splendidly true. For instance, the fact that Bob Dylan is supposedly a good lyricist does not give anybody the right to call him a great musician, because he simply is not. He is a musical atrocity. George Gershwin, on the other hand, never published any lyrics throughout his acclaimed musical career, as he left that responsibility to Ira, his brother, whereas he is very well recognised as being one of the top composers of his time, musically.

Your "wanna-be musician" comment is also quite absurd for several reasons. Firstly, it is completely irrelevant to the thread, so there is no point at all in saying it other than trying to degenerate the thread into a collection of cheap insults, and secondly, you have never even heard me play a musical instrument and thus have absolutely no right whatsoever to make a comment on the subject, unless you just want to come across as innately ignorant, which I can happily inform you that you have done on a multitude of occasions.

And to be perfectly jolly, I don't believe that I am considered a Pink Floyd fan, as a rarely listen to the group anymore and I dislike a vast amount of their output.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Yikes! :shock: Syd wrote Bob Dylan Blues after seeing one of his concerts, apparently circa 1963. Though not actually recorded until late February 1970 (I believe...help me out henno :wink: ), I do believe it is both a parody and an admiration for Mr. Dylan. Though I don't have any affinity for Mr. Dylan's horrid singing or his egomaniacal personality, he is definitely one of the most prolific songwriters of the 20th century, and a lyrical poet by many accounts. :)
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

PublicImage wrote: Firstly, I'm glad you have decided to do the intelligent thing for once and not contradict the point made in my post. Well done, you made a good decision that makes sense. What does not make sense, however, is to claim that I cannot write lyrics entirely on the basis that I said they have nothing to do with music, which is splendidly true. For instance, the fact that Bob Dylan is supposedly a good lyricist does not give anybody the right to call him a great musician, because he simply is not. He is a musical atrocity. George Gershwin, on the other hand, never published any lyrics throughout his acclaimed musical career, as he left that responsibility to Ira, his brother, whereas he is very well recognised as being one of the top composers of his time, musically.

Your "wanna-be musician" comment is also quite absurd for several reasons. Firstly, it is completely irrelevant to the thread, so there is no point at all in saying it other than trying to degenerate the thread into a collection of cheap insults, and secondly, you have never even heard me play a musical instrument and thus have absolutely no right whatsoever to make a comment on the subject, unless you just want to come across as innately ignorant, which I can happily inform you that you have done on a multitude of occasions.

And to be perfectly jolly, I don't believe that I am considered a Pink Floyd fan, as a rarely listen to the group anymore and I dislike a vast amount of their output.
Irony Babble: That was my intention, darling. Sarcasm never escapes the gifted, does it?

Lyric Jargon: I never said YOU couldn't write lyrics. I merely posed the question; isn't it usually those that can't write lyrics that say that music is more important than lyrics. If you assumed that to be directed towards you, than that's your own insecurities rearing their ugly head...nothing to do with me.

Post about Dylan and Gershwin: blah blah blah blah!

"Degenerate the thread into a collection of cheap insults" : Now if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black! Didn't you tell me earlier to "shut up, you old fool"?

To be a Floyd Fan or Not to be a Floyd Fan...: You have over 5,000 posts on a Pink Floyd forum but you don't dig the band anymore! WTF! That's the most bizarre thing I have ever heard on any band site. Congratulations!

A Humble Moment: That being said, you are right about one thing however, I should never have demeaned your musical abilities (although it's not quite clear as to whether you are or not...I'll just ASSUME you are, ok?) - that was wrong and I apologize for that! But, as a musician, you should be respectful of other musicians, whether you like them or not...Barrett included.