"If It Hadn't Been For Syd We Would Not Exist"

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

"If It Hadn't Been For Syd We Would Not Exist"

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Interview with Nick Mason published in The Sun newspaper.

In the interview, Nick says: "I know it was only the first album of a band that has staggered on for 40 odd years but if it hadn’t been for Syd, we wouldn’t exist in the form we do or probably any form. I think it is nice to credit him with that."

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/ni ... exist.html
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: "If It Hadn't Been For Syd We Would Not Exist"

Post by oz1701 »

The full interview can be seen in full here.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2007420861,00.html

if you can be bothered waiting for the page to load that is.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Of course. Syd was given the full control on 95% the material because he already was a hell of a songwriter, guitarist and singer, and he had charisma. I believe it wasn't only for the band's latter material that helped them survive for the rest of the 60s, but also Syd's cult. Syd still inspires a lot of musicians, as much as other Floyds.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

moom wrote:Syd was given the full control on 95% the material
1) On the album a lot of sections have improvised bits that you could hardly claim Syd wrote unless you genuinely want to credit him for coming up with the two instrumentals and the various smaller sections by himself

2) Syd did not write 95% of the album, a single look at the credits reveal that

I would say the album was made by 4 musicians coming together, although Syd was obviously the cheif song writer and certainly the leader
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

11 tracks - 2 tracks = 9 tracks. 9/11, it's ~82%. Not enough? I think it pretty much is. On the other hand, though some pieces are improvised, they still revolve around Syd's melodies... imho :)
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Piper was a lot more song-oriented than any album up til, er, The Wall
and they got popular attention because they had clever catchy singles

if it werent for Syd they would have continued doing r&b covers and gone nowhere cuz england had a million bands doing that schtick better at the time
same goes for Gilmour
Roger would be a junior technician at an obscure architects office somewhere, getting passed over for promotions cuz of his attitude
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

J Ed wrote:they got popular attention because they had clever catchy singles
So popular that those singles were burning up the airwaves? Hardly!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

bpmolder wrote:
J Ed wrote:they got popular attention because they had clever catchy singles
So popular that those singles were burning up the airwaves? Hardly!
Arnold Layne and See Emily Play :P Positions 6 and ... uhh forgot. Not impressive for a beginner band? Sure, The Beatles almost immediately shot to #1, but... little did Rolling Stones, for example. A lot of their singles weren't #1s, and The Who did even worse, yet they are still essential 60s bands that inspire a whole bunch of generations. Why? Because they had something to say to the youth. PF did a bit different with their singles, but those singles were important nontheless - because they show that even catchy songs may be original, unusual.
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

"People didn't dance... They sat and listened"
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

moom wrote:
bpmolder wrote: So popular that those singles were burning up the airwaves? Hardly!
Arnold Layne and See Emily Play :P Positions 6 and ... uhh forgot. Not impressive for a beginner band? Sure, The Beatles almost immediately shot to #1, but... little did Rolling Stones, for example. A lot of their singles weren't #1s, and The Who did even worse, yet they are still essential 60s bands that inspire a whole bunch of generations. Why? Because they had something to say to the youth. PF did a bit different with their singles, but those singles were important nontheless - because they show that even catchy songs may be original, unusual.
I'm talking about The Wall. He said that The Wall was full of catchy singles.....hardly true!
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

bpmolder wrote:I'm talking about The Wall. He said that The Wall was full of catchy singles.....hardly true!
Considering the only singles released were Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)/Young Lust, Run Like Hell/Don't Leave Me Now, and Comfortably Numb/Hey You, I would hardly classify the songs as "catchy," though most of those are my favorites from the album, with the exception of ABITWII. I hate that song.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Their early singles were catchy and popular though, I agree with that. A few of them tore up the charts early on.....unfortunately, it seemed to be more novelty than anything else. It was an experimental sound during an experimental time. Experimental in more ways than one! It brings back the thought that they most likely wouldn't have continued to be successful had they stuck with the same sound and style. During that time, with that genius that Syd had, not only did he get the group going but kept it going with his creative input and incredible imagination. We all remember the first song Waters wrote....yikes! It seems that he and the others had to work damn hard at their songwriting while Syd had so much natural talent and it was so easy for him when he was fit!
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

bpmolder wrote:We all remember the first song Waters wrote....yikes!
Would that be Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk? Not my favorite, nor is Corporal Clegg. I think Julia Dream is the first Waters song that I really liked, and still like it today!
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Yeah, Take Up Thy Stethoscope was his first, indeed nothing to bet the farm on! However, I find that Every Stranger's Eyes off of Pros and Cons is one of the most beautifully expressed pieces he, or a lot of other people, has ever done!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Syd'sSexy wrote: ABITWII. I hate that song.
Why :( ?