"If It Hadn't Been For Syd We Would Not Exist"

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
henno

Re: "If It Hadn't Been For Syd We Would Not Exist"

Post by henno »

T..

i completely agree with you re ABITW1......

for years before i knew of the floyd, that was a song i had heard....

so when my knowledge of the floyd became filled i realised that thats actually one of the worst songs theyve ever composed.. whether with dance beats or not (mossey!!)

it has the reclamination of a great gilmour guitar solo... but even at that its lazy....

the first two stanzas are lesser than an average beat poet would come up with these days!!...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

henno wrote:T..

i completely agree with you re ABITW1......

for years before i knew of the floyd, that was a song i had heard....

so when my knowledge of the floyd became filled i realised that thats actually one of the worst songs theyve ever composed.. whether with dance beats or not (mossey!!)

it has the reclamination of a great gilmour guitar solo... but even at that its lazy....

the first two stanzas are lesser than an average beat poet would come up with these days!!...
:?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I agree. It's quite an exercise in padding too. There's only one verse in the song and it's sung twice. The only difference being that second time around, the kids sing it and change one word (Leave us kids alone, rather than Leave them kids alone). All the singing's finished by about 2 and a quarter minutes in, leaving the rest of the song (the guts of 4 minutes) to the guitar solo.
BeeJay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by BeeJay »

!!!IF IT HADN'T BEEN FOR DRUGS WE (WELL, MOST) WOULD NOT EXIST!!! 8) 8) :shock: HEHEHE
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

If it hadn't been for a bottle of Jack Daniel's and the back seat of a Chrysler, I wouldn't exist! :lol: :lol: :lol:
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

Moral: Don't drink and drive 8)
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

If it hadn't been for brothers and sisters marrying, Arkansas wouldn't exist! :lol:
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

bpmolder wrote:If it hadn't been for brothers and sisters marrying, Arkansas wouldn't exist! :lol:
West Virginia either! :lol:
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

snifferdog wrote:I agree. It's quite an exercise in padding too. There's only one verse in the song and it's sung twice. The only difference being that second time around, the kids sing it and change one word (Leave us kids alone, rather than Leave them kids alone). All the singing's finished by about 2 and a quarter minutes in, leaving the rest of the song (the guts of 4 minutes) to the guitar solo.
So what, can't a great song be easy!?
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

moom wrote:
snifferdog wrote:I agree. It's quite an exercise in padding too. There's only one verse in the song and it's sung twice. The only difference being that second time around, the kids sing it and change one word (Leave us kids alone, rather than Leave them kids alone). All the singing's finished by about 2 and a quarter minutes in, leaving the rest of the song (the guts of 4 minutes) to the guitar solo.
So what, can't a great song be easy!?
When you have a concept piece, it doesn't have to be properly structured. It's all about how it ties into the rest of the album, which it does nicely.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yes, it does fit nicely into the album but I don't think it's one of Pink Floyd's best songs. If you took out Gilmour's solo, there's not a lot left in there IMHO
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

If you think about it, the song would have to be short to bring in a recurring theme, with parts 1, 2 and 3. For that reason, I really don't think they were meant to be real, standard, structured songs because they were pretty much just transition pieces.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

snifferdog wrote:Yes, it does fit nicely into the album but I don't think it's one of Pink Floyd's best songs. If you took out Gilmour's solo, there's not a lot left in there IMHO
How's great lyrics for a nothing 8) ?
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

moom wrote:How's great lyrics for a nothing 8) ?
I love the humor in the line "we don't need no education." Using the double negative there was great! :lol: