Why Roy Harper

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Why Roy Harper

Post by Powderfinger »

Why is Roy Harper singing Have a cigar, who is he anyway. Roger could sing it, Dave could even Rick.
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Meh, I had wondered that myself, and I found this:
http://www.royharper.com/
Just hit on the 'Why did he sing Have a Cigar' link, and you'll find the answer, I guess.
I liked his voice anyway, so it's not like I care who sang what, when the results are this good.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

From what I've read Waters' singing ability was in poor shape after singing the vocals for SOYCD. Gilmour refused to sing "Have A Cigar", felt the lyrics were too pessimistic or whatever. So they brought in Harper to do it. Personally I think he did a great job, since the lyrics are supposed to be the words of the record fat cats I think a non-Floyd voice fits better.
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

He did a good job no doubt! 8)
bmet
Knife
Knife

Roy Harper

Post by bmet »

I don't think Roy Harper ever came over to North America to Tour.The only place I know of him is his association to Pink Floyd (singing Have a
Cigar and wrecking the Floyd's equipment at the '75 Knebworth festival)and the Led Zeppelin song "Hats off to Roy Harper" from Zeppelin IV.
I finally downloaded some of Harper's '75 songs featuring David Gilmour on guitar.Is he still an active performer in Britain today?
As for "Have a Cigar",It is sung so well and I've heard it so many times I really don't think anyone else can sing the song better.If a decent recording of Harper singing it at Knebworth can be found,I'd want it!
The one I have heard wasn't very good.
Of course,if the Floyd should ever re-unite to perform,(perhaps a one night
performance),I'd want Roy out there to sing "Cigar" just like I'd want Claire Torry for "Great Gig" and Dick Parry for all the sax parts.Add Snowy White too because he was there in '77.
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

I went to http://www.royharper.com, and here is a nice explanation from Mr. Harper himself!!:

"When The Pink Floyd were writing 'Wish You Were Here', Roger Waters had written a song that wasn't pitched in too friendly a place for either his own vocal range or Dave Gilmour's. The song was called 'Have A Cigar'. As I was able to reach the silly high stuff, they pulled me in to sing the vocal. I had to rearrange some of the emphasis, the pacing and one or two words here and there to facilitate my own style. Finally I think that I did a good job and that we have all been pleased with the result.

The picture below was taken when I did it live with the band at the Knebworth Festival. There wasn't any rehearsal except for a run through in the dressing room an hour before. Half an hour before that I'd had no idea that I was going to be singing the song at all. Roger's idea of a prank I suspect. I can remember there being one dodgy moment as I began to wonder about where I should start the second verse, but a bar or two later it became obvious, and in the end it was probably a nice little edgy brake for them in the middle of a long set.

The song is about the archetypical manager-type who invites the band into his office, offering them a cigar. Hidden somewhere in the cigar smoke of course, comes an oversized contract that has the band in debt for all of their working lives. The usual rock and roll scenario. The manager type gives away the extent of his general knowledge and real concern about the band towards the end of the song when he says, "And by the way, which one's Pink?" (which apparently happened to the Floyd once in the USA)."

Nice, a nice story... I haven't heard it, well, I've never wandered why roy harper??... but, a nice story :lol:
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

That's what I posted in like the second message on this thread. Why don't you people take the time to read all the messages first???
I'll get you for this, Stilgar! REVENGE! REVENGE!
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Tinkerbell wrote:That's what I posted in like the second message on this thread. Why don't you people take the time to read all the messages first???
I'll get you for this, Stilgar! REVENGE! REVENGE!
My dear Tinkerbell... sorry i didn't gave you the credit you deserve... i went to that page after reading YOUR post (ok, ok, now get that knife away from my eyes!!! 8) )

And it's true... i haven't heard of that web page before...

:lol:
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Im sure i read floyd promised him season soccer tickets or something simlilar to do it. Which they never gave him.
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Now, that's the way to make business! Promise what you won't give! yeah!!

(alright, Stilgar, you're off the hook)
paulgeaf
Embryo
Embryo

Post by paulgeaf »

oh no!
I never even knew this!!
Arrrgghh!
Hit me hit me!
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Tinkerbell wrote:Now, that's the way to make business! Promise what you won't give! yeah!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's really true!! 8)
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Amen to that!
From no won, that shall be my way of doing business...!!

(ugh, Stilgar, you put Neruda as your quote?? He was such a copycat, IMO)
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Tinkerbell wrote:(ugh, Stilgar, you put Neruda as your quote?? He was such a copycat, IMO)
Really?? :shock: ... well, he is some kind of idol here... in fact, that's not the first time i hear that he was a copycat or something like that... can i ask you who was (probably) copied by him?? i would like to read and see if i get to the same opinion :)

Anyway, i've changed the quote...
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Aw, heck, I read it in some magazine. It's not like I'd care to memorize the name of the poet, since I don't particularly care about poetry, anyway.