A Book about Gilmour's Blck Strat!

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

A Book about Gilmour's Blck Strat!

Post by nosaj »

So, his guitar tech has written a book about the black Strat :shock: . November 1, 2007.

Seems, everybody is writing a book for this 40th Anniversary!

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/th ... nic-g.html
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Re: A Book about Gilmour's Blck Strat!

Post by Cowards »

Storm must be rolling in dosh!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Cowards wrote:Storm must be rolling in dosh!
Storm is the most active member of Pink Floyd.
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

i think it might be a good read... I just finished Joe Boyds book it was EXCELLENT !
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Just wondering....what exactly can somebody write about Gilmour's Black Strat? Will it be along the lines of....

14th June
Today I took off the antique 1954 rosewood neck and replace it with a mahogany one

15th June
David decided he didn't like the mahogany one so I got out the hacksaw again and stuck back on the old one

etc etc
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

16th June

Removed the single coils and wax potted them to take away the hum

He never appreciates me!

I'm going to set his house on fire!

THREAD HIJACK!
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Here's a probable quote:

"I can't believe I let him talk me out of the 00001 Strat. What was I thinking?"
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

fatoldbob wrote:Here's a probable quote:

"I can't believe I let him talk me out of the 00001 Strat. What was I thinking?"
No doubt..... It had to have been a whole lot of money I would think. But in my mind there are some things that are worth more than money.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

17 June

I woke up this morning to an annoying message on my answering machine. It appears Dave wants me to restring his new 001 Strat and check the neck for straightness. Asshole.

18 June

Today old fat gut really pissed me off! I was playing a little riff on one of his guitars I had just restrung and he told me not to give up my day job! Wanker!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

snifferdog wrote:Just wondering....what exactly can somebody write about Gilmour's Black Strat?
There are books about the most trivial things you can imagine...i'm sure that there will be something to write about Daves famous black strat.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Seems like the hungrier people get for info about a defunct group, the more publications like this will arise!
FitchV
Axe
Axe

Post by FitchV »

Hi Guys,

David Gilmour's black Fender Stratocaster guitar is a legendary guitar in the history of rock and roll. When you listen you a Pink Floyd album, you are likely hearing the black Strat in action. Gilmour used it on Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, and just about every other Pink Floyd album he appeared on. If you watch his latest DVD, Remember That Night, you can see the black Strat in use.

Now, keep in mind that since the guitar has been in use since 1970, it has gone through many changes. New necks have been put on and taken off, the electronics have been modified, new pickups have been added and removed, and even the look of the guitar has changed (it now sports a black pickguard). Gilmour has tried lots of different experiments with the guitar over the years, most of which have never been documented before. Phil's new book will explain all the changes the guitar has gone through throughout the years, and in doing so, explain how David's sound and, as such, Pink Floyd's sound has changed from album to album, and tour to tour. This is not just a book about some old guitar. It is a book about THE guitar of one of the most prominent musicians in music today, and the changes that the guitar has gone through to produce some of the most enduring music in the history of rock and roll. It is one of the untold stories of Pink Floyd's magic.

Anyone interested in the Pink Floyd's music and how it was made should purchase this book.

And that just MHO. :-)

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Thanks for that perspective Vernon! Pink Floyd fans aside, I would think that any musician, especially a guitarist, would find many of the modifications to the black strat quite fascinating.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Thank you, Mr. Fitch, for your input on this topic. It has indeed helped me to realize that there is more behind this book than a fluff piece. In that case, I definitely find it worth studying, since music production fascinates me, especially experimenting with new sounds and techniques.

Hopefully there is indeed enough new information to override my cynicism concerning pieces on Pink Floyd that have been done to death!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I'd rather read a book about Matt Bellamy's black Manson guitar...