what has his music done for you

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
trancended_oysters
Embryo
Embryo

what has his music done for you

Post by trancended_oysters »

its taken me places... back into crevices of blissful childhood and into quiet open space, melodies and words which have sparked philosophical thought and perspective. it makes me want to play guitar more and write songs. its helped me to look at everything i do at a different angle somehow, as if speaking out to me that you can make something incredible happen out of nothing.. It makes me think of infinity and vastness and human vanity. Im not even going to say anymore. Its simple but heavy... a man and a music of dangerous and incredible extremes..
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: what has his music done for you

Post by Duckboy »

all its really done for me is give me momentary enjoyment, but thats the best kind isnt it?
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

It made me stub my toe and kicked me in the shin. It's a right wanker.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

:lol:
trancended_oysters
Embryo
Embryo

Post by trancended_oysters »

Duckboy wrote:all its really done for me is give me momentary enjoyment, but thats the best kind isnt it?
thats an interesting question i suppose.. but do I receive all my enjoyment in answering it the moment I finish my answer, or do I reap a steady idle of enjoyment as my answer accumulates into a logical and witty climax?
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

It moves me beyond words (I know that sounds so pretentious, but it's the truth). Syd Barrett is and will always be for me the real deal...a great songwriter with an edge.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

His music has shown me how to transcend the natural barriers of thought with my own music. It has shown me how to reach out beyond the standard and grab hold of other things that are out there, on the outside of conformity and "the norm."

Whenever I immerse myself in his works, I feel inspired. I get into the mood where I want to create something beautiful as well to pay it tribute, to try to come close to expressing myself with a fraction of the depth that he could.

His was a wonderful, rare gift that should be celebrated.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

got me interested in learning to play the guitar - just sos i could do some of his songs.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Duckboy wrote:all its really done for me is give me momentary enjoyment, but thats the best kind isnt it?
Sorry, I don't think so. I rather like instane enjoyment, like, "here and now (and all of it)" :)

Floyds helped me get through my teenagehood, now they help me understand things I haven't understood yet, and yet more - they teach me to express my feelings in an effective way 8) Also, they're good when I just wanna lay back, or rock out.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

what im saying is if your in constant enjoyment you would start taking enjoyment for granted whereas if its momentary you appreciate it more
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Duckboy wrote:what im saying is if your in constant enjoyment you would start taking enjoyment for granted whereas if its momentary you appreciate it more
True. But an enjoyment indeed is never endless, is it...
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

perhaps it is, in death
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

I have stricted rules for dying happy :)
I mean, I know what I need to do in my life to die happy, without fear.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

i hope i dont die to old, i dont want to be a vegetable man
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

I must start my day with 'Dominoes' and 'Baby Lemonade'. I just have to. Sometimes my daughter (major Barrett fan) and I just ride in the car and put on Barrett. Makes for a pleasant day!