Wish You Were Here cover - radiohead/sparklehorse

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wish You Were Here cover - radiohead/sparklehorse

Post by Keith Jordan »

What do we all think of this and other covers of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here song? This one is by radiohead/sparklehorse and is 6.3MB.

http://www.btinternet.com/%7Ekjnpf/radiohead_wywh.mp3
kipnow
Axe
Axe

Post by kipnow »

I think radiohead shouldn't even try to touch wywh. I don't like it at all. Heck, I even like marylins mansons version of abitw better :twisted:
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Not bad, not bad at all. I hated the Fred Durst version that was performed for the 9/11 benefit a couple of years ago. They changed the lyrics a bit to make it fit the situation, but it just didn't feel right to me.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

agh agh agh. The most pretentious band makes PF cover... *puke*
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Oh, I've heard so many covers (or shall I say 'attempts of murder') of that song, that I don't think I can take it anymore...
I understand someone making a cover of I dunno, Have a Cigar, but WYWH shouldn't be touched.Somethingsare just 'sacred'.
Radiohead
Embryo
Embryo

About the WYWH cover

Post by Radiohead »

I had my hands on this song about a month ago. I listened to it, and didn't really like it. It was very leveled out and lacking emotion. But after, oh, about 5 more listens, I really liked it. It was not until I re-listened to the REAL version that I realized PF is better. BUT, I do love this version. I love radiohead, but that's not why I think this cover is genius. The reason why, is that Thom sang it they way he wanted to, and didn't try to duplicate PF, because no-one can. They did change 2 words though, which confused my sing-a-long, but now I am adapted...lol.
mnagoda
Axe
Axe

Post by mnagoda »

manson did a cover of abitw? *shudder* oh the horror, the horror! THE ABSOLUTE HORROR! i actually i had an odd dream about him running rampid thru ought my house dragging a pile of wood in a wheelbarrow and swearing like a sailor. i that man and his work. no body should cover floyd unless its a tribute band who really knows what theyre doing. i did a cover of wish you were here at a campfire, and the priest who was there told me to stop playing pagan crap music. probably cuz i played abitw first.
moey
Embryo
Embryo

Post by moey »

i've been a fan of both floyd and radiohead for a while... floyd WAY longer than radiohead, for the record... and i enjoy torturing myself by downloading floyd covers just to see how horrible they are, how much they injured the original intentions of whatever song it is...

all that said, heh, i love the radiohead version. i've had a version of it for a long while now, i don't listen to it that much but it's quite pretty, i love how they adopted the guitar to a piano, and whoever said before that they change two words, yeah that throws me off too... but i still think it's pretty good.

another floyd cover i expected to despise but ended up loving: wyclef jean's cover of wywh. yes, i'm serious. i think it's quite well done. i don't even like hiphop/rap (at ALL) but it's still enjoyable...

:roll:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

mnagoda wrote:manson did a cover of abitw?

Actually, he didn't. The "Manson" cover of ABITW2 is from the soundtrack to the movie The Faculty and is performed by a supergroup including Tom Morello (RATM and Audioslave) on guitar and Layne Staley (Alice In Chains) on vocals.
Chien_Andalusia
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Chien_Andalusia »

Well I have been a Radiohead fan for quite some time (hell, I even have a radiohead fan site) and while I have been aware of Pink Floyd in one form or another all my life, I only started really listening to them over the past three years or so (cut me some slack, I'm only 21 and living in remote rural Ireland :p). Saying all of that, I heard the original WYWH long before the cover version by Thom and Sparklehorse (which I heard about a year and a half ago) and to be perfectly honest, despite my long liking for Radiohead, I couldn't stand it. I agree with an artist giving their own spin on a song when covering it, but this version is dull, seems strung out, the vocals are terrible and the lyric tampering is a bit pointless as it doesn't do anything new for the song. In short, I file this along with Wyclef Jean in "covers of wish you were here I will pretend never existed". Fred Durst did a cover of it?!? Oh crap cakes! Oddly enough, one of the better covers of this song I heard is by an Irish band I spend the whole time slagging off. They're called Aslan and never really made it internationally and they tend to suck a bit, but I will give them their due with this. While on the topic of ABITW covers, I once heard an mp3 of Pearl Jam performing their song "Daughter" live and towards the end it flowed into ABITW PtII.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I'm agains't most of the covers. I can't recall any descent cover performance. Few months ago I bought Beatles -songs (I don't know if I can call this a cover-album) performed by finnish singers in finnish and well... what can I say if Lovely Rita is translated as "Strong Rita", When I'm Sixty-Four is amazing "The Most Grey Man In Town"... well maybe I appreciate it when I'm sixty four...
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

mosespa wrote:
mnagoda wrote:manson did a cover of abitw?

Actually, he didn't. The "Manson" cover of ABITW2 is from the soundtrack to the movie The Faculty and is performed by a supergroup including Tom Morello (RATM and Audioslave) on guitar and Layne Staley (Alice In Chains) on vocals.
Why everybody thinks Manson played ABITW2 for the film The Faculty???

Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

I've never heard that version...does it sound like him, or something?
kipnow
Axe
Axe

Post by kipnow »

Charade I am wrote:
mosespa wrote:

Why everybody thinks Manson played ABITW2 for the film The Faculty???
Because we're stupid. It was class of 99, of course. But I have a mp3 on my computer saying "marylinmanson-anotherbrickinthewallparttwo" and it sounds bad enough to be true. :P
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I thought that Radiohead thing was alright, could have pictured it being better if Thom Yorke had put some effort in to it.