1973: On the Run

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

1973: On the Run

Post by J Ed »

what happened in 1973?

On the Run replaced the Travel Sequence as 2nd "song" in the Dark Side suite

discuss
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Re: 1973: On the Run

Post by cymbaline212 »

badddddddd decision. travel sequence >>>>>>> on the run
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

replaced in late 72 ??/no ??

maybe i am wrong
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

they may have recorded it in the studio in late 1972
but the live shows Ive heard, as late as the Dec 1 St Ouen France show, still feature the Travel Sequence
I dont think Ive heard any shows later than that

I believe the first time the outside world heard On the Run, and the vocal version of Great Gig, was when the album was released
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

was the travel seq
on the run w/ no sound effects ???
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

lostplay wrote:was the travel seq
on the run w/ no sound effects ???
Well, no.
Travel sequence whas basically a filler, pretty much the same as any colour you like.
Gilmours and Wrights improvisations.
But, regardless of that fact, those two songs where very interesting part of the performance.
Those two songs took the dark side/eclipse set from it's programed path and returned the gig few years back...when there whas more improvisation on stage.
At least thats whas I think...OR as a great MOSS would say...maybee it's just me....
:D
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I have a feeling that the band kept using Travel Sequence even after On The Run was created because of simple technical limitations. I'm not sure if they had the synth yet, or had taken the time to create the tape loops. I don't even know if Rick had received (or brought) his synth, which he apparently didn't have in mid-'72 when Obscured By Clouds was created.

I doubt it was saving the big surprise for later, as the Floyd never seemed to restrain themselves from debuting new stuff at other times (The Amazing Pudding, Childhood's End, Wish You Were Animals).
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Although I like the 'Travel Sequence' a lot I think 'On the Run' gives more "edge" to the album, it has this really paranoid feeling running through it, very disconforting piece of music, that's way I think it works better in the context of the album, it affects you in a deeper level; when the ringing clocks enter on 'Time' it's a relief, almost as if you just got out of some kind of nightmare.

edit: right now I'm hearing the Sapporo live 'Travel Sequence' 72-03-13 and there is this sound of like a train reaching its stop, slowing down its speed, what is that? a pre-recorded SFX? a synthetizer? anyway it sounds like an early "musical" idea for 'On The Run'.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

danielcaux wrote:Although I like the 'Travel Sequence' a lot I think 'On the Run' gives more "edge" to the album, it has this really paranoid feeling running through it, very disconforting piece of music, that's way I think it works better in the context of the album, it affects you in a deeper level; when the ringing clocks enter on 'Time' it's a relief, almost as if you just got out of some kind of nightmare.

edit: right now I'm hearing the Sapporo live 'Travel Sequence' 72-03-13 and there is this sound of like a train reaching its stop, slowing down its speed, what is that? a pre-recorded SFX? a synthetizer? anyway it sounds like an early "musical" idea for 'On The Run'.
so is trav seq
on the run with no sound effects ???
i think so
also
on trav sq and on the run rick show's us on a dvd how he made a simple piano sound and speeded it up
at one speed it sound like millions of bugs >>
[[grooving w/ a pic has this in it ]]
>>>at a slightly slower speed we then got what we now have
david took many old sound effects from nicks sound vault
and made that famous 6 foot long loop .. so david in effect took
speeded up piano chords and then changed again the tone and speed .. rick could never reproduce any of these sound's .he even lost the ping ..
this is why any one in the digital world could never reproduce
dsom today from scratch .. 5 yrs of odd saved tracks from 5 plus albums .. every song had multiple tracks / a true labour of love .. but why love ??? cause if you fucked up an early laid down you ruined 8 or 9 that were laid down on top . you wasted the bands time and studio time too ..,and roger never forgives fuckups [[see ricks screw up on OBC ]]

on the run is a culmination of a lot of diff stuff
easily the best song on dsom .. it truly gives a feeling of movement .. and mass vehicle traffic in some future city .
and the future became now . all 4 band members deserve great credit here
nick for his archives .rick for his ping and piano gymnastics
roger for seeing it for what it was .. and most of all for david for creating that final on the run sound ..

whew

J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by J Ed »

LostPlay you really need to get hold of some 72 shows
The Travel Sequence is not On the Run without sound effects, its a long instrumental jam centred on a choppy guitar pattern by Dave, flowing out of the chords of Breathe

what they share in common is the rapid up and down rhythm and the sense of going over bigger and bigger waves

I agree it is the culmination of experiments theyd been working on for years
in The Man and the Journey shows we can hear these intense sounding percussion jams, with taped voices and sound effects
in the 1969 Royal Albert Hall Rehearsals DVD we see Roger fiddling with a speaker and tape device of some sort, adjusting the speed of the "percussion jam" - apparantly the percussion jam itself was a tape, and I think this actually sounds more like On the Run than The Travel Sequence did

in fact I believe several elements of Dark Side first appeared in The Man and the Journey, in terms of structure, concept, and specific effects
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

J Ed wrote:LostPlay you really need to get hold of some 72 shows
The Travel Sequence is not On the Run without sound effects, its a long instrumental jam centred on a choppy guitar pattern by Dave, flowing out of the chords of Breathe

what they share in common is the rapid up and down rhythm and the sense of going over bigger and bigger waves

I agree it is the culmination of experiments theyd been working on for years
in The Man and the Journey shows we can hear these intense sounding percussion jams, with taped voices and sound effects
in the 1969 Royal Albert Hall Rehearsals DVD we see Roger fiddling with a speaker and tape device of some sort, adjusting the speed of the "percussion jam" - apparantly the percussion jam itself was a tape, and I think this actually sounds more like On the Run than The Travel Sequence did

in fact I believe several elements of Dark Side first appeared in The Man and the Journey, in terms of structure, concept, and specific effects
i stand corrected

1969 Royal Albert Hall Rehearsals DVD ?????
wow
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

J Ed wrote:in fact I believe several elements of Dark Side first appeared in The Man and the Journey, in terms of structure, concept, and specific effects
That is so true, come to think of it. Excellent observation.
Lostplay, if you have some speedy internet connection, you can dowload loads of interesting stuff. Just ask and we'll send you a pm...since we cant talk about that in the public.
Or you can join our secret league of extraoridinary gentlemen.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

Damn!t wrote:
J Ed wrote:in fact I believe several elements of Dark Side first appeared in The Man and the Journey, in terms of structure, concept, and specific effects
That is so true, come to think of it. Excellent observation.
Lostplay, if you have some speedy internet connection, you can dowload loads of interesting stuff. Just ask and we'll send you a pm...since we cant talk about that in the public.
Or you can join our secret league of extraoridinary gentlemen.

ASK

please pm me
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

i never liked On the Run. Until i saw it live on Rogs tour 2007. Mind blowing!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I find On The Run boring. But I find the "Travel Sequence" even more boring, so I'm glad they got rid of it.