Attention Double Core Participants...Redux...

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
mosespa

Attention Double Core Participants...Redux...

Post by mosespa »

BPMolder has very generously offered his time and expertise to do a remix/remaster of Double Core in preparations to see if Myspace Records will release it and give it some more proper distribution.

Here's the thing...I don't know about anyone else, but my original multi-track files have been deleted. So, "Stars" and "Come And See" cannot have a remix.

Does anyone else still have their original multi-track files?

If not...would anyone/everyone be interested in re-recording your tracks? I know I certainly feel that "Come And See" could be better recorded than it currently is.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Attention Double Core Participants...Redux...

Post by bpmolder »

I am deeply honored that mossy has consulted me on this. I love this album and would really like to see you guys get the recognition and exposure you deserve for all your hard work and innovation. I have the equipment to do a complete remix and remaster on this album, creating an industry-accepted distribution package. As most of you know, though, the pieces have to be tweaked on a track-by-track basis to achieve that unity and consistency of sound for a widely distributable CD or radio-broadcast quality work.

So if you guys want to re-submit your songs in the aforementioned format, we can really launch this thing. If this is acceptable, I can direct you to free hosting services that will allow you to upload your files for transfer to me and/or mossy.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

:(

But will you rework your pieces, Sean :) ?

Mine is, you may not believe it, a one-track. And I'd saved it before my system crashed recently.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Well moom, here's more of the situation:

Mossy and I have talked back and forth about possible problems like this that could interfere with the level of remixing and remastering necessary to pull this off. A lot of people tend to make a track and just discard all the individual track files. It's not a good thing to throw anything away like this, but hey, people make mistakes. We are all human here. It's just important to note that in the future, whenever you create anything like this, you save every piece of what was used to build it, every basic element. If you don't have hard drive space to spare, CD and/or DVD backups work just fine.

Re-doing tracks would be a huge pain in the ass, but there are positives to be had as well. Firstly, it allows for expansion and improvement of a work. If you feel you didn't get it perfect the first time, here is your chance. There is always room for improvement. Every one of us are learning new things every day. Secondly, it might give birth to ideas for totally new pieces which is always a good thing. Thirdly, it allows for the more serious consideration that this album deserves.

It's a situation that everyone can profit from in one way or another, whether it be by exposure, improving techniques, giving birth to new ideas, or simply enjoying doing it again.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Titanic Drill was recorded on a cassette portastudio. I don't have any digital mulitrack software except an ancient Cool Edit Pro. I've only recently had a home computer (and I use one for a living!). I'll see if I can find the disc and install it and...we'll see.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Strange... I've never thought about doing so before... Well, I actually did do that, but just occasionally...

thanks, Molder :) We all make mistakes, indeed (otherwise life would be less interesting) :lol:
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

2066 wrote:Titanic Drill was recorded on a cassette portastudio. I don't have any digital mulitrack software except an ancient Cool Edit Pro. I've only recently had a home computer (and I use one for a living!). I'll see if I can find the disc and install it and...we'll see.
Well, if you can transfer it to no less than 4 tracks digitally then I can work some magic to make it groove along with the rest of the album dynamically. If not, then I will just see what I can do with the flac file from the digital album I have downloaded. It would be preferable to have a 4 track digital master if you can swing it though.
moom wrote:Strange... I've never thought about doing so before... Well, I actually did do that, but just occasionally...

thanks, Molder :) We all make mistakes, indeed (otherwise life would be less interesting) :lol:
It's cool, moom. It's just important when doing this kind of work to save everything, because you never know when you will need it again.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

moom wrote::(

But will you rework your pieces, Sean :) ?
Yes, I would...that's another thing that could be done a little more smoothly, I feel.

I might (notice that I said "MIGHT,") even have those tracks backed up on a DVD somewhere.
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

I really like this idea!

However, I think the artwork is pretty good (yes yes, I'm full of myself :lol: ) as it is and doesn't really need anything else! But if you people have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Saad, your artwork is PERFECT!!

The ONLY change I would even think of making is that either Come And See or Stars has some incorrect lyrics.

But even that's not a big thing.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I listened to the album this morning and it sounded great! Excuse my ignorance, but would it really make a difference to remaster/ re-record the songs? Why mess with a good thing? I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just honestly don't know. Here's another way of asking: Is the person who sits down and doesn't like the stereo version of Flaming going to listen to the mono version and get excited enough to go out and buy the song?

For The Airwaves to redo my song might be pretty tough. I know Patrick wasn't too satisfied with it anyway, but made it very clear that that was the best they could do under time restraints. Maybe they have more time now?
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

Neil Beards I love you!!

Put this out as a single. I'm probably posting in the wrong thread. Maybe even the wrong board. Or perhaps the wrong Internet. But whatever. Magnolia is ace to the ace!
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

cwta eugene wrote:I listened to the album this morning and it sounded great! Excuse my ignorance, but would it really make a difference to remaster/ re-record the songs? Why mess with a good thing?
Yes, the album does sound great as it is, but there is so much room for improvement there. There is a lot that can be better. I don't want to come off as picky or insulting to anyone, but the takes weren't the best for a distribution calibre album. If everyone involved indeed does want to get this thing out and get some buzz from it, it needs to be mixed as a unit, compressed and mastered so it has that "radio playable" sound and everything is even. As it is now, even though it is cross faded together into one piece, it still sounds like separate works that don't go together on the same album. The style isn't everything. Sound is just as important.

As I stated before and will state again, if it isn't possible to reproduce some of the pieces, I will try my best to make them work as is. It would really be best, though, to have new, multi-track cuts.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

You know, I'm kind of on the fence, here.

While I understand what BPMolder is getting at, at the same time, this album was never really intended for "serious" distribution. I don't think we ever really intended for it to go beyond users at this forum.

As I've said before, the whole point of the project was "it's amateur, baby;" and for that, I think it came out rather great.

Since there seems to be a workable link, there may not even be a need to go through Myspace records to get this to the people it was originally intended for (users here at NPF.)

Now, if we could just get Keef to put that link in a newsletter along with a story on these projects, lol.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yes, that's me.

Thanks, horsewhisperer :D :D