Attention Double Core Participants...Redux...

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
mosespa

Re: Attention Double Core Participants...Redux...

Post by mosespa »

It's been on the myspace page set up for this project...beyond that, no. It hasn't been played anywhere else.

I understand the "familiar" feeling of the song. I felt it when I was writing it...I was actually concerned that I might have been unintentionally plagiarising something else...but I couldn't find anything and neither could any of my music geek friends that I played it for. So, I decided to run with it and hope I don't get sued :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

mosespa wrote:You know, I'm kind of on the fence, here.

While I understand what BPMolder is getting at, at the same time, this album was never really intended for "serious" distribution. I don't think we ever really intended for it to go beyond users at this forum.
That's completely understandable. It is often normal in the process of dreaming and imagining to wonder how far something can go and speculation will always arise, especially when someone like me comes along who thinks of everything on such a large scale.

Here's what I can do then at the least. I can take the flac files that I have and work with them as the two channel stereo downmixes they are, to just help them flow better as a cohesive unit. You know, a bit of compression from beginning to end similar to what they do at radio stations to make all songs they play sound as uniform as possible. A little bit of sweetening, making the highs and lows stand out a little bit brighter and giving it an overall fatter sound. Maybe even a subtle flanging or reverb effect to help the non-flanged, non-reverbed tracks match the ones that are. There is even a good two channel master that can be done to it all after these other things.

I figure that it is the least I can do to help this wonderful piece of work shine as much as possible, even if it is just to be distributed in a very small way. If it doesn't do much good, then there is nothing lost. If it does improve the mix and help it sound better, and everyone likes the improved sound, then all I have to do is render a new set of flacs and mp3s and upload them to my file server like the project we are getting together now. That way, everyone can download the files and whoever wants to host them can.

If anyone still wants to redo any of their songs though, I will be happy to help with any step in that process. If you all want to let them ride as is and let me try to remix and remaster them as is, I will be happy to do that as well. Whichever way you decide to do it will be a positive in one way or another.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

What say we try that approach first, Geoff? That way, we can see exactly what can be done with it as is before we go about trying to re-record everything (which, I would guess, not everyone wants to do...not that I blame them, mind you, lol.)
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

That's cool. I will start going over the flac files one by one and seeing what can be done. There will be definite improvement, it's just impossible to tell just to what degree at this point until it is actually done. I can do some pretty interesting things with filters and EQs so I will see what's up as soon as I get the chance this week and I keep everyone posted.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I keep multi-track archives of everything I work on, so I do have all the original files for Silent Victory, but I can't say as I'm too keen on re-visiting it, to be honest. It was a fun thing, and I learned from it, but it's done. I prefer to take what I learned from past projects and put that knowledge into present and future projects.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Does MySpace really has its own record company :) ? Do they work like a usual one ?
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

I'm with Mosespa here.First off,I'm very happy for you to tweak the existing files as you see fit,BPMolder and then do with them what you like.I fear I don't have the individual tracks for our song,Magnolia.If needs be,we can record the thing again and let you have the individual tracks but I must admit its probably not high on the priority list at the moment.Best of luck with the initial phase of the remaster project though.Its flattering to all of us that you're interested enough to spend the time doing this.Cheers.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Massed Gadgets wrote:I keep multi-track archives of everything I work on, so I do have all the original files for Silent Victory, but I can't say as I'm too keen on re-visiting it, to be honest. It was a fun thing, and I learned from it, but it's done. I prefer to take what I learned from past projects and put that knowledge into present and future projects.
Yeah, a lot of people prefer to not revisit past works. It can tend to be a huge pain in the nuts. I honestly didn't think it would be too easy to redo all the tracks for a high-end master but mossy and I were just presenting all the options and leaving it up to you all to decide.
moom wrote:Does MySpace really has its own record company :) ? Do they work like a usual one ?
Yes, Myspace has its own record company that supports and promotes up and coming artists, as well as funding album pressings and distributions and scheduling tours for those artists to establish a following. There have already been at least a dozen artists who were on Myspace Records this year alone who were picked up by major labels and one has even landed her own television show.
Neil1567/2 wrote:I'm with Mosespa here.First off,I'm very happy for you to tweak the existing files as you see fit,BPMolder and then do with them what you like.I fear I don't have the individual tracks for our song,Magnolia.If needs be,we can record the thing again and let you have the individual tracks but I must admit its probably not high on the priority list at the moment.Best of luck with the initial phase of the remaster project though.Its flattering to all of us that you're interested enough to spend the time doing this.Cheers.
Yeah, I knew going into this that it would be an uphill battle to get new files. People have too much of a life and other things going on to take time to do it. It's my pleasure to do with them what I can however, as it will be something new to me as well. I have always wondered what it would be like to try to brighten up 2-channel stereo tracks without multi-track originals so it will be a fun experiment for me that will stretch the boundaries of my skills and creativity. Besides that, I am also very interested in Double Core. I am fascinated by the way that people came together from around the globe to do this and look forward to putting the final product of this new project together as well. It's really going to be a good time to remember.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

It doesn't seem that I presently have the technology to transfer the cassette four track portastudio recording of Titanic Drill into the digital domain. Feel free to do whatever you want with the present recording of it. It's cool that you've taken an interest in doing something with all of these recordings! Cheers!
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

I am going to begin sweetening up the files I have shortly. If anyone changes their mind and wants to submit an updated song, just let mossy know so he can instruct me on how the cross-edits should change if necessary.

In the meantime, I will begin work on one of the files and when I get it done, I will post a link to it in this thread. Wish me luck.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Nice, agent Molder :D

Unfortunately, I can't go on tours abroad... But if any "collective" tour happens, please don't forget to play my/Sean's stuff :D (in recording, of course) .