Clare Torry - Heaven in the Sky

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
chiefrob
Embryo
Embryo

Clare Torry - Heaven in the Sky

Post by chiefrob »

I believe I saw this cassette in a vinyl shop was wondering if anyone had heard it; looking for a review from a Dark Side fan, before I buy.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Clare Torry - Heaven in the Sky

Post by J Ed »

never heard of it
but a Google search turns up the following:
heaven in the sky - all music guide review
Clare Torry will forever be known mostly as the guest session vocalist on Pink Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky" on the Dark Side of the Moon album. However, in addition to singing on many other U.K. sessions from the end of the 1960s through the mid-'90s, she also recorded some obscure solo singles and wrote some of her own material. Heaven in the Sky collects 18 recordings from 1967-1984 on which she's the featured singer. From the otherwise thorough liner notes it's not entirely clear what has been previously released, but it does reach way back to the late '60s and early '70s for a few rare solo singles, including a 1970 45 she did under the name Alice Pepper. Because it's taken from numerous sources (including commercials, television themes, and soundtracks) reaching across almost two decades, it's unavoidably patchy. But it does sound as if, had things worked out a little differently, Torry might have had a career as a respectable singer/songwriter in her own right. She has a strong, soulful voice and exhibited some promise as a soul-pop composer, and certainly sounds like a greater talent than, say, her friend Kiki Dee. The highlights do tend to be the earlier tracks, such as the previously unissued 1969 outtake "Midnight Train," which is fine blue-eyed soul, and the melodramatic ballad (from the same year) "Love for Living," which Robin Gibb helped produce. And for those who liked her contribution to "Great Gig in the Sky," "Theme from Film 'OCE'" (from a 1977 film soundtrack) has more of the same kind of beautiful wordless high vocalizing, though she infers in the liner notes that she was reluctant to record in a style so explicitly reminiscent of that famous Pink Floyd guest spot. Much of the other material falls down not so much on the singing, which is usually good, as the material, which is often ordinary or even drab mainstream pop. Still, the better parts are impressive, and make one hope that some of the other rare/unreleased recordings referred to in the liner notes are eventually issued on CD. ~ Richie Unterberger, All Music Guide
heaven in the sky - track listing
track# song name track time
1 Intro: British Caledonian (0:32)
2 Midnight Train (2:27)
3 Music Attracts Me (2:14)
4 Love for Living (3:17)
5 Carry on Singing My Song (3:36)
6 Theme from Film 'OCE' (3:01)
7 Heaven in the Sky (3:55)
8 Love for Sale (4:02)
9 I Always Seem to Wind Up Loving You (3:45)
10 Love Is Like a Butterfly (From Butterflies) (2:46)
11 Warming and True (3:51)
12 I Know What I Like Best (4:32)
13 Knock Knock Who's There (3:38)
14 Can't You Hear My Heartbeat (2:35)
15 My Boyfriend's Back (2:42)
16 One Way Street (3:22)
17 Well Done (2:50)
18 It's All Over (3:34)
heaven in the sky - album credits
Clare Torry Producer, Compilation
Richard Hill ?
Paul Bevoir Artwork, Design
Mark Stratford Producer, Compilation
Ian Shepherd Mastering
Jonathan Hodge ?
Kieron Tyler Liner Notes
Alan Hawkshaw ?
Karl Jenkins ?
John Carter Producer, Compilation
if its not too expensive why dont you buy a copy and give us a review?
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Re: Clare Torry - Heaven in the Sky

Post by Peter Harold »

Alan Hankshaw... well, I think he was pianist in The Shadows (Hank Marvin & c:o)