Double Core Remastering Begins

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Double Core Remastering Begins

Post by bpmolder »

I've got some good news. I began the Double Core remastering project today. It isn't technically remastering since I don't have the masters themselves but I will call it that for the sake of brevity.

Here's what I have done:

1. Converted the FLAC files I received back to WAV and sequenced them to see how the tracks flow in and out of each other. I discovered it was necessary to do some subtle cross-fading between a few of the tracks to keep the changes from being too in-your-face when the compression, sweetening and band equalization begins.

2. I made one big, high-quality WAV file of the whole album, with the cross-fades in place where needed and I did a subtle compression and limiting on the album as a whole. This made the loud parts not so loud and the soft parts not so soft. It basically smoothed out the dynamics a bit and normalized the sound as a whole.

3. I re-chopped the album into 10 tracks so the cuts would be precise to 100th of a second and so I would have a frame of reference when putting them all back together to re-render the FLAC files and MP3s for people to download and enjoy.

4. I took the first two tracks of the album, which flow into each other nicely but are still contrasting enough sound and style wise, and applied my secret extra crispy mastering recipe. :wink: It's not really a secret, it's just a signature sound that I have developed over the years. Calling it secret just makes it seem mysterious when it is actually just boring and technical. :lol:

5. I then rendered what I got for these two tracks into remastered WAV files that would convert to MP3 nicely without losing too much of the high end. It will give you all a chance to listen to these quick samples and compare them to the originals they have been listening to all along.

So please let me know what you think of these samples. Download links are here:

http://uploadingit.com/files/361326_mwr ... red%29.mp3

http://uploadingit.com/files/361332_09x ... red%29.mp3

I believe I have found the right combo of changes to apply here. They will really make everything sound like it was performed in the same room on the same day. If everyone involved in this likes what I am doing, then I will continue. If any of you have any suggestions or anything, let me know.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Double Core Remastering Begins

Post by Syd'sSexy »

They sound awesome Geoff! Good work! :D I would be interested to hear the comments of the artists that produced/recorded these tracks!
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Syd'sSexy wrote:They sound awesome Geoff! Good work! :D I would be interested to hear the comments of the artists that produced/recorded these tracks!
Thank you, Teresa. :D

I do recommend to everyone though that you listen to the originals you have first, then these. It will give your ear a good idea of the changes.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i dont suppose you could put a higher quality sample up BP - 128 kps mp3 just doesn't match the quality i get with the original wma file. the original sounds much fuller - especially on silent victory. just a one minute sample would do - dont need the whole thing. comparing 128 kps mp3 to 341 kps wma is apples and oranges.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

oz1701 wrote:i dont suppose you could put a higher quality sample up BP - 128 kps mp3 just doesn't match the quality i get with the original wma file. the original sounds much fuller - especially on silent victory. just a one minute sample would do - dont need the whole thing. comparing 128 kps mp3 to 341 kps wma is apples and oranges.
You're right. The decision to go with the broadcast quality MP3s was based mainly on making them more accessible to people with limited bandwidth and space. Give me a few hours and I will post some good quality FLAC files for those who can handle the size.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

bpmolder wrote:
oz1701 wrote:i dont suppose you could put a higher quality sample up BP - 128 kps mp3 just doesn't match the quality i get with the original wma file. the original sounds much fuller - especially on silent victory. just a one minute sample would do - dont need the whole thing. comparing 128 kps mp3 to 341 kps wma is apples and oranges.
You're right. The decision to go with the broadcast quality MP3s was based mainly on making them more accessible to people with limited bandwidth and space. Give me a few hours and I will post some good quality FLAC files for those who can handle the size.
yes i would like to hear that difference 8)
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Here are a couple FLAC files I rendered and uploaded to my file server. The service only accepts a set list of file types so I zipped them before uploading.

In the future, I will make both formats available.

http://uploadingit.com/files/362015_fmb ... red%29.zip

http://uploadingit.com/files/362042_mnj ... red%29.zip
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

Make Magnolia three hours longer.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

bpmolder wrote:Here are a couple FLAC files I rendered and uploaded to my file server. The service only accepts a set list of file types so I zipped them before uploading.

In the future, I will make both formats available.

http://uploadingit.com/files/362015_fmb ... red%29.zip

http://uploadingit.com/files/362042_mnj ... red%29.zip

thanks for that - i downloaded them but for some reason i cant play them - nor can i convert them to another format.

i have played flac files before - and converted to other formats. i noticed that the properties of the files say that the playing length is zero so maybe that has something to do with it :?

anyone else have a problem with the files or is it just me?
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

oz1701 wrote: anyone else have a problem with the files or is it just me?
Same here I'm afraid.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

PooF wrote:
oz1701 wrote: anyone else have a problem with the files or is it just me?
Same here I'm afraid.

well in that case i will cease my search for a solution and leave it up to bp - Thanks for the confirm PooF 8)
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Alrighty then. It turns out that my audio recording program (that is supposed to save in FLAC format) isn't encoding the files correctly. Here are two that work. I tested them this time and they would play on every player I tried that has FLAC codecs, including Winamp, so we should be good to go.

http://uploadingit.com/files/364529_cwm ... red%29.zip

http://uploadingit.com/files/364615_a7v ... red%29.zip

Let me know how these work. If they are OK I will know what encoder to stick with for the rest of the tracks.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Cowards wrote:Make Magnolia three hours longer.
I agree. It's my favourite track on the album as well. :)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

One of my favorites, as well. In fact, I love the song so much, I asked for Neil's permission to perform the song live at an open mic night :D

Sadly, I don't think anyone was paying attention...but I'm getting used to that, :lol: :lol:
markl
Embryo
Embryo

Post by markl »

Hi - thank you for the great feedback about Magnolia - it is one of my favourite songs that we play - Neil is a great songwriter (yes you do owe me a pint next time I see you Neil!)

Please check out more of our stuff at http://www.myspace.com/theamberherd

Sorry - i know this is off topic a little ...... so to return to it (so i don't get in trouble being a newbie and all...)

I haven't had a chance to hear the remastered version of Double Core yet - but I think it is needed to bring the audio "In to line", and making it sound like it was recorded in one place is great.

Cheers

Mark (Amber Herd)