Syd Barrett's music sucks.....

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Syd Barrett's music sucks.....

Post by bpmolder »

lostplay wrote:i would please request that maybe you might want to consider
re thinking the topic title here

please

my love for syd is that strong

peace

9 to the universe
It's one of those things, lostplay old buddy, where it is necessary to look beyond what is on the surface. There is a lesson to be learned there. It's often necessary to shake people up to show them that it's not always good to jump on the first little thing they see without looking at the whole picture. Since you have seen the whole picture now yourself, you should be able to see that there is nothing offensive in the thread's title, only what people perceive as offensive based on a rushed judgment.

It would do us all a lot of good to be a little less sensitive about things. Everyone who has responded to this thread loves Syd and his work, including myself. There's jsut too much sensitivity and too many hurt feelings sometimes. As a result, peoples opinions aren't fully respected. Even if I would have stopped at "Syd Barrett's music sucks" I would still be entitled to my opinion, even if it is drastically different than the consensus here. Sure, it would be blunt and mean to put it that way, but it is a person's right nonetheless.

Those of you who have responded to this thread have done so admirably. You have been honest and said that you were initially pissed off when reading the title, but no one jumped on me without reading the whole thing first, and I salute you all for that.

So given the above things, I believe the title should stand and the thread should run its course as is, because the intended purpose is lost if the title is changed.
The Crow Scare
Axe
Axe

Post by The Crow Scare »

I agree
I didn't find that offensive at all. It's only a play on words :)
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

bpmolder wrote:
lostplay wrote:i would please request that maybe you might want to consider
re thinking the topic title here

please

my love for syd is that strong

peace

9 to the universe
It's one of those things, lostplay old buddy, where it is necessary to look beyond what is on the surface. There is a lesson to be learned there. It's often necessary to shake people up to show them that it's not always good to jump on the first little thing they see without looking at the whole picture. Since you have seen the whole picture now yourself, you should be able to see that there is nothing offensive in the thread's title, only what people perceive as offensive based on a rushed judgment.

It would do us all a lot of good to be a little less sensitive about things. Everyone who has responded to this thread loves Syd and his work, including myself. There's jsut too much sensitivity and too many hurt feelings sometimes. As a result, peoples opinions aren't fully respected. Even if I would have stopped at "Syd Barrett's music sucks" I would still be entitled to my opinion, even if it is drastically different than the consensus here. Sure, it would be blunt and mean to put it that way, but it is a person's right nonetheless.

Those of you who have responded to this thread have done so admirably. You have been honest and said that you were initially pissed off when reading the title, but no one jumped on me without reading the whole thing first, and I salute you all for that.

So given the above things, I believe the title should stand and the thread should run its course as is, because the intended purpose is lost if the title is changed.

dude i understood it was a play on words when i saw the topic author.

i also understand there is a bunch of topics like this that
bash some member of pink floyd

washing the stain with soap does not take away the bad tatse of seeing syd bashed ,,,

all that is fine
all you said above makes a valid ..weak ..but valid point

the point's you miss
1 you are better than this
2 npf looks stupid
3 the world is watching and reading here
and a friend of mine looks tacky

ok
i am not offended or upset at all

i only asked that you may want to consider
consider
think about a possible maybe change of title

if not ???
no probs dude
you still are best writer here

peace

ps when i act off color
i expect you to pull no punches
and tell me ............
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

bpmolder wrote:
Ha ha! Gotcha! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wait till I get my hands on you, you :lol: !!
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Jesus Geoff! I saw the title and who wrote the thread and thought WTF?

You definitely got me! :lol:
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

:lol:

i was never a fan of his music, especially solo, but PATGOD is one of the few psychedelic albums i can enjoy, songs like astronomy domine, powrtorch (spell?), lucifer sam, so many to mention.

i never liked jugband blues, but after knowing what it is about i changed a lot my view on it, it became a moving song IMO, ending SOS perfectly.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Syd'sSexy wrote:Jesus Geoff! I saw the title and who wrote the thread and thought WTF?

You definitely got me! :lol:
I figured I would try following P.T. Barnum's philosophy, figuring that a good, shocking catch line like that would pull people in. It did a pretty good job, but there are so many people with frustration and no outlet.

It's cool though. If you want to cuss me out anyway to let off the steam, go for it if it helps you feel better. :lol:
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

moom wrote:
bpmolder wrote:
Ha ha! Gotcha! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wait till I get my hands on you, you :lol: !!
careful of hisappetite :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Duckboy wrote:
moom wrote: Wait till I get my hands on you, you :lol: !!
careful of hisappetite :lol:
Oh, myappetite is living aloud :twisted:
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

I actually didn't like the Syd Era Pink Floyd for a while but recently some of it has been growing on me.
I especially am starting to like Piper at the Gates of Dawn. He definitely was an interesting man!
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

MikeWaters wrote:I actually didn't like the Syd Era Pink Floyd for a while but recently some of it has been growing on me.
I especially am starting to like Piper at the Gates of Dawn. He definitely was an interesting man!

yes syd can grow on you over time
his words are amazing
Phiznlil
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Phiznlil »

hehe, good topic title, got me thinking there was a Troll in the dungeon for a second!

Yes, Syd was a very rare "natural" genius. I will always love his words and his music, he truly was a crazy diamond.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Phiznlil wrote:hehe, good topic title, got me thinking there was a Troll in the dungeon for a second!

Yes, Syd was a very rare "natural" genius. I will always love his words and his music, he truly was a crazy diamond.
Yeah, I was in the mood to do some fishing that day. Got quite a few nibbles. :lol:
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Syd sounds quite a bit like Waters when he says "Won't you miss me?" on "Dark Globe"
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Syd sounds quite a bit like Waters when he says "Won't you miss me?" on "Dark Globe"
It might be the other way around. Waters didn't sing like that in '69 did he? I always thought Don't leave me now sounded alot like Syd. Particularly the "wouldn't you miss me" line from Dark globe. They both influenced each other so it doesn't really matter.

Your avatar kicks ass!