Looking for a Pink Floyd tribute

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Olli
Axe
Axe

Looking for a Pink Floyd tribute

Post by Olli »

I'm looking for a Pink Floyd tribute to recommend to a festival organiser.
He is considering Aussie PF but although I know they are a huge draw, I think there are better value options around.

I have personally seen Pink Fraud who I thought were superb although it was a small stage and the PA struggled to deliver the volume, they were nevertheless spot on 100% for three hours.

I saw Pig Floyd in the same venue and they made a few silly mistakes which spoiled it for me. I left during the interval.
I have since heard it was their first gig, so in fairness they may have come along quite a bit since then.

I am aware of Breath, and Pynk Floid and a couple of others too, but haven't seen them first hand.
Any suggestions would be welcome, and approaches from the bands themselves passed on to the appropriate person.
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Looking for a Pink Floyd tribute

Post by garygreen »

I hear that Roger Waters is available..... :lol:
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Members of Pink Floyd tribute bands browse this section of the forum all the time. I am sure they will see your request and get in touch with you. If not, just look at some of the other threads in this section and you will see posts from several of them that will provide links to contact them.

Good luck in your search! :D
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

I am from such a tribute band. drop me a line at [email protected] http://www.justfloyd.co.uk
and i'll add that the fact that just because we dont shell out fortunes booking lots of theatres doesn't mean we are inferior, but of course we are not cheap either,.... well the rest of the band are, I am the expensive one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by filthyfish on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

Hi, I PM'd you yesterday but just in case you missed it you may want to consider Darkside - check out our site and the quality venues we play. Better still, why not come and check us out? If you see a gig on our list near to you then let me know and I'll add you to the guest list. Alternatively call me - my number was in the PM.

Andy

Darkside http://www.ukdarkside.tk
OLDARNOLD
Embryo
Embryo

Post by OLDARNOLD »

Hi, this is my first visit here and I couldn't help but comment. I have seen a handful of PF tributes in my lifetime and I saw Pig Floyd last summer at a social club in Pyford and they were top class, no mistakes that I heard and I have a keen albeit ageing ear. I'm not sure when they first formed but if you haven't seen them in a while I would say they are well worth a look, the female singer was superb as was the Sax player. We had a great night. I have seen Aussie as well - the show is fantastic but I was not impressed for the money we spent. It was a good night but it was not Floyd for me.

I am actually looking for a Pink Floyd tribute to play for a friends 60th I believe the budget is £400 does anyone know of any tributes who would consider it??? Probably not. If not I think it will have to be a middle of the road covers band. Argggghhhh. It would be great to have a close personal Pink Floyd experience they all seem to be in theatres now.

Anyhow off to search more of this website - I have just learnt there are well over 30 pink floyd tributes un the UK alone - WOW!
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

OLDARNOLD wrote:Hi, this is my first visit here and I couldn't help but comment. I have seen a handful of PF tributes in my lifetime and I saw Pig Floyd last summer at a social club in Pyford and they were top class, no mistakes that I heard and I have a keen albeit ageing ear. I'm not sure when they first formed but if you haven't seen them in a while I would say they are well worth a look, the female singer was superb as was the Sax player. We had a great night. I have seen Aussie as well - the show is fantastic but I was not impressed for the money we spent. It was a good night but it was not Floyd for me.

I am actually looking for a Pink Floyd tribute to play for a friends 60th I believe the budget is £400 does anyone know of any tributes who would consider it??? Probably not. If not I think it will have to be a middle of the road covers band. Argggghhhh. It would be great to have a close personal Pink Floyd experience they all seem to be in theatres now.

Anyhow off to search more of this website - I have just learnt there are well over 30 pink floyd tributes un the UK alone - WOW!
It really Depends where you are planning it, Email me and I will be happy to discuss the options.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

As the co-ordinator, for want of a better word, of the NPF Brighton Marathon perhaps you might find a few comments from me useful, if not just tell me to shut up! ;) Ive listed the tribute bands that played in alphabetical order so theres no favouritism shown, I'll let you make your own judgements....

BREATHE http://www.breathefloyd.co.uk
Where the hell do I start??? Firstly they have such a strong passion for the music of Floyd that they are prepared to drop everything to perform it at the drop of a hat (this is how we first met!)! This is a staggering 8 piece Floyd band who have gone on to perform shows endorsed by none other than Roger Waters himself! Their show is littered with highlights that include Jills unbelievable vocal on Great Gig In The Sky (and like a true woman is much more capable of multi-tasking than us gents with a fantastic turn on sax for songs like Money, Us And Them etc). The band tend to focus on music from DSOTM onwards but are, and have proved, perfectly capable of turning in a storming Echoes and See Emily Play. Regarding the visual aspects of the show Ive only really seen them perform as a band with limited lighting but this has been due to the circumstances and venues in which Ive seen them perform, sadly I missed their theatrical performance of The Wall with a cast of 150 people which I'll still be kicking myself for on my death bed no doubt!

DARKSIDE http://www.ukdarkside.tk
Darkside have without doubt the most fascinating collection of Floyd material in their repertoire, my personal request for Wots..Uh The Deal when booking the band for the Brighton NPF show paid off in spades and for a few moments I was the happiest man alive! Very few people can do justice to a song that you love when its performed by someone other than the original artist (quite often the original artist cant even recreate that feeling) but it was at this moment that all the hard work and effort seemed worthwhile for me. Again this is a band of people that genuinely have a passion for Floyd (to the point where the odd wife has even been drawn in, not that theres anything odd about the wives of course, best clear that up now! ;) ). When deciding where to start with covering Floyd they chose what is a bizarrely unusual approach of starting at the beginning (something that may otherwise seem obvious), as a result of this the bands repertoire includes such irregular material as Lucifer Sam (check out the superb maracca playing on their studio recorded cover of this song, superb stuff, the guy was obviously a genius! ;) ), San Tropez, and the aforementioned Wots...Uh The Deal. This passion for the early material also leads them to perform numbers like Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun with the revereance and all-out spaciness that the song requires, a version that far surpasses Roger Waters' borderline heavy metal antics on his recent shows. Of course tho the ''hits'' are there too which they handle superbly and make for a very versatile band that can accomadate the tastes of any Floyd fan new or old. Visually its a no holds barred spectacle, the circular screen is present and correct and almost every inch of stage space is occupied by something that will flash, glow, rotate or just simply shine on!

US...NOT THEM http://www.usnotthem.co.uk
Please dont be put off by their comments of being ''one of the biggest'' etc. on their website which often tends to be the jargon of money fuelled tributes, this is a band with a genuine love of the music and the comment is becoming more and more justified each time they play. Their show is one driven by a love of Floyd and (I'll use that word again) passion for the songs that have inspired them to head down this crazy road! The band seems to be ever increasing and it was a year and a half ago now since I last saw them (how time flies eh chaps?) so I havent seen their recent band format with the addition of the backing vocalists but their previous performances have been superb and also unique in that they also injected a rare sense of humour scarcely associated with Floyd shows. Material-wise their show was more along the lines of that found on the Delicate Sound of Thunder live LP with a few surprises and the band have since included that evergreen epic ''Echoes'' in their set which Im determined to see them do for myself one day! As mentioned earlier, its been a long time since Ive had any experience of Us Not Them but I do urge you to check them out for yourself.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

simpledumbpilot wrote: US...NOT THEM ''Echoes'' in their set which Im determined to see them do for myself one day! As mentioned earlier, its been a long time since Ive had any experience of Us Not Them but I do urge you to check them out for yourself.
Echoes was the funniest thing I have heard for a long long time.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
greatgigger
Embryo
Embryo

Post by greatgigger »

filthyfish wrote:
simpledumbpilot wrote: US...NOT THEM ''Echoes'' in their set which Im determined to see them do for myself one day! As mentioned earlier, its been a long time since Ive had any experience of Us Not Them but I do urge you to check them out for yourself.
Echoes was the funniest thing I have heard for a long long time.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uh-Oh the handbags are out again! I thought this board was about a love for the music and not the blatant 'dissing' (can I say that, I'm 49?) of other bands....sigh.....who's turning the nursery lights out when everyone goes home????
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

greatgigger wrote:
filthyfish wrote: Echoes was the funniest thing I have heard for a long long time.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uh-Oh the handbags are out again! I thought this board was about a love for the music and not the blatant 'dissing' (can I say that, I'm 49?) of other bands....sigh.....who's turning the nursery lights out when everyone goes home????
Sadly filthyfish and his pub band take every opportunity to slate the good folks on this board and their comments that dont tie in to his being the best Floyd tribute blah blah blah, hes meerly a child and should be ignored as such. I am slightly beginning to regret not writing up a review for his pub band tho, altho I try to remain positive in my comments and a review of his pub band would not be particularly nice after the fiasco that I saw, to remain positive about them I must admit one of the guys did play some right notes occasionallly, however, Im stilll not sure if that was accident or coincidence tho. I still love you tho filthy fish, your band may be appauling but you have the guts to stand by them, and after seeing them I can appreciate that that is no mean feat! Hows the day job?
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Sadly filthyfish and his pub band take every opportunity to slate the good folks on this board and their comments that dont tie in to his being the best Floyd tribute blah blah blah, hes meerly a child and should be ignored as such. I am slightly beginning to regret not writing up a review for his pub band tho, altho I try to remain positive in my comments and a review of his pub band would not be particularly nice after the fiasco that I saw, to remain positive about them I must admit one of the guys did play some right notes occasionallly, however, Im stilll not sure if that was accident or coincidence tho. I still love you tho filthy fish, your band may be appalling but you have the guts to stand by them, and after seeing them I can appreciate that that is no mean feat! Hows the day job?
sadly you have not been keeping up on current events. Ask me why I found it funny? Then I'll comment on your ill informed post.
I dont for a second think you have seen our little pub band, and i dont really care what you think, I did explain my aggrievance with the Singer of Us not them, but my PM to you was left in my outbox for nearly a year.
Ask you buddies to stop attempting to cancel our gigs and I might be less inclined to take the piss.

So I will no longer comment on Us not Them, I will let the Music talk.

My day job is fine, thanks, not that it has any relevance, and If you need any Valves, let me know, i will price them accordingly, and take payment in the usual Norfolk currency of Tatties.
OLDARNOLD
Embryo
Embryo

Post by OLDARNOLD »

Hi thought I would come back and say thank you for all your offers. I was getting a bit ahead of myself as the dear wifey overtook events and we had a delightful evening of mustang sally, eminiem 'sp', johnny be good etc. I couldn't help thinking that when dancing queen was being sung I could have been listening Dark Side Of The Moon. Needless to say too many brandys left me comfortably numb.

It is a shame to see all these petty jibes though. You guys are surely all in it for the love of Floyd so why not be more complimentary to one another.

Anyway you never know enough hints and I might get a performance of my own yet.

Good luck with all your future endeavours.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

OLDARNOLD wrote: It is a shame to see all these petty jibes though. You guys are surely all in it for the love of Floyd so why not be more complimentary to one another.
I am afraid that some people are just plain rude and cant help themselves. Yes Most of us are in it for the music, I certainly am, but I am also concerned in the current "tribute band Flooded" market, that the product isn't diluted by second class acts. Of which there are a few, those are quite easy to spot though, because this makes it more difficult for the rest. Compliments where compliments are due, not for some blind group interest.
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife

Post by mandy35353535353 »

Wish You Were Here!
From Cleveland.
I <3 them. A lot.
And they are really nice and hilarious.

http://www.floydtribute.com/