Judge!
Judge!

Warren Zevon Has Untreatable Cancer

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I don't wish that on my worst enemy. His cancer must be pretty far along if it's untretable; I'm surprised he still has a sense of humor.

Post by Guest »

what a sad thing

Warren Zevon, WE'RE THINKIN ABOUT YOU MAN
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

:cry: So has anyone heard anything new on this. I had heard he wasn't going to make it beyound the end of last year. Also any news on the album he's trying to complete?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

He's still alive, but I do not know his condition...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I know this always happens, but who's Warren Zevon?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

A musician and songwriter who was popular in the late '70s and some of the '80s.

He wrote "Werewolves of London."
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Maybe we ought to make an e-card have everybody sigh it and send it to him?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Don't know the guy, really, but that sounds sweet. :)
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

[quote="David Smith"]I know this always happens, but who's Warren Zevon?[/quote] Even little kids should know who Warren is.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Well excuse me for being British! Scotish at that, we don't exactly embrace other cultures. occasionally give them a glasgow kiss though (all scots should get that joke, and wait, i'm the only scot here.)

what sort of stuff has he done?
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

im 16 and have lived in the US my whole life and dont know one thing about warren zevon
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

One of the most acute and savagely satiric songwriters of his era, Warren Zevon was born in Chicago on January 24, 1947. His formative years were as colorful as the scenarios played out in his music: his father was a professional gambler, a lifestyle which forced the family to move frequently, and Zevon spent most of his formative years in California and Arizona. He learned to play piano, focusing primarily on classical material before a disintegrating home life led him into pop music, as well as a few run-ins with the law; after his parents divorced when he was 16 years old, Zevon hopped into the Corvette his father won in a card game and headed for New York to become a folksinger. His music found little response, however, and he returned to California, eventually releasing his first recordings as part of the duo Lyme and Cybelle. Session work followed before Zevon issued his solo debut Wanted—Dead or Alive in 1969; the LP received a poor reception, and so he returned to session work and composing advertising jingles, and also served as the Everly Brothers' pianist before the duo's break-up. Following a 1974 sabbatical to Spain, Zevon returned to Los Angeles, where his longtime friend Jackson Browne had secured him a recording deal; with Browne in the producer's seat, Zevon cut a self-titled offering which was met with lavish critical praise upon its 1976 release. His 1978 follow-up Excitable Boy established him as a wholly unique talent, and earned a sizable hit with its wry single "Werewolves of London."

However, Zevon had fallen prey to alcoholism, and his personal demons sidelined him for the next two years; 1980's Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School and 1981's live set Stand in the Fire marked his gradual return to form, and the promise of his early work was restored on 1982's brilliant release The Envoy. The album fared miserably on the charts, however, and Zevon again fell off the wagon. A long period of therapy and counseling followed before, newly sober and revitalized, he issued Sentimental Hygiene in 1987, recorded with backing assistance from members of R.E.M. (In 1990, another collection of material from the sessions featuring Zevon and R.E.M.'s Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Bill Berry was released under the name Hindu Love Gods.) He continued his comeback in 1989 with Transverse City, a concept record inspired by science fiction's cyberpunk movement, and 1991's Mr. Bad Example. In 1993, Zevon issued his second live album, Learning to Flinch, followed in 1995 by Mutineer. His next studio effort, Life'll Kill Ya, did not appear until early 2000. It was a moderate success, enough to inspire him to step back into the studio after touring the US. My Ride's Here, which featured a guest appearance from David Letterman of all people, was released in the spring of 2002. — Jason Ankeny

princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I feel dumb right now I don't know who he is?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I probably didn't know who he was at your age :lol:

Warren's final album, "The Wind," is coming out on Aug. 26.

Among the guest artists who contributed to the album:

Bruce Springsteen; Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit of the Eagles; Tom Petty; Jackson Browne; Emmylou Harris; Dwight Yoakam; Billy Bob Thornton; Ry Cooder; and T-Bone Burnett, according to Artemis Records.