You Got It Now

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

You Got It Now

Post by zag »

Hi again, folks

Syd Barrett - You Got It Now boot (includes "complete" 1974 Sessions) are out there,
look from a familiar place, you´ll got it too.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: You Got It Now

Post by Damn!t »

Where zaggy, :smt009 WHERE?!?
:lol:
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

You got it ? Yeeesh !
:lol:
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

ooo, that's a nice one. good tip, zag. :D

edit-
i'm listening to it right now. it's a keeper, kids. complete '74 EMI session. nice!
\:D/ :smt020
robertcrosbie
Axe
Axe

Post by robertcrosbie »

I heard it, its not great. Just some guitar noodling really. No vocals at all. OK, its an interesting historical document but its just not very interesting to listening to.

It includes a new mix of "She Took A Long Cold Look" which was quite nice.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

robertcrosbie wrote:Just some guitar noodling really....its just not very interesting to listening to.
There. You've got it allright. Thats what Syd's all about.... :lol:

I mean these are some rehearsal, demo stuff of a crazy man. What did you expect?
However, it is a great document for the collection.
Not like I'm gonna have that in my player all day.
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

Anything that we didn't have before?
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

Post by theshockofthenew »

mhspiper wrote:Anything that we didn't have before?
No, but the sound is soooooo much better. The CBC interview in particular sounds crystal clear. It certainly is worth having for the sound quality alone. Those responsible for not only putting these volumes together, but also cleaning up the sound, should be applauded for their efforts.
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

I'm going to have to have this also.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

anybody know why they did that CBC interview?
I gather it was before even Arnold Layne so it was foreign media covering a band noone had heard of yet
Ive never heard of any trips to Canada so either it was a long distance phone call or the interviewer traveled to London
was it part of some larger program about the scene in London at the time?

(btw I think we're mixing up two recent Syd boots: Have You Got It Yet rev 2.0 has the CBC interview and other SydsFloyd rarities, You Got It Now is the abandoned 1974 session, and there is a few minutes more than I'd heard before)
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

J Ed wrote:anybody know why they did that CBC interview?
I gather it was before even Arnold Layne so it was foreign media covering a band noone had heard of yet
Ive never heard of any trips to Canada so either it was a long distance phone call or the interviewer traveled to London
was it part of some larger program about the scene in London at the time?

(btw I think we're mixing up two recent Syd boots: Have You Got It Yet rev 2.0 has the CBC interview and other SydsFloyd rarities, You Got It Now is the abandoned 1974 session, and there is a few minutes more than I'd heard before)
Ah yes, you're right! I think I was the one that got the two mixed-up - sorry about that! HYGIY V2.0 Volume 1 is a completely different beast than the '74 sessions which I haven't had a chance to hear yet, but from what others have said, there isn't any new material on it if you've already heard the tracks that have circulated for years.

The CBC Radio interview was conducted in London around December '66 and I believe it was a programme or a series of programmes devoted to the emerging London arts and music scene with the Floyd (the segment of interview with their management is traditionally omitted on most compilations) being interviewed (as well as playing IO) as part of the new London Underground music movement.
Not sure why they did that interview, but my guess is that it was a chance at some international exposure (or just exposure in general) for an unsigned band. That's all I know. Perhaps others have more info to share.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

it makes sense that a new band would want exposure
what I couldnt figure is why the CBC would be interested,
but if the main topic was the hip underground London scene then the Floyd would be a part of that
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

Well, the CBC has always had a reputation for exploring issues that other news agencies can't be bothered with (the infamous interview with Muhammad Ali just after he refused to go to Vietnam is one example of that), so it doesn't surprise me that they would be interested. Besides, as Canada has a linked history with the British Empire, it makes sense that most Canadians would be interested in the "happenings" in London, especially at that time. Actually, I don't think it was that they were interested in Floyd so much as they were interested in a mouthpiece for the youth movement going on over there at the time.