are there going to be any NPF tribute shows?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
black bobble
Knife
Knife

are there going to be any NPF tribute shows?

Post by black bobble »

are there going to be any NPF tribute shows this year?

Does anyone know? Does anyone care?
mosespa

Re: are there going to be any NPF tribute shows?

Post by mosespa »

black bobble wrote:1. are there going to be any NPF tribute shows this year?

2. Does anyone know?

3. Does anyone care?
1. No, there aren't. This is because Gilmour's (balding and cuckolded) management team have forbidden NPF to participate in "unauthorized duplication and/or distribution of unauthorized reproductions of copyrighted material" and if NPF were to endorse even a live tribute show, it would violate the forced compliance with the paranoid corporate-minded assholes who rule this stuff.

2. I know this to be a fact.

3. Yes, I care...I think it's total bullshit.

Gilmour AND his balding/cuckolded management team should be extremely GRATEFUL that we're willing to help promote their "product" (even if only in our very own, special way,) WITHOUT demanding compensation in return.

But they don't see it like that.

*shrug*
rememberthatnight
Knife
Knife

Post by rememberthatnight »

mosespa wrote:
black bobble wrote:1. are there going to be any NPF tribute shows this year?

2. Does anyone know?

3. Does anyone care?
1. No, there aren't. This is because Gilmour's (balding and cuckolded) management team have forbidden NPF to participate in "unauthorized duplication and/or distribution of unauthorized reproductions of copyrighted material" and if NPF were to endorse even a live tribute show, it would violate the forced compliance with the paranoid corporate-minded assholes who rule this stuff.

2. I know this to be a fact.

3. Yes, I care...I think it's total bullshit.

Gilmour AND his balding/cuckolded management team should be extremely GRATEFUL that we're willing to help promote their "product" (even if only in our very own, special way,) WITHOUT demanding compensation in return.

But they don't see it like that.

*shrug*

FAT CAT LAWYERS :smt013
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

theres gigs a plenty in the tribute band world, fuck the lawyers, come and get me. If David wants to moan, i'll drop his kids off the top of Harrys next time I see him 8) (albeit nothing to do with this site)
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Yeah, there are plenty of good tribute bands out there that you can check out without them having to be in a show per se. In fact, one good band can be a show all in itself that will go for hours.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

So long as the performance rights are paid there is no problem playing cover songs!
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

Keith Jordan wrote:So long as the performance rights are paid there is no problem playing cover songs!
And that is covered by the PRS licence, If the venue doesn't have one, dont play there. We even have to pay a fee to have our own performances on our own website! Suits!
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

filthyfish wrote:We even have to pay a fee to have our own performances on our own website! Suits!
Well you guys are fantastic. If anyone should be able to have the fees waved, it's you.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

If someone was to record an album of PF covers, and the songwriting royalties were to be paid, how much would this cost per disk? Particularly if the disk had few really long songs such as "Echoes" on it.

Looking at the page:

http://www.songrights.com/income_frame.htm
The current statutory rate for mechanical royalties is 9.1 cents per song per record for recordings of up to 5 minutes in length. For recordings over 5 minutes in length, the rate is 1.75 cents per minute, or portion thereof. The statutory mechanical rate is subject to change, and should be checked before any project. So far, it has only gone up, so it is beneficial to the song's copyright holder to negotiate a provision that the rate will be calculated as late as possible, i.e., the date of a commercial release, rather than the date of a contract.
Assume that a PF tribute album has eight songs, being:

4 minutes
6 minutes
4 minutes
2 minutes (Seamus anyone?)
8 minutes
12 minutes
25 minutes

The amount to be paid would be:

116.55cents, or $1.16.55. Not a great deal. If the CDs were being sold "at cost", the cost of the disk and postage would be more. I think.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

Its different in pretty much every country.
bpmolder wrote:
filthyfish wrote:We even have to pay a fee to have our own performances on our own website! Suits!
Well you guys are fantastic. If anyone should be able to have the fees waved, it's you.
Thanks very much, very kind.
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

so that means there could be NPF tribute shows!!! or am I getting confused?
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

Personally, I don't know, but the last one, from what I hear was a little bit of a fiasco, and several of the bands that had organised their shows were dropped at the last minute, So I doubt there would be much enthusiasm for it.
There is a little Tribute bordom going on at the moment, I think the bubble may have burst on all us Tribute bands, which is a good thing for music on the whole, as it means the focus on new bands has shifted back to original music.
Having said that we have had pretty full houses on the last few gigs, so perhaps i am talking shite!! as usual.
Floyd Factor
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Floyd Factor »

I am appalled to read that DG's attorney's have chosen to rack up some billable charges by threatening NPF over their participation in any event that happens to directly promote the catalog sales and contemporary popularity (ie: residuals) of their client. Events that take place every week all over the world, in the case of a tribute band concert, whether NPF promotes them or not.

Most established (ie: old) artists are savvy enough to recognize that tribute bands serve a positive role in their businesses, and instruct their copywright/publishing lawyers to back off most infringement. But a few are different... And I can certainly understand why they would stop an act like Aussie Floyd from using certain things, when they're selling thousands of $50 tickets every night, all over the world.

But to pick on NPF!!??!... One of only a few sites that do what Pink Floyd & their record lable have NEVER done - give the fans a decent & active online community!! For merely associating with the tribute bands, and/or making any profit from events they are associated with? It is an affront to every passionate PF fan, and particularly NPF'ers. They should be ashamed, as should David Gilmour. The tribute bands have helped keep his music, his legacay, and his radio royalties alive while he and his aging cronies loll about and get around to working every few years or so (for a short tour and a quick record, to be spun off for years as DVD's and live albums). They don't play secondary markets - we do. They don't work with local radio & venues - we do. They don't keep Pink Floyd's brand in front of the general public anymore - we do. And most don't profit from it in the end, either.

I realize that to dispariage DG here is somewhat dodgy - he may have no awareness at all of how his attorney's have acted in this particular matter (with NPF). But the bottom line is you have to be responsible, and when you put restrictions like this on an ally, out of nothing but greed & precedent, you are crapping where you eat. It's very shortsighted, to say the least.

The NPF Floyd Fests will be missed... needlessly.

"Don't help them to bury the light,..."

Steve B. / Floyd Factor, Toronto http://www.floydfactor.com

"Tell me, is something eluding you Sunshine?..."
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

well I think it's a shame - what I liked about the tribute nights - (I'm biased having performed) is that us amateur enthusisasts performed with the big boys to give more than just a typical tribute band night. I just so happen to have an ex neighbour who went to see the Brighton show - I hadn't met him for a while and just happened to be there because he liked Floyd and met up with mates in Brighton (not a mad fan like us here) and he loved the marathon. So maybe someone should get in touch with Stuart - as he encapsulated the amateur enthusiasm, with an ability to get everybody together.

If not I think, if not I think it's a shame. Since DG's management stopping downloads the forum has lost a little identity and this would be a great way of getting it back.

anyway this is just a rambling of someone who is very pissed so tomorrow I will probably regret it
EveSP
Embryo
Embryo

Post by EveSP »

I went to the Brighton one (first time) and loved it! Couldn't make the one last year, but it would be a real shame if they are no longer held. :(