I'm thinking of remaking Double Core...

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
mosespa

I'm thinking of remaking Double Core...

Post by mosespa »

...do any of the original participants have a problem with that?

NOTE: if you are not an original participant, your opinion doesn't amount to beans...sorry. :D

If you ARE an original participant, all you have to do is say "no" and I will write an original song to replace yours.

It's not a "power struggle"...merely the seizing of an opportunity.

All original participants will receive an equal share of any monies derived from the remake...IF your original songs (though remade) are used.

Are there any objections?
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Re: I'm thinking of remaking Double Core...

Post by cwta eugene »

Please elaborate a bit more. What are you planning to do exactly?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Do you mean you intend to record all the songs over again yourself, or that you'd like the original participants to re-record their songs?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Ideally I'd like everyone who was involved in the first place back on board.

I'm primarily interested in redoing my own songs because I still cringe when I get to Come And See (the piano sound has never satisfied me,) and I don't want to do that.

I know that No Heaven And No Hell and Magnolia were recorded properly in professional studios, so I don't really see any reason to redo those...but if anyone else wants to (for whatever reason) take another stab at their songs, here's your chance. If there's anyone who'd rather not, I can either have my friend spruce up their original recording or redo it entirely (if they don't mind) or write a completely different song with the same title.

But, as I said before, I'd really rather have all of the original participants on board, if possible.

I apologize the lack of clarity of the initial post...I was REALLY drunk when I put it up. :lol: :lol:

Here's exactly what I'm planning to do: I'm purchasing a Tascam digital 16 track workstation plus I have a friend with a studio who's offered me free reign of it. I'm going to be using these resources to redo Come And See and Stars.

The reason for doing this?

I'd like to give Double Core a "release" into my local region. As I've mentioned before, I work in two different restaurants, so I see a lot of people in the course of an average day. Frequently, the subject of what I do when I'm not working comes up. When I tell people I'm a musician, they ask what kind of music I do...I talk about that a bit and I always finish up by saying "and I was involved in this project that imagined what the next Pink Floyd album might sound like since they're not about to make it themselves."

Oddly enough, that really gets their attention. I've got some people who'd like to hear it, might even be willing to pay for it...and I can put it in the music stores around here so that people can pick it up with ease. I've got a friend who works at a print shop and we're already running through some ideas on how to put the book together inexpensively, but still have it look good.

As I've said, any money that gets made from this will be evenly distributed amongst the original participants. I'm not trying to rip anyone off, here. :D
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Do whatever you like to my track. I don't have a multitrack to send you as it was recorded on a cassette poratstudio and I don't have have any digital multitrack software on my computer. Add some other stuff to it, edit it...go nuts, man :D
Last edited by 2066 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Wouldn't dream of changing it myself. :D

Last night, I pulled out all the discs that everyone sent me of their contributions. I really don't think anyone else will NEED to redo their track (although one person and I are talking right now about their contribution and what else they'd like to see done with it,)...I just didn't want to redo Come And See and have someone go "Hey...he redid his track and didn't let everyone else know so that we could if we wanted to."

Not that I necessarily think anyone would have done that...but I have to look at all possibilities before I act...it's just how I work. :D

So...if anyone WANTS to redo their track, you now have the opportunity. If you DON'T want to, I still have the discs everyone has sent and can just take the track from there.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

We've been talking about redoing Silent Victory, or at least redoing parts of it. I was never overly happy with parts of the original and think it could be done better. I'll let you know if this progresses.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Cant you just record something else for another project? Double Core has already happened?? :)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It HAS already happened...but I still feel that Come And See is a seriously flawed recording and I'd like to fix that.

Besides, I'm not creative enough to come up with something new right now. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though; the whole reason I'm doing this is to ready it for hard copy (and free, in keeping with the original spirit) distribution in my local area...and I didn't want to risk a copy of it somehow getting to someone who has the original release and pointing out that I had redone one of my songs and didn't give anyone else who might have wanted to the same chance to redo their song.

I'm not paranoid much...really. :D

Besides...Square One hasn't been released yet. I don't want to steal it's thunder.

I am kicking around some thoughts on what the next project could be, though. It's too soon to share...but given that we seem to have something going on here, I've little doubt that Square One will be followed by another project...and another...and another.

We seem to be growing our own little music scene here. I like that. :D
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Now that you've got everything cracking and are ready to record, you could always join us on the Charybdis project. It might not be what you have in mind particularly at this time but it might help you get those creative juices flowing. Inspiration can often be drawn from the most unexpected places.

Re-recording Double Core would be a capital idea, as there is so much that can be derived from it, but it might be more of an undertaking than meets the eye. I'd hate to see you spend months working on it and end up not feeling like you have captured the same magic.

Just my two pence. :smt116

EDIT: I do love Come And See and think it would be worth it for you to redo it anyway, because it will be something that you can not only feel more accomplished with but also be able to use at any given date. It's not like it has a shelf life. You can put it away until a later date or if nothing else, make it available on the Keychain Logic page.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

EDITED BY ADMIN - Please stay on topic else you will be receiving warnings.
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

Hi Sean.Nice to hear from you again. If you're planning to do something new with Double Core then please feel free to use Magnolia. We've been playing it at lot at shows since DC came out and it always seems to go down well.In fact, I'm not sure that we've done a show in the last two years when we haven't played it, including our show in Nottingham tonight that I've just got back from and last year's NPF tribute show in Frome with Breathe! The full five piece band plan to record a different version of Magnolia at some point but for now please use the one you have ( or BP Molder's remix) and best of luck with it all. I think DC is a top album and deserves to be heard by lots more people! Cheers. Neil and The Amber Herd x
Last edited by Neil1567/2 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

bpmolder wrote:Now that you've got everything cracking and are ready to record, you could always join us on the Charybdis project. It might not be what you have in mind particularly at this time but it might help you get those creative juices flowing. Inspiration can often be drawn from the most unexpected places.
I'm not quite ready, yet. The Tascam is still on layaway...which is why I'm not setting any sort of deadline just yet. I don't really know when I'll begin work as I have a few other things to knock in the head quickly first.

I'm not quite sure how far along the Charybdis project is...so I don't know for certain if I'd have the stuff in time to really do anything of consequence. I may just wait for the next project.

Thanks for the invite, though. :D

And for the kind words about Come And See. I'm really looking forward to making a recording of it that won't have me worrying whether or not it's actually damaging someone's ears when they listen to it, lol. I once did an early mix of it that was literally painful to listen to.

Oddly enough, it didn't seem to bother my roomate at the time...*shrug*
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

mosespa wrote:And for the kind words about Come And See. I'm really looking forward to making a recording of it that won't have me worrying whether or not it's actually damaging someone's ears when they listen to it, lol. I once did an early mix of it that was literally painful to listen to.

Oddly enough, it didn't seem to bother my roomate at the time...*shrug*
He was probably listening to it through beer muffs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

:lol: :lol:

We only lived half a block (if even that far) from a bar. That's quite possible.

All I know is that I actually expected my ears to start bleeding if he didn't hit the stop button (he had the remote at the time...it's a guy thing.) He wouldn't hit the stop button...he said it sounded totally fine to him.

I could almost see the air being sliced by the frequencies I had over-attenuated (to put it mildly.)