poor man's whiskey - dark side of the moonshine

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

poor man's whiskey - dark side of the moonshine

Post by davidjay »

i just had the pleasure of seeing a band by the name of "poor man's whiskey" doing a set entitled "dark side of the moonshine". they were really very good. they played last night on my station's stage at the westbeach music festival that's happening this weekend here in santa barbara.

they're a country/bluegrass band that does a really fantatic take on dsotm. mandolin, banjo, fiddle, the whole bit. it's great. they're obviously big fans of the floyd and have a great sence of fun about them. some of the most amusing bits were their recreations of the album's taped dialogue clips. the various members of the band recited well memorized lines to great effect.

another thing that some purists might cry "foul" about is their version of "money". or should i say, "whiskey". they quite effectively changed rogers lyrics to put their own spin on things. "money, it's a gas..." becomes, "whislkey, it's a sin..." it's all very well done.

oh, did i mention that they're all dressed up as character's from "the wizard of oz"? yeah, that too.

unfortunately, i didn't know that they were playing until i got to the venue. if i had known about them before hand, i would certainly have arranged to tape the set so that i could share. too bad. as it turns out, there was a videographer there and he recorded three songs. i spoke to him and he says that he'll send me a copy of what he got. we'll see...

in the meantime, here are a couple of badly snapped pics from my phone. you can't really seem the band very well, but i mostly just want you to notice our call letters on the front of the stage. thankyouverymuch.

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: poor man's whiskey - dark side of the moonshine

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am not sure I can imagine DSotM played in a country style!! Bet it was really good. :D
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

There is a long, healthy history of bands covering Pink Floyd material; sure I have misgivings about a bluegrass version - but then I was unsure about the dub reggae version of DSotM until I heard it.

Equally, there is room for more conventional versions of classic Floyd such as those by Les Claypool's Frog Brigade and Dream Theater as well as 'copies' by tribute bands

Long may they all continue
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

i just looked on youtube and found a number of videos posted for "dark side of the moonshine". i recommend you all check them out!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... &aq=-1&oq=
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

There's a bluegrass tribute album available called Pickin' On Pink Floyd...all blue grass versions, quite well done, IMO...it has these songs done in instrumental acoustic bluegrass style:

See Emily Play
Money
Astronomy Domine
Julia Dream
Another Brick in the Wall
Run Like Hell
Wish You Were Hear
Breathe
Lucifer Sam
Comfortable Numb
Time
Goodbye Blue Sky
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Dont forget Luther Wright and The Wrongs quite brilliant Rebuild The Wall, even if its just simply for the hilarious reinterpretation of Goodbye Blue Sky.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That's who I was thinking of!! Thanks Stu! I must listen to them at once.... :shock: :D
Blade
Blade

Post by 0010 »

I do like Luther Wright's album much better than the other bluegrass tribute album. I mean come on, "Are there any deer in the audience tonight?" That is great!