Remember a Day...Your Richard Wright Memories

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Remember a Day...Your Richard Wright Memories

Post by Massed Gadgets »

This is not a thread for condolences or tributes or the like, there is already a thread for that. This is just a thread to share personal memories or stories that somehow involve Richard and his music, whether it be moments you associate with his music or memories of seeing him playing live. I'll start...

My dad grew up before rock n' roll, so he never really 'got' rock music...of course, as a teenager, that didn't stop me from trying to find something he liked...I'd played him lots of things, and he didn't enjoy them that much...until one day I played "Us and Them" for him...He said, "Beautiful sax and wonderful piano...now that I like!" Richard Wright bridges the generation gap!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Remember a Day...Your Richard Wright Memories

Post by moom »

Massed Gadgets wrote:This is not a thread for condolences or tributes or the like, there is already a thread for that. This is just a thread to share personal memories or stories that somehow involve Richard and his music, whether it be moments you associate with his music or memories of seeing him playing live. I'll start...
That thread got locked. And I'm so in shock, I just learned..........................................

I can not believe or accept. please do not try to change that... it'll just take me a while.

I'll be back tomorrow when I'm better, I'm not only sad now, but also tired...
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Massed Gadgets wrote: "Us and Them"
That was the first song on which my missus and me danced to... strange as it may sound...
That song was Rick from top to bottom.
Gentle chord poetry. So silent yet so loud.
Last edited by Damn!t on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I liked Rick because you knew he had a lot of tallent, but he didn't smear it in your face like Emerson or Wakeman, and understood that getting a good sound out of 2 keyboards was better than playing 15 of them.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

:shock:

:(

Thanx for the tunes Richard!

I was looking forward to your instrumental album.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Everybody will know the following soundfragment. just look and listen to the third Solo. The first is from David, then you got Snowy and THEN

Rick on the hammond. You know that bit from the IN THE FLESH-CD.

Thanks Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3aIQyL9Mh0
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I remember going to KMART and purchasing Relics on cassette tape. I mostly bought it just because of the strange Mayan Bottle-Opener on the front cover. I had only heard fragments of The Wall and pieces of DSOTM up to that point and it's strange that I didn't purchase some of the better-known albums like WYWH or Animals at that point. I knew none of the songs on there, but I took out the album and instead of being re-wound to start on side one, it was re-wound to start on side two, something I had never experienced with a new cassette tape. The first song on side two was Cyrus Minor and I have a clear memory of laying in my basement room with the air coming through my window and just taking in that strange organ sound. This was at a time in my life when I was going through a huge transitional phase. My brother, actually my half brother, and I are best friends. He left for two years on an LDS mission to the Phillipines. I was missing him alot but filled that void with some other friends I had. Those friends weren't much in the way of friends I came to find out. They used to smoke inside my car outside the school so they wouldn't get caught by the truency officer, which was fine, but one day they found my spare key, took off in it and crashed into a lady. Then they walked away from the crash scene and laid all the blame on me. It was a real difficult time trying to cope with my brother being away and my friends deserting me. Lying inside my room, listening to music, was a big part of my coping mechanism at the time and Rick really played a huge part in helping me get through it.
johnjohnstone
Knife
Knife

Post by johnjohnstone »

I was lucky enough to get a row 4 seat at David Gilmour's OAI Albert Hall gig, and was right in front of Rick Wright. You could see that he was really enjoying himself playing with the band, and when it came to Echoes, he really rocked out. It was a sublime moment, and he fully deserved (although appeared slightly embarrassed by) the standing ovation that he received when he was introduced to the crowd.

Thanks for the memories Richard, RIP
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

i remember most when we and David Gilmour all sang Happy Birthday to him at the Munich 2006 gig. Such a nice moment and he looked so happy :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

moom wrote:
That thread got locked.
No, it's open... my bad...

Anyway... my best memories of Rick always include his voice, always meaningful, gentle... his smile, shy and cute... and his music, which he can't play anymore coz his fingers are turning to just bones...

Right now I suddenly saw a copy of The Division Bell in front of me. It starts with Rick's piece. It shows just what a composer Rick was. No matter who ruled in the band - Syd, Roger, or David (we'll omit the fact itself that in late 60s Rick was one of the main composers) - it was.. well, almost always was Rick behind the keys. That jazzy and classical guy, ready to experiment. The soul throughout his life - when Syd was around and then wanished... when Roger kicked him out of the band, yet Rick went on with the tour, & even though he turned to be more profitable, I guess Rick could have felt betrayed... drugs... age... cancer... Not exactly a fun scene. But he kept going on, doing his best. And with that he gives me inspiration. HE was inspiration.

And that is my deepest, best memory of him.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

One of the first albums i bought was Saucerful. Remember A Day gave me a strange feel of nostalgia like i had heard it before, i doubt i ever had but it really got me more into Pink Floyd and music itself.