thoughts on the DSoTM DVD?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
floydman
Embryo
Embryo

thoughts on the DSoTM DVD?

Post by floydman »

Just got the DSoTM DVD. I liked it. The parts when Alan Parsons and Dave sit at the mixing board and bring in and out the reverb and echo. etc. was pretty cool. I was aondering what everyone who got it, thought of it.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Good stuff...
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I wished we could of watched Nick drum a bit, everyone else got to play! :), Ricks piano work was beautiful, you could tell everyone envolved had were very found of those times. I almost teared up when Dave said, "I would of loved to of been a person, who could sit back with his head phones on, and listen to that, all the way through for the frist time, I mean I never had that experience, but ah would of been nice" :cry: Thats how I listened to it for the first time, with headphones on, sitting back. When the voices came in I was like... what the heck!, i paused it and looked around. The mixing parts was really interesting. Roger's Money acustic was a bit... well I know he's never the one to sing on the higher range, but I'll give him an A for effort ;). And I liked how the entercut the acustics with the real songs, well done. I'm thinking the reason why they didnt include the full music videos uncut, is because they are planning on an anthology! :) Hopefully, cuz good lord knows mine I'm working on is just the tip of the iceberg. I also enjoyed the early clips from Careful with that Axe, and all the bonus stuff! It was definetly worth it! :) I was wondering why they didnt stick with the stained glass theme for the cover of the DVD, the DVD itself is, atleast the ones in the US. Very good watch! Even though I know the 'behind the scenes' of the making of Dark Side that they used were just staged for the Pompeii video, I Cant wait for Pompeii----Oh yeah did that freaky Stephen King looking guy from rolling stone freak anyone else out a bit? :lol: Also, I wish Alan Parsons (who kinda looks like Tim Curry now to me) could do a remix, he seems to know whats going on, even if he didnt want the guitars compressed! :) Amazing that synth still works! And Liza Strike (one of the back up singers) is hot! ;)

I liked Rogers quote at the end:
"But thats not to say, that the potential for the sun to shine doesnt exsist. You know, walk down the path towards the light, rather than walk in the darkness"
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Meddler wrote:I wished we could of watched Nick drum a bit, everyone else got to play! :)
I agree. Sort of wish the makers of the show talked to him a bit more.
Meddler wrote:Ricks piano work was beautiful, you could tell everyone envolved had were very found of those times.
I found the parts where they interviewed Rick slightly dull. Perhaps I would feel differently if I were a musician because then maybe all that talk about chord progression would mean more to me, but it would be like if I was describing my paintings as "I started out with it mostly blue, and then I poured some purple over that..." I mean...boring! I guess I'm more of one who wants to know more about other things involved in the making of the music, the person's life and feelings, perhaps nothing even having to do with music itself. Probably why I found Waters' interviews more interesting because he went beyond just talking about the notes and chords.

My husband cracked up when Rick said (in reference to Roger) "he had things to say."
Meddler wrote:Roger's Money acustic was a bit... well I know he's never the one to sing on the higher range, but I'll give him an A for effort ;). And I liked how the entercut the acustics with the real songs, well done.
I really liked the demo of Time. I've never heard that before, and was amused at one of the early lyrics that didn't make the final cut was something about "grass in my brain"--I'll have to watch it again this time with subtitles to get it all. It would be great if those demo tapes were made avaialbe sometime, somehow. I'm really glad Roger explained "Brain Damage" about not being able to go on the grass, literally, in one spot in Cambridge. It all makes sense now, it's so simple, yet what a powerful metaphor.
Meddler wrote:I'm thinking the reason why they didnt include the full music videos uncut, is because they are planning on an anthology! :)
Let's hope!
Meddler wrote:Oh yeah did that freaky Stephen King looking guy from rolling stone freak anyone else out a bit?
David Fricke? No, not at all. I've seen/heard him interviewed before and he's very articulate and well spoken and insightful about music. I see what you mean about the Stephen King resemblence, but he's much more normal looking than King.

Storm Thorgeson is sort of....odd to watch though...anyone else agree? Slightly poofy? (not that there's anything wrong with that)
Meddler wrote:I liked Rogers quote at the end:
"But thats not to say, that the potential for the sun to shine doesnt exsist. You know, walk down the path towards the light, rather than walk in the darkness"
:)
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

I loved it. But i love those documentaries anyway. Very interesting stuff from David and Roger and the others. But now i wonder if they really have a complete darkside concert from 72 or 73 on video or if the footage on the dvd is all there is.
A DVD like this about the Wall would also be very nice....
bmet
Knife
Knife

As for Nick (and other comments)

Post by bmet »

I remember The "Machine Head - Classic Albums Show" - Drummer Ian Paice was sitting beside Ian Gillan in the show.(In most of these shows-all the band members appear to be in separate locations)....What I'm saying is that perhaps drummers don't have much to say about their technique or how they fashioned that beat or rythmn.Most of the other band members might tend to comment about the drummer's work in these shows.Nick was there at times to describe certain memories and opinions...but I agree,he wasn't in it alot.
For this kind of album,I think the songwriters,soloists,and producers flourish.
As for the program...(Pros)There is a heck of alot more goodies in this show than any other Classic Albums shows I've seen so far.I love the loop tape
for Money,Love the photographs of the voiceover people.I've seen most of the concert footage,albeit 15th generation quality,so it's wonderful to see that pristine footage exists (Zeppelin DVD-type release :wink: ).
The only piece of footage not recognisable is the 8-10 sec B&W shot of
Dave during the Time segment (19 Minutes in).It look to be in the DSOTM era.So there must be alot of archive footage somewhere .(Zeppelin DVD-type release :wink: )
The only (Con) is one that appears to be the style of the Classic Album series,and that is the quick edits that have everyone finishing everyone's
sentences.The quick cutting from one person to the other can get obtrusive sometime.
But all in all,I give it 9/10.....(Zeppelin DVD-type release :wink: )
Last edited by bmet on Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Re: As for Nick (and other comments)

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

bmet wrote:(Zeppelin DVD-type release :wink: )
It's Subliminal Hint-Man! :lol:
floydman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by floydman »

Does anybody really know if there is any live video of Floyd doing DSoTM? Besides Pulse, I mean with Waters, back in the 70's. I've seen the Wall live on VHS and DVD, but never DSoTM.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Post by bmet »

Floydman wrote:
Does anybody really know if there is any live video of Floyd doing DSoTM? Besides Pulse, I mean with Waters, back in the 70's. I've seen the Wall live on VHS and DVD, but never DSoTM.
That is a question we've been asking for a long time!! Certainly,there's
ample stuff from 1967-1972 and they filmed The Wall at Earl's Court
in 1980.But the big hole is 1973-1977, when they were active and producing some of their best work.Even some behind the scenes stuff
from that time would be good.This was an old topic of mine from the Spring .I believe it was called "A Dream:What I'd like to see for sale
on HMV.com" :)
A Dream:What I'd like to see for sale at HMV.com

Artist:Pink Floyd Format: DVD

2 Items SUDDENLY found

1. Pink Floyd -Dark Side of the Moon:The Performance

Recorded in the intimate setting of the Rainbow Theatre in late 1974
The entire performance of the classic Pink Floyd album.A Multi-
Camera set-up and 5.1 Dolby DTS Sound.The full glorious spectacle
includes original film footage shown on the circular back projected
screen (which was recently added their show at the time).A must
for Floyd Fans.

2.Pink Floyd - Animals tour America

Recorded at Oakland Colisseum in May 1977.The show features music
from the bands more recent album "Animals" plus a full performance
of the bands 1975 classic album "Wish You Were Here".Originally
broadcasted as a simulcast across America,It is available for the first
time on DVD in 5.1 Dolby DTS.The concert also featured the final
performance of the Floyd classic "Careful with that Axe,Eugene".

I would embelish a little better if I had time.(I'm heading to work)!

This is probably more a commentary than a topic.
But I'd love to hear any opinions & perhaps some other ficticious
Floyd Product you would loved to have seen!

Would've,Could've,SHOULD'VE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Heavy Sigh!!!) bmet
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I think it's a pretty cool DVD. I found Rick quite boring throughout the film. I think they would have been better off giving Rick and Nick an equal amount of time. I also wish the DVD had more "extras" (It pales in comparison to the DVD of The Wall, which came out almost four years ago). I found the parts with Roger and Alan far more interesting than the rest of the bunch.
Yucateco wrote: A DVD like this about the Wall would also be very nice....
You can say that again!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Gotta agree with RPITI, Roger and Alan had the most interesting bits, especially liked Roger's acoustic rendition of Brain Damage
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

First of all, I relly enjoyed this DVD. As tired as I am of all these "new" releases being put out just to keep us hanging on for something better (or nothing at all) this one has satisfied a hunger.
I think most of you here picked up the same notion that I did...that there is live footage and recordings of Floyd from the 70's. Not bootleg but "official". They must know how much demand is out there for those shows. An anthology cd boxset covering all their years would be fantastic!!!
My wife heard Roger singing the demo for "Time" and couldn't believe it was the same song. Thank goodness for Davids vocals.
All in all, worth the $15 I paid for it. But I gladly would have payed $30 for an official live 1973 recording of DSotM.
Brian
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

You paid $15 for it? I paid 17 pound for it, means i was badly ripped off
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

Yep! Only 15 smack-a-roos!!! For me, Wal-Mart is my own little piece of Heaven.
They are usually pretty cheap on stuff. I just purchased LotR-The Two Towers on Tues. for only $15.(It's even the widescreen :D )
Not too shabby!
Brian
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

floydboy75 wrote:Yep! Only 15 smack-a-roos!!! For me, Wal-Mart is my own little piece of Heaven.
They are usually pretty cheap on stuff. I just purchased LotR-The Two Towers on Tues. for only $15.(It's even the widescreen :D )
Not too shabby!
Brian
Wow, that's like 10 pound for a new release on DVD, other here it's double that atleast for LOTR and as i said 7 pound more for DSOTM

Bargain you got