thoughts on the DSoTM DVD?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

It's nice, b/c I work 3rd shift (11pm-7am) so I'm usually there before they even have new releases put out yet. It feels kind of good knowing that you are the first one to purchase a new release.
It's a shame that you guys don't have a Wal-Mart. Or, would that even make a difference for you? Is music/movie releases cheaper here in the States than in most places?
Brian
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

floydboy75 wrote:It's nice, b/c I work 3rd shift (11pm-7am) so I'm usually there before they even have new releases put out yet. It feels kind of good knowing that you are the first one to purchase a new release.
It's a shame that you guys don't have a Wal-Mart. Or, would that even make a difference for you? Is music/movie releases cheaper here in the States than in most places?
Brian
Depends where i shop, independant shops like Avalanche are nice and cheap on CD's charging 6 quid for most albums (about $10 or something) and same with the independant video stores.

However, places like HMV which sell everything which these indie shops don't always have charges like 15 quid for the same album and much more for videos, it's places like this that sell LOTR1 for 15 quid (about $23) on dvd and 20 quid for LOTR2
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

Well, I usually buy all my new releases from my local Wal-Mart. It's by far the cheapest place around. However, I do run into the occasional "It's not in yet." I looked for the DSotM DVD on Tues and Wed. and they didn't have it. I had to wait until today to get it.
My local record shop just plain blows. The manager tried arguing with me when The Wall-Live was being released. He said I was wrong and that he would know b/c that's his business. The arogance of some idiots!!! Anyway, I told him to go "enjoy" himself. And later, out of curiosity, I strolled back in and low and behold, there it was. So I told him "I was right. I should know, Floyd is MY business." And very casually walked out.
Brian
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

My local shop's cheap but worse at the same time (a nice paradox) 'cause while it sells quality stuff the staff are nasty and the music they play's always like the worst sort you can get, it's like if something's cheap it's a seal of quality that it's good there, they charge 6 quid for WYWH and 15 quid for a POD album
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

Well, my "local shop" is really a national music store chain. I find that when Floyd isn't releasing anything, their albums are cheaper. But, when they re-release an album all their albums go up by a few bucks.
But hey, those are the breaks. What can you do?
Brian
bmet
Knife
Knife

The Record Store Factor

Post by bmet »

Most Record Stores cater to the younger crowds as you know.I only heard a few mentions in the papers and the all news TV stations(The news scroll at the bottom of the screen) about the DVD's eminent release.It will be interesting to see what the sales figures read in the next few weeks.Hopefully,the response will be on par with the Zeppelin DVD release and will hopefully result in the release of the "Syd Barrett Story"
and "Pompei" on DVD over in North America.I've seen no sign of them yet!

Another thought: With this DVD release - How many young teens today seeing this wonderful story of the making this classic album will go buy the CD?
David Smith

Re: The Record Store Factor

Post by David Smith »

bmet wrote: With this DVD release - How many young teens today seeing this wonderful story of the making this classic album will go buy the CD?
I wouldn't think many, to buy the dvd they must have at least heard the album

Then again i guess most people i know that bought the zepplin dvd had only heard like 4 zepplin songs when they did so
bmet
Knife
Knife

Post by bmet »

David Smith wrote:
I wouldn't think many, to buy the dvd they must have at least heard the album
I was thinking of those teens with parents who bought the DVD.I'm not married and don't have kids . I do have a teenage niece and I'd love to set this down in my brother's livingroom and see if it would get played by
her.I think it would be an interesting experiment. :roll:
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Polish premiere of this DVD would be only on the 15th of September. But "Pompeii" premiere is already at the 8th of September!

I do not have enough money to buy both of them, as they're terribly expensive here :? :cry: :cry: . I had to decide, and, of course, my choice is "Live at Pompeii".
Surprisingly, it is cheaper ("Dark Side" is 95.75 zl and "Pompeii" is 89.75 :roll: ).
bmet
Knife
Knife

A Funny Moment at the Cafeteria (Pompeii Clip)

Post by bmet »

There is that brief clip in the DSOTM DVD, (actually the clip is from the Pompeii film when the Band were eating at the Cafeteria),when we see Rick Wright in the background choosing what plate of food he wants from an assistant.It's humorous to me because both plates,I believe,contain the same type of food but he's obviously looking to get the one plate that has the most food or the most of one particular item on it.It's obvious from his expression that he's got the final say on which plate he gets.
:lol:
Not as funny as the "Apple Pie without the Crust" Bit,but I get a chuckle everytime I see it!
Floyd in Texas
Embryo
Embryo

Great DVD...

Post by Floyd in Texas »

I have really enjoyed this DVD. I wish they had mixed the sound for 5.1 I would like to see one for Wish You Were Here or Ummagumma. I'm ready for Pompeii now.

Larry