A Newbie's Guide To Mossification...

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
mosespa

A Newbie's Guide To Mossification...

Post by mosespa »

Mossification is an online discussion technique first implemented (inasmuch as anyone has bothered to keep track of) circa 1999/2000 by a user at pinkfan.net called "mosespa."

The technique was initially deployed so that mosespa could engage in lengthy discussions with people without losing the cohesion of his own points and those of the poster with whom he was discussing. It seems that the discussions were becoming so long and convoluted that mosespa felt it necessary (for the sake of the discussion's continued cohesion) to not only quote the other person in the discussion, but also to number the more significant points and respond to them using a similar number system.

In this manner, the discussion could not only continue along it's original course...but now, responses were also broken down into nice, bite sized chunks which could be addressed in and of themselves at the leisure of anyone who cared to respond.

The downside of Mossification seems to be that people who are unfamiliar with the technique view it as a hostile action due, largely, to their own poor self-esteems and general weakness of character. These people (who usually criticize the method either due to their own apparent inability to see it's convenience, an inability to count higher than "one," or because they're pissed off that they didn't think of it first,) typically have no business engaging in serious, lengthy discussion anyway and are better off taking their skinned knees home to mommy for her to kiss and apply Bactine to.

The mossification technique had been in use for several years before the name by which it is now known was created and applied to the technique. It is now forgotten who the first person to call the technique "Mossification" was...but their contribution to the NPF lexicon will live on long after they have forgotten their password and have to change screen names in order to log in and contribute. :lol: :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A Newbie's Guide To Mossification...

Post by Keith Jordan »

mosespa wrote:1 - Mossification is an online discussion technique first implemented (inasmuch as anyone has bothered to keep track of) circa 1999/2000 by a user at pinkfan.net called "mosespa."

2 - The technique was initially deployed so that mosespa could engage in lengthy discussions with people without losing the cohesion of his own points and those of the poster with whom he was discussing. It seems that the discussions were becoming so long and convoluted that mosespa felt it necessary (for the sake of the discussion's continued cohesion) to not only quote the other person in the discussion, but also to number the more significant points and respond to them using a similar number system.

3 - In this manner, the discussion could not only continue along it's original course...but now, responses were also broken down into nice, bite sized chunks which could be addressed in and of themselves at the leisure of anyone who cared to respond.

4.1 - The downside of Mossification seems to be that people who are unfamiliar with the technique view it as a hostile action due, largely, to their own poor self-esteems and general weakness of character.

4.2 - These people (who usually criticize the method either due to their own apparent inability to see it's convenience, an inability to count higher than "one," or because they're pissed off that they didn't think of it first,) typically have no business engaging in serious, lengthy discussion anyway and are better off taking their skinned knees home to mommy for her to kiss and apply Bactine to.

5 - The mossification technique had been in use for several years before the name by which it is now known was created and applied to the technique. It is now forgotten who the first person to call the technique "Mossification" was...but their contribution to the NPF lexicon will live on long after they have forgotten their password and have to change screen names in order to log in and contribute. :lol: :lol:
1 - I am assuming this "mosespa" you speak of was your good self, Sean??

2 - The technique is a useful one and I really like the clarity it can bring to a discussion. Not only does it help people follow what is going on, and address issues raised in bite-sized chunks, but I guess it also encourages the poster to keep the point they are trying to make in mind. The technique seems to afford the poster moments of clarity in which to logically put arguments forward.

The system itself reminds me of law! Like statutes and things. Section one, paragraph two, section 1 etc. Very useful system.

3 - That is true. Although you do get some fold like Moom who will not even read what you have written, but will simply respond with something like "yes 8) " and leave it at that. But at least the technique of numbering the points helps people piece the thread together when fools like Moom spam it.

4.1 - I am not sure that many people view it as hostile though? I don't think it is the numbering system they view as hostile, more the stuff that comes after the numbers! I don't think people like having their eyes opened, Sean!! Some prefer ignorance and keeping the brain switched off through fear of what they may be capable of!! :lol:

4.2 - People are entitled to their opinion even if it is wrong! :lol:

5 - I am trying to think who the first person was to use the term "mossification". I bet if I searched the forum using the search function, and put the posts in date order, I could probably find the first time it was used - or rather, the earliest record of it within the database as some threads may have been deleted due to people like Moom killing them with one word replies and sending them off topic!

Oops. Am I guilty of Mossifying the Mossificator? :lol:
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

1) I for one fully support this

2) It suits my pedantic nature

3) ... er I forget

6) There is no rule 6
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

hahaha :lol: :lol:
Quick search brings up a post by my breakfast in this thread, seemingly the first "near" mossification, or close encounter of the mossy kind: http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... f=1&t=7984
Last edited by apocalypse on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Indeed, here is the post .... http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... on#p156438

Well done the MyBreakfast!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Mossificator," Brilliant, boss. :D You know, I want to say that it was someone like asydwaters who first coined the phrase...but I'm not sure. The funny thing is, I was at first mildly opposed to the titling of it because I felt that it's something that anyone should be able to do and it didn't seem right that it should be associated with me and me alone. Given my generally anarchic nature, I'm not sure how I feel about a technique named after me being compared to the Law, lol.

4.2. That seems like something that people think should apply to everyone except me, as I seem to be the "ONLY" person on this board who engages in speaking fluent truth no matter HOW unseemly it is, that ends up receiving complaints about it. But...in response to 4.1., I have actually had people tell me that it's not so much what I say that disturbs them, but the numbering system. They feel like I've dissected their statements and taken them out of context, they've told me. And yes, it does seem to have been more than one person. :D Moom IS awesome, though, isn't he? And yes, that WAS me whom I am referring to at the beginning. :lol: :lol:

(I don't think I should have to point out the irony of my failing to mossify in a thread about mossification...but lest someone without a sense of ironic humor read this thread and start lobbing accusations of "hypocrisy" at me, this post has been intentionally structured as a small example of WHY I came up with mossification in the first place. *sigh*)

And so it is revealed to have been our own Alan who invented the term, lol.

Bravo, mate. :D :D
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Bravo, indeed.

Sean, your synapsis of "Mossification" needs to be included on the Wikipedia sight. It reads just like a history book, and I'm a History Major, so that's supposed to be taken as a good thing. :lol: I would love for my son to one day come home from school, where he is being taught via sattelite by a marshan professor, and inform me that he mossified somebody in a class discussion that day. I think in the future where computer nerds will rule the earth and jocks will be largely looked down upon, that it will be the equivalant of kicking someone's butt. Bumperstickers will read- "My son Mossified your honor student" and such. At that point, I could turn on my holographic monitor, go to Wikipedia, and a 3D image of Sean would appear before us along with the definition and it's origins. Then I'll look proudly into my son's eyes and proclaim "son, I knew that man." :lol: :lol: :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

THAT would be awesome!! :lol: :lol:

True story: I had this fifth grade teacher who always used to tell me "I expect GREAT THINGS (emphasis hers, lol,) from you" when I was in her class. Even after I left her class, whenever she'd see me, she'd always tell me that she expected "GREAT THINGS" from me.

I'd just smile, nod and say "yes, Mrs. Shannon."

The two most recent times she said that to me, I think I alarmed her. :lol: :lol:

The next-to-last time that I recall, I told her that I had devoted my life to "the greatest thing of all...I'm going to try to figure it ALL out." She looked at me wide-eyed and said "you'll be all right." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, the last time I saw her, she said it to me again and I said "I've realized, Mrs. Shannon, that I am destined for the kind of greatness that one never sees within their own lifetime. But they're DEFINITELY gonna know who I am many years from now."

Perhaps it'll be for mossification...who knows? :lol: :lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I'm waiting for my royalties boi!!!
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Wow ... so much ego in one thread ... Im fuckin stunned ....
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

wiped wrote:Wow ... so much ego in one thread ... Im fuckin stunned ....
:lol: It is quite amazing! He could write a book about himself!!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

my breakfast. wrote:I'm waiting for my royalties boi!!!
That makes two of us, my cracka. Apparently, at this time, The Mosespa Foundation is not-for-profit. :lol:

Keith Jordan wrote:
wiped wrote:1. Wow ... so much ego in one thread ... Im fuckin stunned ....
2. :lol: It is quite amazing! He could write a book about himself!!
1. Gotta keep my reputation for self-adoration up, you know. :lol: :lol:

2. If only I had the attention span to write a book.
:D :D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

You could do it as an audiobook (released in lossless FLAC or SHN format naturally). It would cut down on overhead costs and save the forests.

A Mossy audiobook would also have the advantage of giving the end user the choice of selecting their Mossification™ of choice, depending on the occasion.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Keith Jordan wrote:
3 - you do get some fold like Moom who will not even read what you have written, but will simply respond with something like "yes 8) " and leave it at that. But at least the technique of numbering the points helps people piece the thread together when fools like Moom spam it.

5 - I am trying to think who the first person was to use the term "mossification". I bet if I searched the forum using the search function, and put the posts in date order, I could probably find the first time it was used - or rather, the earliest record of it within the database as some threads may have been deleted due to people like Moom killing them with one word replies and sending them off topic!

6. Oops. Am I guilty of Mossifying the Mossificator? :lol:
3. Well, I don't do it that often. It's like Ed saying in an Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy cartoon, commenting his use of the word "buttertoast": "Nah, I don't always say "buttertoast"" ;)
5. Again. Though sometimes it is true... :(

6. :lol:, or Sean, what's your word?
And also thanks, Sean :D You all are awesome, except just one guy, who is awesome, but in a different way xoxo :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I don't see why "mosespa" should be the only person who can "Mossify."

A chess player can "do a Bobby Fischer" without actually being Bobby Fischer. :D