A Scary Thought for this 40-Something Guy

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
bmet
Knife
Knife

A Scary Thought for this 40-Something Guy

Post by bmet »

I know I'm getting old when one of my Rock Heros has to wear bifocals
to operate equipment!! (ie. David Gilmour operating the Synthi A controls in the "On the Run" Segment of the new DSOTM DVD). :shock:
As I've said before,the song "Time" has greater meaning as the years go by!
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

That's not that bad--it's when YOU have to start wearing the bifocals yourself, that's when it's really going to suck.

Gilmour did look quite grandfatherly, didn't he? 8)
bmet
Knife
Knife

Post by bmet »

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME!!!!!!.........NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!! :x .......I hope. :?

I forgot to mention Rick Wright's wrinkled craggly hands.I hope to god none of them have liver spots!!!!....NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME!!!!...NEVER,NEVER,NEVER!!!! :evil: ......Boy! It's only midday and I feel like a nap!!!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Don't forget that Rick's appearance is also touched by a former cocaine habit.

Tends to advance one's aging, you know.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Rick's Condition

Post by bmet »

Really! I didn't know that. That's too bad!
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

bmet wrote:NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME!!!!!!.........NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!! :x .......I hope. :?
I had to get a pair of over-the-counter non-prescription reading glasses myself just this year...it's really hard reading menus in restaurants without them. (and they look just like regular fashion wire frames...none of those skinny half--lensed plastic-framed things on a chain that scrawny librarians wear for me!)

I'm resisting bifocals as long as possible because that means I'd have to wear glasses full time...no way.

Speaking of hands, I thought David's hands looked cragglier than Rick's, which I thought was a bit surprising. But they *are* in their late 50s and they sure look better than my parents did at that age (but I'm going to look better than all of them...ha ha!)
pfco

Post by pfco »

mosespa wrote:Don't forget that Rick's appearance is also touched by a former cocaine habit.

Where do you get the idea that Rick had a cocaine habit?

Sandy
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

thats one of the reassons Roger kicked Rick out or Pink Floyd.
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Dude, don't forget that it's just a rumour!!
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

opps my bad. its odd though my rock idol is almost 60(Roger waters) and my friends music idols are in their twenties.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

pfco wrote:
mosespa wrote:Don't forget that Rick's appearance is also touched by a former cocaine habit.

Where do you get the idea that Rick had a cocaine habit?

Sandy
Waters has contended that Wright was too "burnt out" to play...Other observers acknowledge at least a few grains of truth in the widespread story that (as one puts it) "Rick Wright was lobbed out because he was doing far too much coke, and he was out of it."

"[Rick] wasn't doing the job he was paid to do..." - David Gilmour (Circus Magazine)

"[Rick] got the boot because he wasn't contributing in any way to anything." - David Gilmour (To Karl Dallas)

All of the above is from Pg. 235 of A Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey by Nicholas Schaffner

Edit: I don't know what you're trying to suggest but it's certainly going to cause a row with someone else on the forum- David
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I was certain that the Wright rumour was true. Didn't Nick write a book that David tried to stop because, as rumour would have it, it exposed the drug side of things (everybody's). I think there is a certain gaurding of this with the boys, almost an embarrasment! But come on... there was a time when that's what lots of people did; especially Pop stars... comfortably numb in the long run becomes agitatedly dumb. Live through, look back and laugh...
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

I thought it was true too.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

Edit: I don't know what you're trying to suggest but it's certainly going to cause a row with someone else on the forum- David
I dont see how this is relevent.

It was suggested that Rick being kicked out was just rumours, and RPITI just provided evidense to the effect of stating that it wasn't JUST rumours, but based on facts, given by band members

RPITI didnt just say 'Rick was kicked by Roger cos he had too much coke, and this is the truth cos Roger said it', instead he offered some quotes from BDG that convey possible truth.

RPITI wasnt trying to start anything, seamed more to me like he was putting something to rest.

on another note, I'm not going to live past 40, so I've not got to worry about old age.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I think Zee - Identity is proof that Rick did more than just smoke a bit of pot and hash in the '70s...