Depends on my mood...
6%

Total votes: 124

Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Do you like rap?

Post by Stiggs »

I know I'm going to get a lot of varied responses to this, but I thought it would be a good topic, since nobody here can always agree with everything.

I myself do, and I'll tell you why. I have a very open mind when it comes to music. Here's a small excerpt of my cd collection...DJ Tiesto, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Pink Floyd, Slipknot, Camp Lo, Coldplay, blah bla blah. So you see I have a quite varied collection. Rap always appealed to me because people love playing it loud, and it always boomed. So the beats were "cool," but as time went on, names rised and fell, rap went through many phases. Anybody remember Kris Kross? Vanilla Ice? (Vanilla who?) They were the first big names in the hip hop community, they were the ones who brought it to light, got it notice. At first it was people doing stuff like "A hip, hop, the hip hip hop ya don't stop the boogie", staying underground and in the clubs. But out came NWA, n*gaz wit attitudez. Nobody sounded like them, nobody tried to be "gangsta" and when NWA dissolved, the rap game was forever changed. Nothing that special after them until a man by Tupac Amaru Shakur said "Ph*ck the world" and made his mark in the Rap game.

Blah blah blah, names rose and fell some more, but with the death of Tupac, there was a void in the rap game, nobody to give the prime example of what a rapper should be/do/say. Here comes good ol' Sean Combs, better known as Puff Daddy, the manager/producer of "Biggie Smalls," the Notorious B.I.G. If you remember the video for Big Poppa, here's an excerpt from it: "But I'm livin betta now/Gucci sweata now/Drop top, the Ms/I'm the man girlfriend." Those 4 lines forever changed rap, it went from speaking your mind, and talking about your hardships in the ghetto, to saying "I used to be in the ghetto, now I'm rich and I'm the sch*t."
-rap buffs know that B.I.G. and Tupac used to be boyz, Tupac taught Biggie everything he knows about the rap game, but once they went their own ways biggie kind of turned his back on what tupac taught him...this was the basis of their beefs

Leaving the ghetto and rapping about all the stuff you have nowadays has become the basis of every single rap song you hear nowadays. In other words, Rap has sold out. Glitz, glamor (glamour?), gettin girls, spending money, doin lots of drugs.....hmm....can somebody say...GLAM ROCK? Rap nowadays has become what poofy hair bands used to be in the 80s...sellouts. Now don't get me wrong, there is SOME good stuff out there these days, but when it comes to radio play, the good stuff, devoid of glitz and glamor, that stuff gets play and the stuff with soul gets ignored because it "won't sell well" or "it's not good enough for radio." I for one hate the c-rap on the radio, but I still love rap. It's like rooting for the underdog...."Hey, give it a chance and you might just be surprised!"

In other words, I hate 95% of rap that came out after 1996.

Any responses?
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Jesus fucking christ!!!! That post is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I have a motto.... Rap is Crap!

Actually, I would have to say there are a few (and I mean a very few) artists out there that do have talent, but by-in-large it is just the same beat with the same voices in the same tone saying the same things just in different order. This is all my own very humble opinion. :D

PS. Gonzo.... I happen to have very strong religious beliefs and would very much appreciate if you would refrain from writting offensive comments on the person I have the most respect for that has ever lived. If you don't believe in him, that's fine, but please respect those of us who do. :)
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

I thought Gonzos post was hilarious, Ive never understood why people find that offensive, id be flattered if my name was used to express feeling. Sorry, veering off topic there.

I used to like the hip hop that was around in the 80s (I may still have a VW badge somewhere) and still listen to some for nostalgia occasionally but back then it was raw, and fresh, now its all big bloated production and image, and no substance. Theres still the odd track here and there that turns up every so often thats pretty good tho, Im sure no-one here can dispute the masterpiece that is Bug Powder Dust? (especially the Kruder & Dorfmeister remix)
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

My feelings lie somewhere between It SUCKS and Depends on Who's rapping, but for the sake of this poll, they're closer to the SUCK option.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I have never liked rap music. Only descent rap band is Don Johnsson Big Band, it's finnish but I think it coul make it in other countries too. But I don't like rap, DJBB is good but all the else is crap in my eyes.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

I can't figure out what is rap, what is hip hop, and what is shnizzle in the fnizzle.

I like the Beastie Boys very very much. Tribe Called Quest is very good poetry and grooves, and same can be said of Jurrassic 5.

That being said, I don't find most of what is called rap to be good, entertaining, and thought provoking - except the three I mentioned there.

Although, I always am willing to listen to new things.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I have gained a slight appreciation for some rap since I started working in a dance club. I like what Nelly is doing...lotta respect for Missy Elliot...I guess you could say I really prefer the artists who combine with rap with an honest attempt at singing.

50 Cent ain't nothing but a poser, to me.

Without Eminem, he'd be nothing.

Eminem, I think, is a genius.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I don't mind rap because they play it at dances and my friends love it(they all hate Pink Floyd :cry: ). I don't mind dancing to it but it is nothing I would listen to in the car or in my room.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote: I like the Beastie Boys very very much.
Me too :D ! Very intelligent band, making great, innovative, ambitious music! Coool 8) !

Also Cypress Hill and House of Pain weren't bad.

And I used to like mixing rap with thrash or hardcore music, things like Biohazard, Pro-Pain or Dog Eat Dog...
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

I like RHCP

my poop is more pleasant than rap music.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

I used to like rap when I was a kid (Public Enemy, Beastie Boys etc), nowadays, I don't really listen to it much.

Most of the mainstream rap artists are utter rubbish, but there are some decent underground rap acts, that are not just about rapping, but are way more experimental, like; D?lek(they just did a collaboration with Faust), RJ2D, El-P, Mr. Lif, Aesop Rock and so on.....
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I think rap is crap.
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

I don't like rap! Never did.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

For the most part, I think it sucks. I probably have not given it all a fair listen, but, what I have heard, I don't like. I've read some of Eminem's lyrics on this site, and found them very interesting- but I really don't listen to the radio, so don't get much exposure to newer stuff.