Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

N O spells no :P
JT
Blade
Blade

Re: Do you like rap?

Post by JT »

Stiggs wrote: Anybody remember Kris Kross? Vanilla Ice? (Vanilla who?) They were the first big names in the hip hop community, they were the ones who brought it to light, got it notice
Do you really think Kris Kross and Vanilla Ice were part of a movement bringing rap music mainstream ? Rap music was brought to light long before those guys. How about Run DMC, KRS ONE .... old school artisits that really made rap what it is today. Or the breakout of west coast style rap in the 90's brought to you by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg.

Rap is moving in a bad direction right now. Nobody is putting anything out like snoop did with Doggystyle ..... that was one of the best rap albums of all time.

My opinion on rap is that it's 90% crap. There is the occasional artist that does something worth taking notice of. Right now almost everything I hear is garbage. Kanye West is ok, and some of the artists that mix in the R&B vocals are worth listening to.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

HeckTo wrote:Chuck D (Public Enemy!).
Damn. I should have known. :roll:
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

The only rapping I can tolerate is on Not now John by Pink Floyd :o
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:The only rapping I can tolerate is on Not now John by Pink Floyd :o
I proefer AMLOR anytime. Its my favorite!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I quite like Damo Suzuki's 'rapping' on Peking O!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

PublicImage wrote:I quite like Damo Suzuki's 'rapping' on Peking O!
indeed.

I'm turning into Matt Kenny! w00t
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

I don?t like rap.
I?ve said it before; The only 'talking to music' I accept is Roger The Hat... :P
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

my breakfast. wrote:
The Gunner's Dream wrote:The only rapping I can tolerate is on Not now John by Pink Floyd :o
I proefer AMLOR anytime. Its my favorite!
The Final Feckin' Cut is better, by far.

Your an ass, Alan. The more you say you like DB and AMLOR the less respect people will have for you (except for Gem) :lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Your an ass, Alan. The more you say you like DB and AMLOR the less respect people will have for you (except for Gem) :lol:
But Auntie Gem counts for at least 4 people in terms of intellegence Gus! :D
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Yes, we all love Gemmy and her intelligence, but isn't saying that just another way for you to *cough* suck up? :lol:
matknny
Hammer
Hammer

Post by matknny »

Depends on who's rapping...
GoRinNosho
Axe
Axe

Post by GoRinNosho »

For me rap started with Kurtis Blow - the Breaks, back in 1980, when i was a DJ myself. Sugarhill Gang & Grandmaster Flash (a mate of Blow) followed. Liked it then, not only as a dancefloor filler, also cos' it was "new" and exciting, and had some serious texts (some albums did). But perhaps i was already too deep into Floyd by then. Have lost any connection with the genre since, nowadays althought i sometimes hear a song that attracts my attention, its either skip, fast forward or next... no modern rap for me.

Regards, have fun & enjoy, Musashi :smt020

"Internet, ain't it all about communication?"

{typo edited} :)
Last edited by GoRinNosho on Wed May 24, 2006 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ESLAFTK2112

Re: Do you like rap?

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

JT wrote:
Stiggs wrote: Anybody remember Kris Kross? Vanilla Ice? (Vanilla who?) They were the first big names in the hip hop community, they were the ones who brought it to light, got it notice
Do you really think Kris Kross and Vanilla Ice were part of a movement bringing rap music mainstream ? Rap music was brought to light long before those guys. How about Run DMC, KRS ONE .... old school artisits that really made rap what it is today. Or the breakout of west coast style rap in the 90's brought to you by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg.

Rap is moving in a bad direction right now. Nobody is putting anything out like snoop did with Doggystyle ..... that was one of the best rap albums of all time.

My opinion on rap is that it's 90% crap. There is the occasional artist that does something worth taking notice of. Right now almost everything I hear is garbage. Kanye West is ok, and some of the artists that mix in the R&B vocals are worth listening to.
MC Hammer, Run DMC and The Beastie Boys was the only successful rap stuff but then acts like Vanilla Ice, 3RD BASS and females like Salt and Pepa commercialized it in 1990/1991. Then, gangsta rap which was mainly underground didn't break open mainstream until 1993 with Dr Dre's solo debut The Chronic. Then Snoop Dogg, BIG and 2Pac solidified gangsta rap's place in music. Then you had people who loved controversy like Lauryn Hill who once said "I'd rather my baby starve than a white man buy my album". Seems like history is repeating itself with Kanye West who is a racist bigot. He threw a hissy fit when he lost a Best New Artist Award to first country star Gretchen Wilson and then Maroon 5 and said Dick Clark was a racist. Then the bigot said the white man was responsible for AIDS and lest not forget his statement to GW Bush. He got jeered a week later by 55,000 people for his big mouth when he played via satellite at a Patriots football game. Now we have Juvenile who is repeating what Kanye did and on top of that is a racist, deadbeat dad with a criminal record who loves glorifying violence towards women, shooting fellow dudes, stealing, pillaging and drugs.
RAP has become a CARICATURE OF ITSELF!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:rapping on Not now John by Pink Floyd :o
:?: