swear filter on or off?

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.

Swear filter on or off?

On
38%
Off
52%
Not bothered
10%

Total votes: 29

seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I think that its totally appropriate that swearwords are astricted out. I mean, a swear word is just a generic word that is hardly ever used in context, with the sole purpose of shock and/or effect. They are often used because of a lack of imaginative ability to describe feelings, ideas, or events. So what does a swear word really do that a bunch of astricts do not do?
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

we could finally post real lyrics of not now john :lol:
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Ha ha ha! That was so * funny Stupidus, I almost forgot to laugh! jk... Swearing doesnt bother me in the slightest, I have infact been known to swear up a storm now and then. But I know not everyone share the same beliefs (expect of course maybe the tooth fairy). So unless its an over whelming amount of votes for turning it off, I think its fine where it is. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from posting here, just because of some stupid cussing.

*(I was going to put ****ing but decided against it)
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

I would say: turn it off. A post full of ****** is just as offensive to me as a post in which the words are literally spelled out...

In the end it's all a matter of trust in each other, that we are able to behave ourselves... and someone who cannot, can always be told he should. But i think it should be my choice to behave and stay or to swear and get banned.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think the substitution filter should be used.

I've always thought it funny when someone who is trying to cuss in their post ends up interrupted by a word that is more often a complete non-sequiter.

Kind of illustrates the idiocy of cursing in the first place...mind you, this is coming from Massac County High School's filthiest mouth, 1989.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am sure a lot of people access the forum from work and, more often than not, if a page has expletives on, the whole page will be blocked by company software and we wouldn't want that!! :)

Swearing is filthy anyway. Can be fucking funny at the right time but still not nice!
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

Just keep the filter ON!

Thankyou.
Jangus
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jangus »

i dont really care, but i voted no, because there is swearing in floyd music. Not often though, so you can ban people for a week if they do it a lot but an occasional swear word is harmless.

Ex: Nobody Home: "I got thirteen channels of sh** on the tv to choose from."

I dont know if this is posted after it has been turned off if it has so i added the *s.
Batchain115
Axe
Axe

Post by Batchain115 »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:
David Smith wrote:i would think when you turn like 3o you would tend to swear a bit less and be offended by the frequence some people do it with
Um...no...me, the opposite.

I'm the sole "can't be bothered."
No, you're not the sole "can't be bothered" and "opposite" type, Pugs. (And that "turning 30" idea is entirely out of someone's imagination.) Ha! Too bad there's no room to tell that funny little personal anecdote about a 5 year-old, his "mama" and "nana" and how it was his "F****** FILTHY-MOUTHED FATHER'S FAULT!" that he "expressed himself" the way he did that day.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Keep it on...i know that if people started abusiong the swearing id leave right away. :(
And i dont want to do that cause i like this site and everybody on it!