Did Syd show up to the AHM sessions?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Did Syd show up to the AHM sessions?

Post by cwta eugene »

According to Schaffner, Ron Geesin has stated that Syd showed up at the AHM sessions? Is this true? Why have the band never mentioned it?
mosespa

Re: Did Syd show up to the AHM sessions?

Post by mosespa »

Having just looked that passage up, it looks like they may not have been there when Syd showed up.

It appears (judging by what I've just looked at and my own memory of the section of the book,) that the band just left Geesin to get on with it. Maybe Syd showed up while it was just Geesin and the orchestra and choir or something.

Another possibility is that everyone in the band seemed (at various times) to be trying to forget AHM on the whole. :lol: :lol:
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

mosespa wrote:Another possibility is that everyone in the band seemed (at various times) to be trying to forget AHM on the whole. :lol: :lol:
That´d be my two cents also.
R. Geesin didn´t like him, maybe because Syd was chuckling too much in the studio. So to answer your topic is yes.
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

Post by theshockofthenew »

Well, I seem to remember reading that he popped in occasionally while he was recording 'Barrett' (or arranging - can't remember) with Gilmour. Allegedly some sound guy (sorry kids, I don't know much about the people who recorded the Floyd so those of you in the know will have to guess to whom I'm referring) is quoted as saying that it made him sick how much the other members of PF as well as the producer were so reverential to Barrett while he just thought Syd was a washed-out nut case.
Anyway, yeah, there are those who have confirmed that Barrett used to sit in the control room while PF were recording Atom Heart Mother.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Yes, it must have been in the Schaffner book Mossy always mentions theshockofthenew...I think that line you mention "washed-out nut case", is an actually quote in that book...I think.
crowman
Blade
Blade

Post by crowman »

It probably wasn't particularly unusual for Syd to be hanging around the AHM sessions, as he was recording Barrett at the same time, also at Abbey Road. Syd's sessions seem to have been booked to coincide with the Floyd sessions, with every few Floyd days being matched by a Barrett day, no doubt to make things easier for Dave and Rick.

Different from the Wish You Were Here visit, where he really turned up out of the blue.
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

Post by theshockofthenew »

Hogtown wrote:Yes, it must have been in the Schaffner book Mossy always mentions theshockofthenew...I think that line you mention "washed-out nut case", is an actually quote in that book...I think.
Yeah, cheers, hun! That's probably where I read it. I've read so many books about Syd and PF that I've lost track now. It's all just random information floating about in my head with no reference point. How sad is that? :( :D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I've seen Ron Geesin in interviews - it's a good job he didn't have to work with Syd during the era. It would have made dealing with the session players on AHM look like a stroll in the park :D I wonder when did the guys from Pink Floyd last see Syd before 1975 though.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

"Washed Out Nutcase".....God, I love the misinformed!! He was recording an ALBUM...... he couldn't have been too bad.
Reverential Treatment!?! How about they were saying Hi & being cool to an old friend; 2 of whom (Rog & Dave) he grew up with!! @ 2 who were producing HIS album?! We KNOW he had problems but here we go w/ this URBAN #$%%^^ AGAIN!
God!! Wake the &*(^%$ up! Alot of really cool people come to this site & it seems just as many dumb asses as well....
Seems kind of sad!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

[quote="oldperfume"]"Washed Out Nutcase".....God, I love the misinformed!! He was recording an ALBUM...... he couldn't have been too bad.
Reverential Treatment!?! How about they were saying Hi & being cool to an old friend; 2 of whom (Rog & Dave) he grew up with!! @ 2 who were producing HIS album?! We KNOW he had problems but here we go w/ this URBAN #$%%^^ AGAIN!
God!! Wake the &*(^%$ up! Alot of really cool people come to this site & it seems just as many dumb asses as well....
Seems kind of sad![/
quote]

So you dig up a nearly 2 year old thread to spam it with your usual "Bawwwww, nobody understands Syd but me. Baaaaawwww" bullshit? Good work. Keep it up.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Hey My breakfast:
FYI OK!?! I just joined & was looking over old threads & saw one that bothered me. It's not "Poor old Syd" either. If you comprehend the written word you'll see I was saying that they were all friends & they happened to be recording @ the same time. Floyd knew what Syd was going thru & were being nice to him.Where's the problem? I also noted, like I do w/ all my posts that this was just my opinion. Having a bad holiday season? Seems you were going thru old threads too. What, do as I say, not as I do!? Stay Classy, My breakfast.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

oldperfume wrote:Hey My breakfast:
FYI OK!?! I just joined & was looking over old threads & saw one that bothered me. It's not "Poor old Syd" either. If you comprehend the written word you'll see I was saying that they were all friends & they happened to be recording @ the same time. Floyd knew what Syd was going thru & were being nice to him.Where's the problem? I also noted, like I do w/ all my posts that this was just my opinion. Having a bad holiday season? Seems you were going thru old threads too. What, do as I say, not as I do!? Stay Classy, My breakfast.
Once again your post is pure conjecture. Syd and the rest of the Floyd were bosom pals by this stage? Didn't Syd come to a gig in 1969 and sit infront of Gilmour and stare at him for the whole gig? Hardly friendly stuff. I am having a good holiday season, thanks for asking and I do intend to stay classy.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

This is why I love this forum, people like you who like to debate. Seriously. Syd showing up @ Floyd shows is nothing new. Gilmour said that At 1st he was a little creeped out by it but understood why Syd did it. The way he left the group is a different way to dump a guy from the group, don't you think?> "Fuck it, Let's not bother". I believe those were the words.
Top that off w/being mentally ill, ya I can see Syd showing up at gigs. He named them, wrote the music & lyrics, sang & played guitar. This ALL should have been handled differently, don't you think? Syd was being a complete cretin as well & the rest of Floyd took it personal, which they should have & they even tried to get Syd some help & he refused. There's enough blame to go around.Out of curiousity, do you even LIKE Barrett? I ask this seriously, not as a joke. People come on this forum just to bash him & I don't understand why. Some Syd-ophiles think he did no wrong & I don't agree. The AHM sessions I think they were being nice to Syd because 1) He was still a friend, despite all they had to go thru w/him. 2) And most importantly they were in the same studio cutting albums & Dave & Rick were producing Syd's album. Why not sit in & see what your old band was up to? Seems all the studio people had a problem with it but not the Floyd or Syd. To me musically, Syd is a great one. Never have heard ANYONE like him, but he has his faults. Keep in touch; nice to debate with smart people instead of this "Syd is God" people who really need to see all sides of this story.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

theshockofthenew wrote:Allegedly some sound guy (sorry kids, I don't know much about the people who recorded the Floyd so those of you in the know will have to guess to whom I'm referring) is quoted as saying that it made him sick how much the other members of PF as well as the producer were so reverential to Barrett while he just thought Syd was a washed-out nut case.
Wasn't that Alan Parsons?