Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

Yeah I was wondering about that too.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

My friends all love hip hop ,pop and country so I am trying to get them to listen to Pink Floyd but so far it has not worked. I got my brother to like The Wall.
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

To me it's a problem to show Pink Floyd music to other people, because I always (or almost always) find that those people say they like PF, but it's only a pose, maybe because it's cool to like some classic rock bands like PF...

There are 2 patterns very common to me when I try to talk about PF with other people, mostly in my faculty...

1.-
Person: "Hey, so you like Pink Floyd??"

Stilgar: "Yes, I do... I'm a fan... you like them??"

Person: "YES!!, they are one of the greatest rock bands ever!!!"

Stilgar: "and which one is your favorite album??"

Person: "The Wall... the best!!!... the soundtrack for that movie is great!!!" :shock:

Stilgar: "umm, let me tell you that it was the album that inspired the movie... the album was released before the movie..."

Person: "Oh..., anyway... you went to see Roger Waters when he came??"

Stilgar: "Yes!! it was a great show... have you listened to his solo work?"

Person: "Yes!! I like all of his albums"

Stilgar: "My favorite of his albums is Amused to Death"

Person: "Amused to What????... no, my fav song of Roger is We Don't Need No Education..." :shock:

-End of conversation, just to avoid any agression towards "Person"...

2.-
Person: "Hey, what are u listening??"

Stilgar (listening Animals on his walkman): "Pink Floyd..."

Person: "Oh, cool, the best band ever!!!, let me listen"

Stilgar: "ok" (Stilgar passes earphones to Person)

Person: "Ohh, what a long song... kinda boring... don't you have that song... we don't need no education???" :shock:

-Again, Stilgar ends conversation, trying to avoid any agression towards "Person"...
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

You forgot the line "I love Pink Floyd!!! HE is the best!" :roll: :lol:
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

seamusz wrote:You forgot the line "I love Pink Floyd!!! HE is the best!" :roll: :lol:
Yes!! that line is classic!!! :lol:
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

"So, which one's Pink?"....

It's the same with Jethro Tull, I guess; a friend of mine is into Jethro Tull, and she aboslutely HATES when they ask who's Jethro......

And about posers...oh, gosh, I still remember, around 1994, by the time of The Divission Bell, actually, EVERYBODY seemed to be into Pink Floyd...what the hell? I kept hearing about them, day in, day out...the same idiots who were into Nirvana and Pearl Jam, when it was 'hip' to be grunge...

I wasn't even into Pink Floyd at the time, I confess, but at least, I was real!! (I was 100% into The Beatles, and they're still my first love)
And my interest grew real and untainted, as well, and I'm thankful for that.
I'm thankful I apreciated it by myself, and I'm even glad I started with Piper. Can't get a better PF education than that.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Stilgar wrote:To me it's a problem to show Pink Floyd music to other people, because I always (or almost always) find that those people say they like PF, but it's only a pose, maybe because it's cool to like some classic rock bands like PF...

(examples of being a poser)
I've never tried to convert anyone who was really a poser and said they liked them. I usually just get "I like that 'we don't need no education' song" or "I like that song Money."
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

No one of my classmates are Floyd fans...Everytime time I ask anyone of them which is their fav floyd song, they say one of the 2 options below:
a. ABITW 2 (classic, it sounds like it's the only floyd good song. Even brick 1 is better!)
b.Wish you were here

Sometimes someone talks about ''money'', but it's too rare...
Anyway, these 2 songs are A L W A Y S mentioned as their fav by non-floyd true fans (although I love wish you were here).
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Here is much the same... ABITW p 2 is very popular, and Wish you were Here is another song they all know... it's like PF had only released that 2 songs... by the way, all the guys trying to sound "cool" with their guitars, sit down in front of the girls and play WYWH... it makes me sick... I guess those guys think is a love song or something like that...

Oh, and I forgot anoher typical pattern, that happened to me a couple of times:

Person: "So, what are u listening??"

Stilgar (listning PF on his walkman): "Pink Floyd..."

Person: " :shock: do you like Pink Floyd????"

Stilgar: "Yep, why?? :? "

Person: "They're satanic!!! I don't like them!!!"

Stilgar: " :shock: ..... :? .... :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Stilgar wrote: Person: "So, what are u listening??"

Stilgar (listning PF on his walkman): "Pink Floyd..."

Person: " :shock: do you like Pink Floyd????"

Stilgar: "Yep, why?? :? "

Person: "They're satanic!!! I don't like them!!!"

Stilgar: " :shock: ..... :? .... :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
:lol: How dare this guy could say floyd are satanic? Their songs talk about the society, world's situation, etc. I would laugh loud and a lot too :lol: :wink:
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

Usually what happens with me goes something like this.

They see one of the CD covers and go, 'Damn! You're listening to Pink Floyd? God! That's so weird. Do you know their song, We don't need do education, was banned in South Africa? and there was this guy who killed his mother and grandmother after listening to The Wall'

It pisses the living hell outta me.

Although my reply after taking off the ear phones is, Hmmm? Are you talking to me?
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

my friends are like this "Pink Floyd, there lame" or "Pink Floyd sucks".
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Ridan wrote:and there was this guy who killed his mother and grandmother after listening to The Wall'
Maybe you should have pointed out that MILLIONS of people have been murdered by Bible fanatics...
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:
Ridan wrote:and there was this guy who killed his mother and grandmother after listening to The Wall'
Maybe you should have pointed out that MILLIONS of people have been murdered by Bible fanatics...
Especially if the person was one of those massively religious people. Then you should have posted that entire conversation on here.